Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Wedding questions

Wedding questions

Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wedding questions

Hi there

We did our little marrriage ceremony about three weeks ago, 10 o'clock on a Monday morning, in the Mairie in our tiny village. There was the mayor, his secretary, our two neighbours as witnesses, and ourselves. The ceremony took less than 10 minutes, but was conducted in a serious manner, with the mayor wearing his official sash, and a velvet cloth on the table, and the french flag in evidence. It is not at all complicated, and one has only to say 'oui' at the appropriate moment. We had asked the secretary the week before to read the text of the ceremony so that we wouldn't be taken by surprise. All the details and paperwork have been collected and checked in advance, as already described. In the little booklet, there is a place to say whether you want to exchange rings or not - we did not, and as I understand it, this is not uncommon as many people have another ceremony afterwards where they may exchange rings if they wish. We took little presents for our witnesses and the mayor and secretary, to say thanks for their support, and even though we had been really clear that we didn't want any fuss, our witnesses did come to our house earlier in the morning with a best wishes card and a bouquet of flowers! Really kind of them. After the signatures, we were given our 'Livret de Famille' and a signed copy of the Acte de Marriage which we needed for the Notaire and Avocat in relation to the adoption of my two children by my partner. This has also gone very smoothly, with everyone being really helpful and supportive, but as usual a massive amount of paperwork to pay attention to!

Can't think of anything else to tell you, but please ask again if I have missed anything out.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cupoftea
Hi there

We did our little marrriage ceremony about three weeks ago, 10 o'clock on a Monday morning, in the Mairie in our tiny village. There was the mayor, his secretary, our two neighbours as witnesses, and ourselves. The ceremony took less than 10 minutes, but was conducted in a serious manner, with the mayor wearing his official sash, and a velvet cloth on the table, and the french flag in evidence. It is not at all complicated, and one has only to say 'oui' at the appropriate moment. We had asked the secretary the week before to read the text of the ceremony so that we wouldn't be taken by surprise. All the details and paperwork have been collected and checked in advance, as already described. In the little booklet, there is a place to say whether you want to exchange rings or not - we did not, and as I understand it, this is not uncommon as many people have another ceremony afterwards where they may exchange rings if they wish. We took little presents for our witnesses and the mayor and secretary, to say thanks for their support, and even though we had been really clear that we didn't want any fuss, our witnesses did come to our house earlier in the morning with a best wishes card and a bouquet of flowers! Really kind of them. After the signatures, we were given our 'Livret de Famille' and a signed copy of the Acte de Marriage which we needed for the Notaire and Avocat in relation to the adoption of my two children by my partner. This has also gone very smoothly, with everyone being really helpful and supportive, but as usual a massive amount of paperwork to pay attention to!

Can't think of anything else to tell you, but please ask again if I have missed anything out.
Congratulations -it sounds as if you had a lovely day -now where are the photo's
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

You won't be surprised to know that there aren't any! Although we did go mad and take a couple after the signing of the adoption papers last Friday. In fact, I seem to have failed to tell anyone about getting married - excepting you lot of course - even our family and friends don't know. But after more than 16 years of resistance, I doubt they would believe us anyway.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:42 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted to add my congratulations to cupoftea
Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

andyandali is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Wedding questions

Thanks alot greatly appreciated. Unfortunenatly ours wont be so easy we have to tell family at least as, we would never be forgiven.
Congulations hope every keeps going well, the paperwork will never stop in France.
Take Care
Originally Posted by cupoftea
Hi there

Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Although it's not quite the same thing, I'm in the process of sorting out a PACS, and that's trouble enough. I've spent the last two days calling the British embassy, but whoever is responsible for the 'marriage section' has been away (they should have been in yesterday). I've been told to call again after 2:30pm. If you need to reach them, the details are here:
http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/ser...=1059132517016

I'm also getting my birth certificate translated today (I had to order a new and 'long' version of it). The official translator is charging 31 euros. I thought it might cost more. If it sounds reasonable and you need it doing, let me know, and I'll give you the email address.
Can you please let me know the contact details of the authorised translater you use, as i have the joy of starting the papertrail to get married.
We did think about PACS but the in a difference in the levels of inheritance tax. The limit for PACS IS 56,000 Euros and married couple the level is 76,000 so we thought this would be better in the long run. I would be very grzteful for those details.
Many Thanks.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:12 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, but on a more serious note is this a sign of the times, folk getting married for tax reasons?

Maybe not, as I think I did that the first time, won't terrify you by how THAT turned out, but maybe it's time there was insurance against marriage break-ups - you seem to be able to get it for everything else these days.

Sorry chaps/chapesses - not the romantic type you see - prefer De Walt chainsaw for wedding present rather than some poxy useless ring or other bling-like adornment ....................

Won't it all change again if you have kids?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:25 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Congratulations, but on a more serious note is this a sign of the times, folk getting married for tax reasons?

Maybe not, as I think I did that the first time, won't terrify you by how THAT turned out, but maybe it's time there was insurance against marriage break-ups - you seem to be able to get it for everything else these days.

Sorry chaps/chapesses - not the romantic type you see - prefer De Walt chainsaw for wedding present rather than some poxy useless ring or other bling-like adornment ....................

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:27 am
Just Joined

We dont on planning having any kids. Some might class this as selfish but we enjoy doing what we want when we want with not have any additional responsibilites.
Originally Posted by Andrea50