British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/)
-   -   One-night accommodation , at/near Autobahn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/one-night-accommodation-near-autobahn-678180/)

Ray51 Jul 25th 2010 2:48 pm

One-night accommodation , at/near Autobahn

Hi ,
when driving down from eg Aachen/Cologne , or Saarbruecken , towards Salzburg :
any ideas , where to sleep over well and good , not too far off the beaten track ?
Whereas the Ibis/Accor hotels are great , they all appear to be in the inner cities , which can be a great waste of travelling time , especially in places like Muenich ;
we had a great overnight stay , right off the Autobahn , somewhere near Nuernberg , 2 yrs' ago , at a Best Western claiming to be the oldest M-way rest-station in all of Germany , sadly : the details escape me now .
Many thanks for any help/suggestions !

notathome Jul 26th 2010 2:51 pm

Re: One-night accommodation , at/near Autobahn

Type in Big Western Nürnberg and lots of details come up.
Have a good journey

Ray51 Jul 27th 2010 7:16 am

Thanks , A. !
I owned a brochure once , detailing all the petrol stations , WCs , restaurants , shops , beds , even churches on the German Autobahns ;
some science , this !
Pity I threw it out ; now , just thinking of going off the route into e.g. Schwabing , after having just done 800 km in a day can be quite taxing ...and , unless the trip was particularly well planned and all the bookings placed in advance : once you arrive late in the day , most hotels usually are full , in my ( many ) experiences .

ninaDGBCA Aug 5th 2010 1:20 am

Try this link

http://www.rast.de/services/leistung...n/index_en.php

have a nice trip :D

Ray51 Aug 5th 2010 9:22 am

Thanxxxx , Nina !
This is pretty much the brochure I carelessly discarded , pity I can't access the info when I'm on the road , though ...
there IS a station , in the Nuernberg area , which claims to be Germany's first/oldest Autobahn station ...any ideas ?

ninaDGBCA Aug 5th 2010 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ray51 (Post 8754490)
Thanxxxx , Nina !
This is pretty much the brochure I carelessly discarded , pity I can't access the info when I'm on the road , though ...
there IS a station , in the Nuernberg area , which claims to be Germany's first/oldest Autobahn station ...any ideas ?

Sorry no clue. I'm originally from near Munic, then moved to the Uk and now live in Canada. Haven't lived in Germany for a while and don't know the Nuernberg area too well. Try Wikipedia good luck:D

Ray51 Aug 7th 2010 1:45 pm

In my humble opinion : daytime driving , once you've done 300-400-500 km , at very best speeds you and the car can manage , ( all of which would be highly illegal in most of the rest of the world , BTW )
( or alternatively : after you've sat for hours in the Staus/roadworks , sadly ) ,
nothing beats a warm Bockwuerst mit Kartoffelsalat ( und a chilled Warsteiner ) ;
unless it's the Schweinshaxe you opt for , Aachen-Sud is great for those ;
at nite , the later it gets , the expectations change upwards ( and are often well-fullfilled , in Deutschland ! ) .
Here's hoping I still find , somehow , that same great Autobahn-hotel/motel place to arrive at , after midnite , and to enjoy the same really good food , nice room , friendly service and the rest , when next I get to race those Autobahns , up & down , Bruxelles to Adriatic and thereabouts .
( Austria also is not bad , either - and seaside Slovenia : the grub often is really great !!! If you like that kind of thing...)