Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

What are these cleaning products called in French and where might I get hold of them?

What are these cleaning products called in French and where might I get hold of them?

Old Apr 7th 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are these cleaning products called in French and where might I get hold of them?

Time for my boring question of the month, but don't worry this time it's not La Poste.

Our modest apartment had 3 marble fire places, which is total overkill - one was removed a couple of years ago because it wasn't in the best of conditions, but the other two are in great condition. My partner very occasionally cleans them down with vinegar which I've recently found out is a big no, no with marble, so apparently what I need is:

Acetone, hydrogen peroxide or clear ammonia, marble polish and a shammy cloth.

I'm assuming a lot of these chemical products probably go by the same or similar names in French? As far as I was concerned acetone is for removing nail polish and hydrogene peroxide for bleaching hair, but I'm told it's good for cleaning marble surfaces too without damaging them.

Does anyone know what names the above go under in French and do you think you could buy them from a regular hardware store?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are these cleaning products called in French and where might I get hold of t

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Time for my boring question of the month, but don't worry this time it's not La Poste.

Our modest apartment had 3 marble fire places, which is total overkill - one was removed a couple of years ago because it wasn't in the best of conditions, but the other two are in great condition. My partner very occasionally cleans them down with vinegar which I've recently found out is a big no, no with marble, so apparently what I need is:

I'm assuming a lot of these chemical products probably go by the same or similar names in French? As far as I was concerned acetone is for removing nail polish and hydrogene peroxide for bleaching hair, but I'm told it's good for cleaning marble surfaces too without damaging them.

Does anyone know what names the above go under in French and do you think you could buy them from a regular hardware store?
Hi Gav,

Your right, they are pretty much the same in French as they are in English. I would advise you use Acétone, with a chamois, both of which you can fin in the supermarkets. The acétone you'll find conditioned in litre bottles and it should only set you back a few euros. Ammonia is ammoniaque, but you only need a few drops I would imagine!! Apparently talcum power and a soft cloth is good for buffing up marble.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are these cleaning products called in French and where might I get hold of t

Originally Posted by le plumber
Hi Gav,

Your right, they are pretty much the same in French as they are in English. I would advise you use Acétone, with a chamois, both of which you can fin in the supermarkets. The acétone you'll find conditioned in litre bottles and it should only set you back a few euros. Ammonia is ammoniaque, but you only need a few drops I would imagine!! Apparently talcum power and a soft cloth is good for buffing up marble.
Great stuff, thanks Andrew. Next time I'm in Carrefour I'll keep my eyes peeled. Great avatar incidentally.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:21 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G-J-B

If you can find a builders Yard you can get them there and brico depots, I will send you some fertilizer those products combined with the latter and petrol will get the fireplaces going with a bang (I must stress that this is a Joke(And I take no responsibility for a loss of fingers and or other bits))

Use chemicals carefully and in a Well ventilated place. When using Acetone use approved Gloves as it can melt some plastics.

Personally I would order something like this HERE and hope the vinegar has not to much damage.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Apr 7th 2009 at 3:29 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
If you can find a builders Yard you can get them there and brico depots, I will send you some fertilizer those products combined with the latter and petrol will get the fireplaces going with a bang (I must stress that this is a Joke(And I take no responsibility for a loss of fingers and or other bits))

Use chemicals carefully and in a Well ventilated place. When using Acetone use approved Gloves as it can melt some plastics.

Personally I would order something like this HERE and hope the vinegar has not to much damage.
Too late. You owe me for 3 fingers and an ear!

Fortunately the vinegar doesn't seem to have stained it.
The website you sent looks great although unfortunately they don't have any offices in France and it doesn't look like you can buy online. I'm sure there will be places in Paris that do the specific marble polish as I'd imagine a lot of the Parisian apartments have marble fireplaces. I'll have a gander at the weekend.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all

Hydrogen peroxide = Eau oxygénée (for sale in chemists, either 20 or 30 volumes)
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:28 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karunia
Hydrogen peroxide = Eau oxygénée (for sale in chemists, either 20 or 30 volumes)
Hello you
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all

Hello you too Cleri - just keeping a lazy eye on things, you understand.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karunia
Merci!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

De rien!