Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Germany or Denmark?

Germany or Denmark?

Old Jul 5th 2008, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Tymetravler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Germany or Denmark?

My family and I are contemplating living in Germany or Denmark.

I am in the final stages of accepting a job offer from a company with an option to be based in Germany or Denmark. My gross earnings will be in the 65-70K Euro range. Which location would give me a better (lower) cost of living?

Advice is welcome.

~Tymetraveler
Old Jul 5th 2008, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Soros is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Germany or Denmark?

Originally Posted by Tymetravler

I am in the final stages of accepting a job offer from a company with an option to be based in Germany or Denmark. My gross earnings will be in the 65-70K Euro range. Which location would give me a better (lower) cost of living?

Advice is welcome.

~Tymetraveler
Like for like, Germany will - with out a doubt - provide you with the lower cost of living.

Income taxes are massive in Denmark (effective tax of 63% in the third tax band, which sets in at aprox £36K), add to that VAT of 25%, car taxes of 180%, duties on electricity in the area of 200%, etc.

Danish (especially Copenhagen) house prices are some of the most inflated in Europe, whereas German houses (e.g. in Berlin) are up for petty cash.

However, life quality all comes down to where in Germany or Denmark you would be living.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Tymetravler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Soros
Like for like, Germany will - with out a doubt - provide you with the lower cost of living.

Income taxes are massive in Denmark (effective tax of 63% in the third tax band, which sets in at aprox £36K), add to that VAT of 25%, car taxes of 180%, duties on electricity in the area of 200%, etc.

Danish (especially Copenhagen) house prices are some of the most inflated in Europe, whereas German houses (e.g. in Berlin) are up for petty cash.

However, life quality all comes down to where in Germany or Denmark you would be living.
Thanks Soros--that does appear extremely high. I read somewhere of expatriates being entitled to a lower 25% tax rate. Would I qualify for that? I will be based in Brande if I choose to work out of Denmark and Hamburg if Germany.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Soros is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Soros--that does appear extremely high. I read somewhere of expatriates being entitled to a lower 25% tax rate. Would I qualify for that? I will be based in Brande if I choose to work out of Denmark and Hamburg if Germany.
It's true - well paid expats can qualify for a 25% income tax rate for three years or (as a new option) 33% for five years, provided that you earn in excess of DKK 61.700 (aprox. £6.2K) per month.

With the above indicated salary level you won't qualify for the tax break for expats -but are well within the reach of the highest Danish tax band of 63%.

Brande is smack in the middle of absolutely nowhere, and at least 1-2 hours drive from anything that is remotely more interesting than, say Milton Keynes (any harm was incidental and not intentional).

If you are in or around London, you can fly over with Ryan Air to Billund (which is neighboring Brande) and check it out for a few days.

However, real estate will be cheap, maybe even cheaper than Hamburg.

Even as a Dane, I would choose Hamburg over Brande any time, unless you would receive considerably less cash.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:42 am
Just Joined

AutumnWitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tymetravler,

where did you and your family end up? Germany or Denmark?

I am in Hamburg half the year, and it is a really beautiful city

AutumnWitch
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suka
tap://wy.bursas.com/edit/argo.fop?id=40504 which it !!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Is this intended to be a permanent move and if so, would there be any plan to become a citizen of that country? German citizenship isn't all that easy to get, but Danish citizenship is one of the most difficult in Europe.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Advice is welcome.

~Tymetraveler
Just noticed this thread so you have more than likely made your choice..wonder was it Germany? If so sound choice....My feelings towards Germany is that it is one of the most under rated countries in Europe.
Hamburg is one of my personal fave cities in Europe and a cool place to boot.
Does rain quite a bit though and weather perhaps not the highlight.
To top it of rent in Germany is now among the most affordable in Europe.
Saying that rents in Hamburg are in the higher bracket for the country.
Denmark also like(lived more than half a year in Nyborg,Fyn provence)but as another stated it is not cheap by any means.
Whatever both places good, so enjoy'
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Water is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Germany or Denmark?

Both the countries have their own advantages. Germany is the choice of metropolitans. No matter Denmark is also good to start. But I think we should go to a place where You and your family feels comfortable and ease in, like: language, expenditure, etc.

All the best