Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Will i be able to find a creative job in Provence?

Will i be able to find a creative job in Provence?

Old Mar 27th 2009, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

REDGIRL-123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will i be able to find a creative job in Provence?

Hello all ,
i am hoping to realise my dream of moving to the Avignon area this year and i would appreciate any advice you can give me with regards to supporting myself.
I am 31 years old , single, no mortgage, no kids, no pets. unfortunately i dont have any serious qualifications either , just a couple of btec's in photography .
I keep reading articles about how the french love to see paperwork and how its difficult to be self-employed and im getting worried. I was hoping that i would be able to rely on my creative skills to support me, but most of the expat info sites cater for academics not creative types.

Im pretty good at photography, photoshop and digital design, have completed a beauty and theatrical make up course, can cook, paint and am reiki attuned . AND im extremely good at making cocktails!
Will i be able to make it?
Is there a market for makeup artists or much call for holistic healers? Will i be able to arrange childrens portrait sessions without getting a visit from the gendarmes? Or would i have to register before doing ANYTHING!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will i be able to find a creative job in Provence?

There are a few of us creative types about. I can't make a full salary on photography and painting alone, but it helps. The paperwork isn't much fun, but I suppose it could be worse. I would try and focus on one or two areas of strength rather than become a jack of all trades, but it might be best to test the waters in the UK first, improve your French (if it's not already fluent) before throwing yourself into the deep end.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:34 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Concur with what Gav says! The Auto Entrepreneur system (supposedly) makes it easier for fledgling businesses to get up & running. I'm tempted by it myself as I've been offered a 'job', but am a tad wary just now.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys , is it easy to find bar/kitchen jobs or not ? or housekeeping work to see me through while i get myself organised ?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:36 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by REDGIRL-123
Thanks guys , is it easy to find bar/kitchen jobs or not ? or housekeeping work to see me through while i get myself organised ?
Theres work out there, but it's becoming more Competitive to find it and someone with 100% French skills will have the under hand.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Nibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by REDGIRL-123
Hello all ,
i am hoping to realise my dream of moving to the Avignon area this year and i would appreciate any advice you can give me with regards to supporting myself.
I am 31 years old , single, no mortgage, no kids, no pets. unfortunately i dont have any serious qualifications either , just a couple of btec's in photography .
I keep reading articles about how the french love to see paperwork and how its difficult to be self-employed and im getting worried. I was hoping that i would be able to rely on my creative skills to support me, but most of the expat info sites cater for academics not creative types.

Im pretty good at photography, photoshop and digital design, have completed a beauty and theatrical make up course, can cook, paint and am reiki attuned . AND im extremely good at making cocktails!
Will i be able to make it?
Is there a market for makeup artists or much call for holistic healers? Will i be able to arrange childrens portrait sessions without getting a visit from the gendarmes? Or would i have to register before doing ANYTHING!
who knows
I would try like the others said to get to at least a standard of french that makes you understood by others and you in turn can understand them.
after that try a bit harder to learn tech french for your chosen field.
It like a series of steps getting a job? i myself find learning new things extremly difficult(i really suffered here to start) did not come to france for lifestyle, managed to get a good job eventually but i think you must really want to do this?
Everything must change,even your expectations for living....
submerged myself in normal french life,saw a different view just plodding along now...
The interviews in french are hard and long,for french firms its long several were 45mins to a hour? two people different interview technique to britain serious concerns on why? i wanted a job here? and why would they bother to taking
me on?
Thats up to you and your ability, i really wish you luck
oh yeh.. this is for the others,munching on my apple last week nearly choked when workmate told me income tax is going to rise by 5%

Last edited by Nibbler; Mar 29th 2009 at 7:54 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Well yes i do want a change !
Old Apr 1st 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, there are very nice jobs going in Switzerland at the moment!
Nice healthy mountain air, plenty of excercise and friendly colleagues.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKIqGYRuvbk
You get good pay too - look at these two happy dustmen with their months salary!!
http://files.newsnetz.ch/story/2/4/1...topelement.jpg
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roger O
Actually, there are very nice jobs going in Switzerland at the moment!
Nice healthy mountain air, plenty of excercise and friendly colleagues.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKIqGYRuvbk
You get good pay too - look at these two happy dustmen with their months salary!!
http://files.newsnetz.ch/story/2/4/1...topelement.jpg
I'm sure we discussed this before - nice pay, but one hell of a cost for living expenses! Yesterday a French (Brazilian) friend who moved there now needs an operation and I believe the healthcare costs a small fortune too.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G-J-B
I'm sure we discussed this before - nice pay, but one hell of a cost for living expenses! Yesterday a French (Brazilian) friend who moved there now needs an operation and I believe the healthcare costs a small fortune too.
G-J-B, Did you look at the two links?
... er... today's date is...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Roger O
G-J-B, Did you look at the two links?
... er... today's date is...
D'oh, I didn't see the links, and yep you April Fooled me.