Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

This is a very quiet forum ???

This is a very quiet forum ???

Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is a very quiet forum ???

You know life in France is hard these days and there are less and less Brits coming to France.

France's other migrant problem - penniless and hungry BRITS | Mail Online
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyposer
You know life in France is hard these days and there are less and less Brits coming to France.

France's other migrant problem - penniless and hungry BRITS | Mail Online
a) that link has already been posted and

b) fewer and fewer, not less and less.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

aboris is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank God someone knows the correct use of fewer and less.

The other thing that really gets my goat is when people use amount when they should be using number.

Even the BBC is increasingly getting these things wrong.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aboris

The other thing that really gets my goat is when people use amount when they should be using number.

Even the BBC is increasingly getting these things wrong.
Don't watch match of the day then, a favourite of Alan Shearer

He should of went....

50% error
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

aboris is an unknown quantity at this point

The BBC has a lot to answer for..........
Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aboris
To be fair, and I may be wrong, but I believe Babyposer is French?
Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:50 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
To be fair, and I may be wrong, but I believe Babyposer is French?
Judging by the first post your correct....
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Thanks !

Actually my mother is french and my father is english but I grew up in France and my father was talking to me in french when I was a kid (!) so I had to learn english with the rest of my family while I was on holiday in England so..

I went to school in France my whole life and I often make mistakes so please let me know if some of my sentences are incorrect !
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:30 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

French and English start with caps otherwise your written English is better than most (...CS) on this forum
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I was going to put a cap and then was not sure because in this case 'french' and 'english' are adjectives.

Ah I just found a topic about this and actually 'English' is always with a cap.

Ok, good to know, cheers !
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by babyposer
Thanks !

my father was talking to me in french when I was a kid (!) ... so please let me know if some of my sentences are incorrect !
Well, since you ask...
The compulsory capital letter for languages, nationality and the adjectives that go with them has already been pointed out by IVV.
It would be preferable to write "my father used to talk to me in French"... "was talking to me" is a direct translation of the French imperfect, and in English would require some sort of interruption: "My father was talking to me when I was bitten by a scorpion''.
'used to'+verb is what the French call 'une forme fréquentative du passé' and translates the French imperfect (quand j'étais petite mon père me parlait en français) when describing something that happened more or less regularly or frequently in the past, but which today no longer happens. In this sentence you are no longer a kid and the progressive form is wrong.
PB
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if they are both penniless and hungry, they could well be less and less as well as fewer and fewer?

Back to topic, I read the forum every day. I personally very much appreciate the civility and courtesy of comments. Compared to other forums it is a breath of fresh air. I am in awe of other members knowledge and helpfulness. We first moved to Spain, before coming to France so I started on the Spanish forum, but on both fora (okay Novo?) I have received so much helpful advice. I try to throw my twopennyworth in when I can, but am very conscious that it is pretty small beer compared to the pearls from others.
So please stick with it guys, I am sure the friendly atmosphere is just as appreciated by newbies as it was by me
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:20 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
French and English start with caps otherwise your written English is better than most (...CS) on this forum
Funny enough there was a time when my written skills were better, but I have given up worrying about it.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Sep 17th 2014 at 1:27 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

<pet bugbear>sat/seated/sitting</pet bugbear>.

S
Old Sep 17th 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

My pet hate is every time I hear (especially on the BBC)
"I would of loved to have..."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.