Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Changing utility supplyer

Changing utility supplyer

Old Mar 15th 2014, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing utility supplyer

Has anyone done this recently? If so what has the experience been like?

We have been doing some research and, on the face of it we could save €200 pa on our electricity bill if we switched from EDF. I am, however sure that there will be snags, or am I being a glass half-empty person?
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:56 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing utility supplyer

I changed to Direct Energie about 3 years ago. It was a bad experience. They were cheaper but they calculated a prelevement which meant I was paying way too much in advance of my actual consumption. They wouldn't change the amount so I went back to EDF.

There are plenty of forums (in French) on the subject and it's always worth looking at the forum on www.lesarnaques.com. I wish I had at the time as this overestimation of consumption is a trick often used to finance lower tariffs.

Hope this helps. IVV
Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:54 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I changed to Direct Energie about 3 years ago. It was a bad experience. They were cheaper but they calculated a prelevement which meant I was paying way too much in advance of my actual consumption. They wouldn't change the amount so I went back to EDF.

There are plenty of forums (in French) on the subject and it's always worth looking at the forum on www.lesarnaques.com. I wish I had at the time as this overestimation of consumption is a trick often used to finance lower tariffs.

Hope this helps. IVV
It was really hard for us the swap from 3Phase to mono phase in the end we had a meter change which changed it from a 800 euro charge to 300. But getting them to do it was a nightmare because it had to be coordinated with the electrician that had just rewired the house. Plus they had a silly phone interview to check your house was suitable for the change which we are convinced was conducted by French speaking Indians.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Just as in UK it's all a bit of con and probably not worth the aggravation.

Also once you start down that road better reckon on changing suppliers on a regular basis.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Just as in UK it's all a bit of con and probably not worth the aggravation.

Also once you start down that road better reckon on changing suppliers on a regular basis.
Very true.