Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

What's the best way of getting British Food?

What's the best way of getting British Food?

Old Nov 3rd 2012, 12:41 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cmread
The UK may have more Michelin starred restos, yes, but it has a very long tail of indifferent to bad ones, which I don't find in France.

Take restos in tourist areas, for instance. My husband and I ate at a place within a stone's throw of la tour Eiffel and the food was great: well-marbled steaks, excellent frites, the works. The service was very good, too. We all know that in the UK, the place would have been horrible. It would have been making its money off of desperate or foolish tourists and it wouldn't care one little bit that it was cheating them blind. I remember well the fiasco at the so-called resto at the British Museum: horrible, nearly cold 'fusion' food serviced by people who clearly didn't know what service was. I've never had that happen here in France.

Take brasseries such Café Leffe: they don't cost as much as a high-end resto, but they are very good. We've taken a foodie friend there and he was very much impressed. He said himself that at that level, the food and service would have been mediocre at best in the UK. As well, he pointed out that in the UK, the place would have been blaring with music; there aren't so many places these days there to just have a quiet cup of coffee.

It's not that there are no good restos in the UK because there are and I have been to them. There is, however, too much indifferent food and service about, and sometimes it doesn't matter how much you pay, as in the case of the British Museum resto, you end up feeling cheated.

I love the food of France. The restos are excellent and even the mass-produced food is good. I lived in the States at one time and I grew to like brownies there. Yes, you can get them in the UK, but they never were right. Here, I can pick up a mass-produced brownie that beats the socks off of the ones in the US. The same goes for doughnuts.

There are things the UK does well, such as some biscuits (Custard Creams, for example), and Wensleydale cheese, but there is just too much indifferent stuff around to suit my tastes.

By the way, I would vote for a cheese club as well, if I could get some Wensleydale.
There are resto's that abuse tourists throuought the world, go to just about any landmark and within 400 mtrs will be at least one crap resto. We all perceive quality and good food in different ways.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Nov 3rd 2012 at 5:31 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the best way of getting British Food?

I understand the need for a few old favourites from UK, and refuse to pay the crazy prices in the larger supermarkets "Anglais" section, or the English shops that are to be found in the Brit ghettos. I usually wait until someone is coming over for a visit from UK or someone here who is going back to inspect newly arrived grandkids. The one thing I never ask for is UK sausages. I much prefer the French sausages containing real meat than the UK variety that resemble a condom full of fat and grisle.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Our local Leclerc has a foreign section where I don't really mind paying extra for the few things I really still miss after many years - Marmite and Digestives (!) I know the lady in charge and she often asks me what should be ordered - I told her about suet for mincemeat and Christmas puds and she duly got some.

On the other hand she now loves Digestives and marmalade and has encouraged other locals to try them. Ambrosia rice and Fray Bentos pies completely baffle her - me too!

If you really crave things like bacon and Brit sausages then make them - loads of sites tell you how. I couldn't get cottage cheese - so I learned how to make it.

I have just had a few days in London - first time for ages and I couldn't believe how expensive food and drink was and how dire some offerings were - especially Tate Britain and the "local" in Kew and after all that you have to leave a tip or pay a service charge even when there hasn't been any (service).

On the other hand a meal at Le Gavroche, admittedly a French chef, was amazing and possibly a tad more inovative than many restaurants here. You pays your money I guess.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 5:46 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by White Trash
I understand the need for a few old favourites from UK, and refuse to pay the crazy prices in the larger supermarkets "Anglais" section, or the English shops that are to be found in the Brit ghettos. I usually wait until someone is coming over for a visit from UK or someone here who is going back to inspect newly arrived grandkids. The one thing I never ask for is UK sausages. I much prefer the French sausages containing real meat than the UK variety that resemble a condom full of fat and grisle.
It's fat that makes a sausage nice Try making them without it they don't actually taste that nice.

The difference between English and French sausages is a few herbs and the majority of English ones are emulsified meat content as opposed to minced. If you buy something like a blue band Tesco sausage well thats a heart attack in a packet and yes as mentioned it's all the crap scrapped off the floor.

It's horses for courses me I like all of them......
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 8:38 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
It's fat that makes a sausage nice Try making them without it they don't actually taste that nice.

The difference between English and French sausages is a few herbs and the majority of English ones are emulsified meat content as opposed to minced. If you buy something like a blue band Tesco sausage well thats a heart attack in a packet and yes as mentioned it's all the crap scrapped off the floor.

It's horses for courses me I like all of them......
Respect chef.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Richard_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: What's the best way of getting British Food?

I understand the need for a few old favourites from UK, and refuse to pay the crazy prices in the larger supermarkets "Anglais" section, or the English shops that are to be found in the Brit ghettos.
Looks like your are not after real British food anyway, you just fancy an idea, well I would like to fly to the Moon, it is also a nice idea.

Considering transportation costs and the fact we, the UK, are not somewhere in a cheap overly exploited third class county, how on Earth are you expecting the best of British to be delivered to your door for scraps? The real food is dear even in the UK herself.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 3:36 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard_UK
Looks like your are not after real British food anyway, you just fancy an idea, well I would like to fly to the Moon, it is also a nice idea.

Considering transportation costs and the fact we, the UK, are not somewhere in a cheap overly exploited third class county, how on Earth are you expecting the best of British to be delivered to your door for scraps? The real food is dear even in the UK herself.
Richard, I have told you elsewhere the majority of people living as expats actually enjoy buying from the local butcher, baker, candlestick maker. They enjoy the food they can get - no, its not English, but then what is according to the source/origen labels I was seeing in Sainsburys, Tesco's etc before leaving the UK. It is locally reared, locally butchered, locally sold and locally eaten.
Yours is a niche market, you will have to spend money on advertising (I am sure BE wouldn't mind taking some instructions from you for banner adverts).

Only the other day when buying my Spanish bacon I let slip I wanted it with my eggs for breakfast, the poor girl seemed horrified - until a Spanish lady on my side of the counter agreed with me and asked for some as well, which got the whole shop discussing their breakfast and the uses for bacon.

Oh, and at less than €4.00 per kilo much cheaper than the UK supermarkets.

hows the drinking going ?

`

Last edited by Domino; Nov 15th 2012 at 3:38 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Richard_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Domino
Richard, I have told you elsewhere the majority of people living as expats actually enjoy buying from the local butcher, baker, candlestick maker. They enjoy the food they can get - no, its not English, but then what is according to the source/origen labels I was seeing in Sainsburys, Tesco's etc before leaving the UK. It is locally reared, locally butchered, locally sold and locally eaten.
Yours is a niche market, you will have to spend money on advertising (I am sure BE wouldn't mind taking some instructions from you for banner adverts).

Only the other day when buying my Spanish bacon I let slip I wanted it with my eggs for breakfast, the poor girl seemed horrified - until a Spanish lady on my side of the counter agreed with me and asked for some as well, which got the whole shop discussing their breakfast and the uses for bacon.

Oh, and at less than €4.00 per kilo much cheaper than the UK supermarkets.

hows the drinking going ?

`
1. Drinking is fine (crossing my fingers ) I was so embarrassed... after voicing radical opinions, I was kinda right but it was the wrong way to deliver it, shame to me

2. Forum rules state I am allowed to advertise my business in my signature, why say it if you are not going to follow it, just don't say it. And I get victimised for it by most administrators when I did nothing wrong. Of course, my natural area of interest is British food and I am a qualified person to have my opinions in this area, so I do contribute. I am just honestly and sincerely interested in topics about food, isn't it obvious and most logical, my life is about food.

3. Advertising on BE? Most definitely yes, so far we did not have a single penny of profit this year, but BE is most likely the most suitable place for it. Looks like not in Spain though.

Last edited by Richard_UK; Nov 15th 2012 at 4:16 pm. Reason: a bit of better grammar
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I am one of those who miss a few things but generally find an equivalent (apart from Marmite). And many of them are cheaper than the original in the UK
Cheese - I have always loved cheddar, but there really are some superb hard cheeses. Comte - the older the better. Absolutely superb. (But not cheaper).
Baked beans - Super U's beans are great - if necessary add a bit of Tomato ketchup.
Bacon - well LeClerc's Poitrine Fume is far superior to most English streaky, only 6 Euros a kilo and no added water!. (Not as good I grant you as the bacon I used to buy in Shrewsbury market from Melvin, but he did buy the River Cottage brand). If I am stuck there is the English butcher in the Dordogne who posts real back bacon at about 12 E a kilo.
Sausages. Well personally I like French chipos, and to my eternal shame also like the saucisses de strasbourg, but again the dordogne sausage chap makes quite a decent fist if I am homesick.
I do miss granary bread, but 'er indoors makes a very tasty multi cereale with.

They are only passing pangs anyway. Generally I find the food here far superior. We buy a VERY expensive chicken most weeks from the local market. Not as much breast as we were used to in the UK, and legs like a race horse. But the taste... absolutely incomparable and the meat is so good quality it does us three or four meals (and then we make stock or soup).

Cereals - no idea. Why is everything covered in chocolate?
Porridge. No idea. We get from the UK, but there must be porage (for an alternative spelling). Help welcomed!

But properly hung beef. Now you are talking!
Old Nov 15th 2012, 8:28 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Cereals - no idea. Why is everything covered in chocolate?
Porridge. No idea. We get from the UK, but there must be porage (for an alternative spelling). Help welcomed!
Porridge is "flocons d'avoine" in French, AKA Quaker Oats! We've got plenty of non-chocolate-covered cereals in our Supermarket!
Old Nov 16th 2012, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

This may only be interesting for people living near us but we have Angus cattle and sell beef direct. We insist the meat is hung for 21 days - this horrified the society who do the slaughter/butchery at first. Unfortunately for us, whilst the Paris chefs have cottoned on to the superiority of Angus beef, we can't find a buyer who will pay the same price as French Charolais, let alone the premium Angus attracts in the UK. The French are very loyal to their own!
However, I don't want any other beef so as long as my freezer is full of Angus, I don't care!
Old Nov 17th 2012, 7:54 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard_UK
1. Drinking is fine (crossing my fingers ) I was so embarrassed... after voicing radical opinions, I was kinda right but it was the wrong way to deliver it, shame to me

2. Forum rules state I am allowed to advertise my business in my signature, why say it if you are not going to follow it, just don't say it. And I get victimised for it by most administrators when I did nothing wrong. Of course, my natural area of interest is British food and I am a qualified person to have my opinions in this area, so I do contribute. I am just honestly and sincerely interested in topics about food, isn't it obvious and most logical, my life is about food.

3. Advertising on BE? Most definitely yes, so far we did not have a single penny of profit this year, but BE is most likely the most suitable place for it. Looks like not in Spain though.

Hi Richard,
well you are getting "free" advertising in your signature and as you know I have visited your site.
although you are in a niche market with advertising in the right places you will probably find you can get customers from all sorts of weird places.
like at home, there are a number of people who buy online, decades ago i had an aunt who was housebound and used to buy really interesting presents for neices and nephews via mail order from the ads in women's magazines.
the only way to sort that one out is to try some in the unlikeliest of places, but then I may have to charge you for my advice, which will mean less profit next year.

Even in a (relatively) small village here I can buy some UK products, although €0.95 is a bit much for a tin of Heinz baked beans. Chocolate, coffee etc from UK brands, but then you see they are actually made in the middle of Europe somewhere.
There is more of it on the coast but I balk at 90-100km drive just for the odd thing that is really a luxury when all my needs are covered locally.

So off to have a late breakfast of uncured pancetta bacon, local eggs and local mushrooms, washed down with local coffee, mopped up with local bread.
But I will keep an eye out for you on other ventures doing the similar to you.
rgds

`
Old Nov 17th 2012, 4:13 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

You made me laugh WT, especially the last phrase. Grisle used to be a family word for an over-tired child who wanted attention, rather than the gristle that adds a bit of firmness !
Old Nov 18th 2012, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute

Who needs a spellcheck when CJM's about?
Old Nov 18th 2012, 11:25 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Who needs a spellcheck when CJM's about?
Apology from a pedant who often seplls words wrongly and who's grammer is vowel!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.