Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Urgent Chambery to Geneva Vignette??

Urgent Chambery to Geneva Vignette??

Old Mar 14th 2014, 12:07 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Urgent Chambery to Geneva Vignette??

Urgent question svp. If I travel between Chambery and Geneva airport do I need a vignette once through customs just for the short drive to the airport? It is not far, but not sure if it is swiss peage or not. Also, if I do need one, I know customs on arrival have them, but can I buy them from service stations en route or not?
Old Mar 14th 2014, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Chambery to Geneva Vignette??

I believe you need a vignette to travel on any motorway in Switzerland.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 12:44 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes i think so too.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 7:56 pm
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can travel to the airport via Geneva city centre which means you will bypass the main border control area. If you can't be bothered and just want to get there asap, go via the motorway and if you get stopped at the 'douane' you can just pay the €40.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Yes you do need a vignette if you drive to Geneva airport from France along the motorway. Everything has been thought out with typical Swiss efficiency; when you cross the border, there is a huge customs post with Swiss policemen and women directing cars automatically towards the row of booths where you fork out your however many Swiss francs; and don't worry, no penalties are applied. (Credit cards willingly accepted, plus, no doubt, gold ingots or cash in brown envelopes). Whether or not there is another road in I do not know, but the vignette only applies to the motorways.