Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

One-night accommodation , at/near Autobahn

One-night accommodation , at/near Autobahn

Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default One-night accommodation , at/near Autobahn

Hi ,
when driving down from eg Aachen/Cologne , or Saarbruecken , towards Salzburg :
any ideas , where to sleep over well and good , not too far off the beaten track ?
Whereas the Ibis/Accor hotels are great , they all appear to be in the inner cities , which can be a great waste of travelling time , especially in places like Muenich ;
we had a great overnight stay , right off the Autobahn , somewhere near Nuernberg , 2 yrs' ago , at a Best Western claiming to be the oldest M-way rest-station in all of Germany , sadly : the details escape me now .
Many thanks for any help/suggestions !
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One-night accommodation , at/near Autobahn

Type in Big Western Nürnberg and lots of details come up.
Have a good journey
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Thanks , A. !
I owned a brochure once , detailing all the petrol stations , WCs , restaurants , shops , beds , even churches on the German Autobahns ;
some science , this !
Pity I threw it out ; now , just thinking of going off the route into e.g. Schwabing , after having just done 800 km in a day can be quite taxing ...and , unless the trip was particularly well planned and all the bookings placed in advance : once you arrive late in the day , most hotels usually are full , in my ( many ) experiences .
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link

http://www.rast.de/services/leistung...n/index_en.php

have a nice trip
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanxxxx , Nina !
This is pretty much the brochure I carelessly discarded , pity I can't access the info when I'm on the road , though ...
there IS a station , in the Nuernberg area , which claims to be Germany's first/oldest Autobahn station ...any ideas ?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
Thanxxxx , Nina !
This is pretty much the brochure I carelessly discarded , pity I can't access the info when I'm on the road , though ...
there IS a station , in the Nuernberg area , which claims to be Germany's first/oldest Autobahn station ...any ideas ?
Sorry no clue. I'm originally from near Munic, then moved to the Uk and now live in Canada. Haven't lived in Germany for a while and don't know the Nuernberg area too well. Try Wikipedia good luck
Old Aug 7th 2010, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

In my humble opinion : daytime driving , once you've done 300-400-500 km , at very best speeds you and the car can manage , ( all of which would be highly illegal in most of the rest of the world , BTW )
( or alternatively : after you've sat for hours in the Staus/roadworks , sadly ) ,
nothing beats a warm Bockwuerst mit Kartoffelsalat ( und a chilled Warsteiner ) ;
unless it's the Schweinshaxe you opt for , Aachen-Sud is great for those ;
at nite , the later it gets , the expectations change upwards ( and are often well-fullfilled , in Deutschland ! ) .
Here's hoping I still find , somehow , that same great Autobahn-hotel/motel place to arrive at , after midnite , and to enjoy the same really good food , nice room , friendly service and the rest , when next I get to race those Autobahns , up & down , Bruxelles to Adriatic and thereabouts .
( Austria also is not bad , either - and seaside Slovenia : the grub often is really great !!! If you like that kind of thing...)