Winter tyres

Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:19 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Winter tyres

Anyone bought winter tyres in France? I've decided to get some but my two local tyre centres were extremely unhelpful this weekend with responses of "No, we don't have any in that size" accompanied by gallic shrugs. These standard sized Ford Focus tyres but apparently these tyre centres are not able to offer such luxuries as ordering specific items for customers. So it looks like I need to buy my own online and arrange for a local garage to fit them. Any recommendations welcome, especially as I'm also wondering whether like with many things its cheaper to buy in UK even with the shipping costs?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter tyres

Originally Posted by Herman
Anyone bought winter tyres in France? I've decided to get some but my two local tyre centres were extremely unhelpful this weekend with responses of "No, we don't have any in that size" accompanied by gallic shrugs. These standard sized Ford Focus tyres but apparently these tyre centres are not able to offer such luxuries as ordering specific items for customers. So it looks like I need to buy my own online and arrange for a local garage to fit them. Any recommendations welcome, especially as I'm also wondering whether like with many things its cheaper to buy in UK even with the shipping costs?
There was a short news report on French tv about a week ago, that car snow tyres and chains were in such demand that the garages/supermarkets were unable to supply, and had been told by the suppliers that they had no idea when stocks may become available again.
I'll be driving past a large auto supplier later today, and call in to check to see if the situation is improving.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 11:16 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
There was a short news report on French tv about a week ago, that car snow tyres and chains were in such demand that the garages/supermarkets were unable to supply, and had been told by the suppliers that they had no idea when stocks may become available again.
I'll be driving past a large auto supplier later today, and call in to check to see if the situation is improving.
Ah, thanks for that. I gather they have the same problem in the UK at the moment. That does explain why the guys at both tyre centres were not willing to discuss ordering some in for me, although they were a bit short on explanations.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 11:41 am
Just Joined

typhoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem in France, ended up getting them in UK (2 for £95) and got them shipped over for 15 euros. Web site below

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...e=10&weiter=10
Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

It must depend on the area where you live because winter tyres are very common over in the east - I would even go to say that it is customary around here. By the way if you go to Germany in a car in this weather it is required by law to have winter tyres or you face a fine (95€ I think it is). If you have trouble finding them in the shops you can have a look online. They sell them to you and and then they are delivered to your nearest registered garage who will mount them for you.