Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Who will make the same mistakes?

Who will make the same mistakes?

Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

3 dog night is on a distinguished road
Default Who will make the same mistakes?

Hi folks,
Well its rain here today and very dull "But" we have the tv and all thats being shown to us to enjoy, But i was watching the adds all flashing by "offering everything from quick loans to mouth watering foods and what to buy your loved ones"
The Question is how many people will fall into the old debt trap again this christmas because of the guilt factor?

How many people have the money to be spending like its going out of fashion?
And the kids!!!! should we tell them father christmas had an accident and was killed so he wont be coming after all

Joking apart this particular year has'nt been very good for so many people "what" with "ALL" prices going sky high including getting to work no matter if it's via train /car/ or even push bike and then once the wages are in the prices of food, and the means to cook it and heat the house has as always gone daft to say the least,

And now the added bonus is christmas! and the cost this involves.

I was talking to an english couple at the supermarket this morning and they told me they dont send christmas cards anymore because of the postage cost,

Whats your view on this one should we have a re-think about this time of the year ? Or just carryon beating ourselves up over keeping up with the jones (or credit card)
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:43 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who will make the same mistakes?

Originally Posted by 3 dog night
Hi folks,
Well its rain here today and very dull "But" we have the tv and all thats being shown to us to enjoy, But i was watching the adds all flashing by "offering everything from quick loans to mouth watering foods and what to buy your loved ones"
The Question is how many people will fall into the old debt trap again this christmas because of the guilt factor?

How many people have the money to be spending like its going out of fashion?
And the kids!!!! should we tell them father christmas had an accident and was killed so he wont be coming after all

Joking apart this particular year has'nt been very good for so many people "what" with "ALL" prices going sky high including getting to work no matter if it's via train /car/ or even push bike and then once the wages are in the prices of food, and the means to cook it and heat the house has as always gone daft to say the least,

And now the added bonus is christmas! and the cost this involves.

I was talking to an english couple at the supermarket this morning and they told me they dont send christmas cards anymore because of the postage cost,

Whats your view on this one should we have a re-think about this time of the year ? Or just carryon beating ourselves up over keeping up with the jones (or credit card)
You are being a busy boy . Just been mailing an old working chum in UK ref Crimble and plans for a night out with other old chums. He asked what it was like in France. I said that it was getting more like USA and UK - and all for a day, not even a Boxing Day.
As to costs, we made a pact with family some years back. Adults limited to £5 or € equiv. for a pressie. Children exempt, but we are using vide grenier to find some interesting toys, even some clothes.
It's tougher than you think trying to find something for little money. And, don't use credit cards these days; know that's a tad risky on-line, but caution is the rule.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Yes cjm,
Its very true cost is getting out of hand, But this part of france is very 30 yrs ago time thing, ie i was seeing those father christmas images hanging from the chimney pots in april, infact they're still there today, talk about using what you've got!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas is just another day as far as I'm concerned. I'll probably even work on Christmas day just so I can get out of going to the inlaws for another piss poor do that will surely end up with overtired kids and over boozed adults screaming at each other. I do have kids but I've already warned them that this year certainly won't be "a christmas to remember". I'm not skint or anything, but I'm completely fed up of the whole commercial thing and due to the Laïcité in schools in this country the kids don't even know what Christmas really is - for them its just a time for opening presents

Nope this year I'm quite the Ebeneezer Scrooge, and that makes me feel all the better knowing that money won't be wasted on crap food, toys nobody plays with and other festive things we can do without.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi le plumber,
I do agree ref all you've said, gone are the days when todays kids thought of the effort mums & dads put into getting their gifts, And its shows on the kids in later life.

Anyone who knows me and my wife know we are very much into animals, I much prefer animals rather than a lot of humans we've met,

my christmas morn is taken up by the 4 dogs we have and their special breakfast and filling all the bird feeders in and around our garden, and by then we're ready for a long early morn walk through the woods and down to the stream and back again, approx 4 miles,
For some reason christmas morning seems a bit special, there's a feel in the air and to me no matter what day christmas falls on it still feels very sunday-ish,

But having said this no matter what time of the year you loose a loved one it's christmas day you seem to think of them more than anyother day in the year.

It's a good thing to think its later than we all think and if you have or know of anyone living alone or are strugling to bring a family up alone!
to drop them something for them, just to say you know they're trying too, Can make their day.

The staff in a lot of the animal rescue centre's work for free or little pay, just a box of sweets for them to share on christmas day makes a difference to their day as does a bag of dog biscuits to help with the dogs feeding.
Its not about recieving but giving.

Just ask yourself this "what have you done today to make yourself feel good?"
Old Dec 14th 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 3 dog night
Hi le plumber,
I do agree ref all you've said, gone are the days when todays kids thought of the effort mums & dads put into getting their gifts, And its shows on the kids in later life.

Anyone who knows me and my wife know we are very much into animals, I much prefer animals rather than a lot of humans we've met,

my christmas morn is taken up by the 4 dogs we have and their special breakfast and filling all the bird feeders in and around our garden, and by then we're ready for a long early morn walk through the woods and down to the stream and back again, approx 4 miles,
For some reason christmas morning seems a bit special, there's a feel in the air and to me no matter what day christmas falls on it still feels very sunday-ish,

But having said this no matter what time of the year you loose a loved one it's christmas day you seem to think of them more than anyother day in the year.

It's a good thing to think its later than we all think and if you have or know of anyone living alone or are strugling to bring a family up alone!
to drop them something for them, just to say you know they're trying too, Can make their day.

The staff in a lot of the animal rescue centre's work for free or little pay, just a box of sweets for them to share on christmas day makes a difference to their day as does a bag of dog biscuits to help with the dogs feeding.
Its not about recieving but giving.

Just ask yourself this "what have you done today to make yourself feel good?"

Well said, agree 100%. Hope you have a lovely Christmas.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks snoopycat (Love the name)
Many thanks for your thought on this one, and a merry christmas and a healthy new year 2013 "we're does the time go"

Regards 3 dog night and 8 paws.