Reload this Page >

French Television

French Television

Old Dec 12th 2010, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

may09041944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French Television

Hi Everyone

I need advice on should I take my television to France or should I get on of there's.
Sky in England have advised me taking a roaming ariel and a set top box from England
Please can anyone help?.

May
Old Dec 12th 2010, 2:01 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

If your TV is newer then there should be no issue bringing it to France, Secam is being phased out anyway in favour of DVB which is the new fangled Digital TV.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Dec 12th 2010 at 2:38 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 5:02 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French Television

Hi,
following on from my answer on the other thread, we don't pick up all that much in English on CanalSat. For example, news channels like BBC World News, CNN,... There are more German, Spanish and Italian channels than English-speaking ones! The cinema channels always show foreign films in V.O. with sub-titles, but a lot of the others are dubbed.
Maybe someone will come along with advice about Sky...
Old Dec 12th 2010, 5:09 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy a topset box here, If you want to bring your Sky Box, Don't discuss the matter with them, Get a dish fitted here and and plug your Sky Box in to it, Keep the account going in the UK.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

DEJW is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to learn French language and culture (important if you wish to integrate into French life) I suggest that you DO NOT view English TV. Keep to French TV, some of it is awful, but you will learn about France. The weather forecasts are good for learning French, the forecasters speak good French, slowly and there are all the pictograms to give hints.

DejW
Old Dec 13th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

I agree (except for those who just can't do without "Corrie" and the like!!)

The 19-channel TNT (includes "France Ô) is good enough for us and I also enjoy watching certain series in VO (Version Originale) on TF1 M6 NRJ12 etc. where the newer seasons of "Lie To Me", "The Experts", etc. are broadcast with language choice - i.e. you need a modern TV with full HD, TNT integrated and a language choice option (usually English or French, but for "Arte" German or French for those who understand it.

The other day I recorded a Harry Potter film in English from TF1 without problem for someone who hadn't seen it.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 11:57 am
Just Joined

richardinfrance is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found that, if you want to watch English TV in France, you will often find yourself confined to rather intellectual programming. Which is fine of course. But it can get a little boring...
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

may09041944 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

I know it is all going to change because I have sampled the way they work slow and slower so we will have to fit in with there life style.
I think we will have Sky just before we move with a roaming ariel, it sounds the best option, that will give us time to check out all the possiblities.

May