Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Advice on buying furniture

Advice on buying furniture

Old Jul 27th 2009, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Shasha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on buying furniture

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has some advice on good quality furniture stores in Goa, preferably in and around Panjim but N. Goa OK too. I need to furnish my house and have looked at Origins, which I like a lot, but want to know what else is out there. And furnishings too (other than Fab India and Yamini, both of which I know well). Thanks.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

catpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on buying furniture

We bought our lounge furniture from Crystal Interiors who have showrooms in Mapusa, Panjim and Margao.

For soft furnishings and blinds try Habitat near Parra, on the road from Calangute to Mapusa.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Bryson7 will become famous soon enoughBryson7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shasha
Hello,

I wonder if anyone has some advice on good quality furniture stores in Goa, preferably in and around Panjim but N. Goa OK too. I need to furnish my house and have looked at Origins, which I like a lot, but want to know what else is out there. And furnishings too (other than Fab India and Yamini, both of which I know well). Thanks.
Hi Shasha,
Just do not part with any money until you are completely satisfied with the items you purchase especially if you have furniture made! As trying to get things replaced is a nightmare.
I believe that there is a furniture thread on this site already.
Regards Bryson
Old Jul 28th 2009, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

leegrand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bryson7
Hi Shasha,
Just do not part with any money until you are completely satisfied with the items you purchase especially if you have furniture made! As trying to get things replaced is a nightmare.
I believe that there is a furniture thread on this site already.
Regards Bryson
Hi Shasha. There is a very large, very moden store in Merces near Panjim.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

billy 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Hi Shasha

Just seen your enquiry regarding furniture - we used Origins because we liked what we saw unfortunately never again - we had to pay all monies up front bit mistake - they told us this was how things were done in Goa - have found out since only pay 50% and balance when completely happy - let them now in plenty of time when were where due to arrive could never get hold of anyone - spent a fortune on phone calls eventually after over a week of waiting at the apartment as delivery promised each day - when it did arrive while we were very pleased with the bedroom furniture but both the dinning and front room furniture of poor quality - we had bought whole package? but no mattresses arrived told no longer in package had to buy these from elsewhere - the whole service was very poor we felt once they had received monies not interested - never mind lesson learnt - on a much better not we used Elisher Enterprise in Calangute for electical items excellent service.

Good Luck

Billy 1
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Bryson7 will become famous soon enoughBryson7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by billy 1
Hi Shasha

Just seen your enquiry regarding furniture - we used Origins because we liked what we saw unfortunately never again - we had to pay all monies up front bit mistake - they told us this was how things were done in Goa - have found out since only pay 50% and balance when completely happy - let them now in plenty of time when were where due to arrive could never get hold of anyone - spent a fortune on phone calls eventually after over a week of waiting at the apartment as delivery promised each day - when it did arrive while we were very pleased with the bedroom furniture but both the dinning and front room furniture of poor quality - we had bought whole package? but no mattresses arrived told no longer in package had to buy these from elsewhere - the whole service was very poor we felt once they had received monies not interested - never mind lesson learnt - on a much better not we used Elisher Enterprise in Calangute for electical items excellent service.

Good Luck

Billy 1
Hi Billy1
Sound advice.
We had the same problems with Origins, looks nice in the show room, but a nightmare if you want things made and delivered, poor workmanship, failed delivery dates, god knows how many broken promises. A real nightmare. Thet are not cheap either.
Double check every little detail as the finish to bits you don't usually see is poor.
Regards Bryson
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Hello,

Hi Sasha,
We had our furniture made by Mairaj Manual Arts in Baga .
Its all made to your own requirments including carving detail etc.
The quality is outstanding.
Walnut is excellant as it lasts beyond a lifetime and withstands the humidity of Goa.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Mum2randa is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Sasha,
We had our furniture made by Mairaj Manual Arts in Baga .
Its all made to your own requirments including carving detail etc.
The quality is outstanding.
Walnut is excellant as it lasts beyond a lifetime and withstands the humidity of Goa.
Hi all,

I am coming to Goa in October to take posession of our Acron apartment at Villa Vera. So, I have been interested in this thread about furniture.
Can anyone give me any advice on what I should expect to pay for furniture.
For example, I will be wanting a bed settee for the living room with matching chairs and coffee table. What sort of price would I have to pay for these items, assuming, not the cheapest but not the most expensive either - a sort of middle price? The Baga shop sounds interesting as it isn`t far from our Villa.

Many thanks

Jenny
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mum2randa
Hi all,

I am coming to Goa in October to take posession of our Acron apartment at Villa Vera. So, I have been interested in this thread about furniture.
For example, I will be wanting a bed settee for the living room with matching chairs and coffee table. What sort of price would I have to pay for these items, assuming, not the cheapest but not the most expensive either - a sort of middle price? The Baga shop sounds interesting as it isn`t far from our Villa.

Many thanks

Jenny
Hi Jenny, I bought a bed settee at a furniture shop in Panjim last Feb. I paid 23,000 rupees so it was not cheap but it has a nice wooden frame (no carving - dust collectors) and I was able to choose the material for the cover. It was delivered 3 days later but the frame was the wrong colour so I phoned and the next day they came out and changed the frame over for one the correct colour. They also told me where the material came from and I was able to go and buy enough to cover the cushions on my arm chairs to match. Sorry, I do not recall the name of the shop and the receipt is back in my apartment and I dont go back for another month.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mum2randa
Hi all,

Many thanks

Jenny
Hi Jenny,
Heres a pic of some furniture items we got. The settee is a sofa bed.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/remysh...32852168385522
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Mum2randa is on a distinguished road

Hi and many thanks to you both for your replies. It gives me some idea of what is available and costs