Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

what possessions to bring and what not when moving to France

what possessions to bring and what not when moving to France

Old Nov 23rd 2019, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what possessions to bring and what not when moving to France

Originally Posted by KJMW
An accountant!! God forbid! A retired London Fireman.
I recall we've had ex policemen, and a plumber on this forum, but never an ex fireman. Welcome!
I note you received just a slight sprinkling from the Mods for advertising, but that's now put out.
Be careful though on the 'Take it Outside' forum, as there one can receive a good hosing-down. Some there thrive on confrontation. It's not a forum I've ever contributed on, much prefering the 'Lounge'.
If you have a lot of spare time on your hands, and enjoy a (very)bitter/sweet expat tale, check out the 'Me and my family' thread. Here. A sad tale to say the least, but a cracking 4*** star read!
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 11:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Be careful though on the 'Take it Outside' forum, as there one can receive a good hosing-down. Some there thrive on confrontation.
Don't worry about our new poster, he/she has jumped right into TIO and isn't shy of indulging in a little confrontation themselves
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 11:27 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I recall we've had ex policemen, and a plumber on this forum, but never an ex fireman. Welcome!
I note you received just a slight sprinkling from the Mods for advertising, but that's now put out.
Be careful though on the 'Take it Outside' forum, as there one can receive a good hosing-down. Some there thrive on confrontation. It's not a forum I've ever contributed on, much prefering the 'Lounge'.
If you have a lot of spare time on your hands, and enjoy a (very)bitter/sweet expat tale, check out the 'Me and my family' thread. Here. A sad tale to say the least, but a cracking 4*** star read!
Thank you, I shall have a look. As for the other forum: Yes lots of self righteous people who like to rule the roost! Quite interesting actually as it does take all sorts, objectivity is a premium quantity on the site.

Thanks agin

Last edited by Rosemary; Nov 23rd 2019 at 12:52 pm. Reason: Comments about Moderators need to be done by PM as you did.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 11:32 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzer70
Good morning all
We keep changing our minds and dithering on what would be best but slowly things are starting to happen....
Please can we solicit advice on what we should bring with when we move to France next year.....
Obviously there will be boxes of personal things that will never be ditched but what about furniture, televisions (will they work in France?) fridges, freezers, petrol lawnmower, stereo systems, dvd players, kitchen equipment etc etc etc
Our "things" are not particularly new or high quality so it wouldn't be devastating should we start from scratch but perhaps there are things we really should bring with.
We have found a furnished place to rent for a year and this place comes with storage for all our stuff. Obviously we need to consider the fact that we'd be moving all our chattels more than once if we did bring them with.
Apologies if this isn't particularly clear but any advice greatly appreciated on what we should/must and what we needed bother bring with us.
as even thanks very much!
Further to the 'change all your electrical plugs' before coming out. We also went around the house and thought it would be a great time to get rid of stuff we would never use again. For example we do have quite and extensive library but once we got down to it we realised we had hundreds of books that were never going to be read again. Destroying books isn't an option of course and they went to charity but I do recommend you take a very firm attitude to things that will never be used . It's quite amazing how much excess baggage we all have!!
Old Nov 26th 2019, 3:05 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

We had everything shipped to France. The whole house was emptied in the UK. With 2 small kids and pregnant with #3 and only a few weeks to get move countries I didn't have the time or energy to sort out stuff....
I was really glad to have brought all the books in the pre-amazon days.
Electrical stuff - at first I had a few UK multiplug thingys that were plugged into the french socket with an adaptor and I slowly changed the plugs on electrical appliances to french ones.
Bedlinen - I still have the wonderful hungarian goose down duvet that is a British double size and I've been buying new covers for it from MandS for the last 17 years....
After moving a few times now, I would say bring what you know you can use since it will make you feel at home and help put off the cost of replacing everything all at once. Moving countries is surprisingly expensive so save where you can.