Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Unemployment benefits in France

Unemployment benefits in France

Old Oct 12th 2019, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Neil42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unemployment benefits in France

Hi there! I'm 63, working in France since 2008.
Currently still working.
As you know, English retirement pension can be claimed only when 66.
If I get redundant, will I get the benefit of French unemployment benefits till I get my full pension?
Anyone in the same situation on this forum ?
Old Oct 12th 2019, 7:51 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment benefits in France

Originally Posted by Neil42
Currently still working.
If I get redundant, will I get the benefit of French unemployment benefits till I get my full pension?
No if you have made the relevant contributions here you would receive the benefit for a maximum of two years and they keep you busy.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 3:09 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil42
Currently still working.
If you're made redundant after you've worked the statutory number of Trimestres in the UK and in France, you might be eligible for your pro rata French Pension.
As said, depending on your contributions you'd get chômage for a limited time, during which you have to clock in regularly at the Pôle-Emploi and justify that you're looking for work. I believe that the benefits stop if you refuse a number of job offers....
HTH
Old Oct 18th 2019, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Is an English pension different to a British one?
Old Oct 19th 2019, 7:05 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Yes, you get them separately from all of the various Pension Funds that you've contributed to over the years.
The French and UK State Pensions are paid pro rata when you reach Pension age, but in France you must have worked the statutory number of trimestres (which has probably changed since my time) before you're eligible for the French State Pension.
Unless the procedure has changed since then, the OP could find out from the State Pension department of his CPAM office whether he would be eligible for his pro rata French Pension(s) if he were to be made redundant. They can consult non-French employment histories (including Saturday and holiday work when students!) if you give your NI number.....
Old Oct 19th 2019, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
They are the same
Old Oct 21st 2019, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the same as a UK pension?
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by dmu
Yes, you get them separately from all of the various Pension Funds that you've contributed to over the years.
The French and UK State Pensions are paid pro rata when you reach Pension age, but in France you must have worked the statutory number of trimestres (which has probably changed since my time) before you're eligible for the French State Pension.
Unless the procedure has changed since then, the OP could find out from the State Pension department of his CPAM office whether he would be eligible for his pro rata French Pension(s) if he were to be made redundant. They can consult non-French employment histories (including Saturday and holiday work when students!) if you give your NI number.....
Does anyone know the exact process for getting this done, and the benefit it gives? I have consulted my "caisse de retraite" online space and it seems I can ask to set up a consultation but it does not say exactly how to do that. I have heard that I may have to scan and sent in a copy of all my historic payslips, which would take time to find and copy and seems an inefficient way if they already have access to NI records...but then this is France.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by south_bound
Does anyone know the exact process for getting this done, and the benefit it gives? I have consulted my "caisse de retraite" online space and it seems I can ask to set up a consultation but it does not say exactly how to do that. I have heard that I may have to scan and sent in a copy of all my historic payslips, which would take time to find and copy and seems an inefficient way if they already have access to NI records...but then this is France.
If you are looking for details of your NI contributions, then you can ask DWP for a UK State pension forecast.
This gives details of your NI contributions year-by-year showing any gaps.
This allows you to decide if you need to buy extra years contributions.
Rather than scanning each payslip, you could just produce P60s (if you still have them).

Old Oct 23rd 2019, 8:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by south_bound
The procedure is maybe different now, but I queued up at the weekly "Permanence" in my nearest town without an appointment and, after having checked my French employment history, the agent simply entered my NI number in his computer. To my amazement, not only the relatively short time I was salaried in the UK, but also my Saturday and holiday jobs came up, and all usefully added up to complete the French "trimestres" necessary to apply for French State Pension..
In reply to another question, it's too complicated to say how much the French State Pension is, there are many factors to take into account, e.g. the number of children you've brought up, your profession,.....
Old Oct 26th 2019, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
If you are looking for details of your NI contributions, then you can ask DWP for a UK State pension forecast.
This gives details of your NI contributions year-by-year showing any gaps.
This allows you to decide if you need to buy extra years contributions.
Rather than scanning each payslip, you could just produce P60s (if you still have them).
HI! If you've worked in France :On the "l'assurance retraite" website you can ask for your "relevé de carrière en ligne" and then see your trimestres. Then you can ask for "estimation de retraite" which gives you roughly the amount of your future pension when you reach the age for full pension.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
If you're made redundant after you've worked the statutory number of Trimestres in the UK and in France, you might be eligible for your pro rata French Pension.
As said, depending on your contributions you'd get chômage for a limited time, during which you have to clock in regularly at the Pôle-Emploi and justify that you're looking for work. I believe that the benefits stop if you refuse a number of job offers....
HTH
If you are a British citizen living in France, UK services refuse to give any details before you're 66!!!
Old Oct 26th 2019, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
UK refused to give French Carsat any informations! They're not answering at all. We called and been said that no information will be given before I reach UK pension age which is 66.... Only because I live abroad!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2019, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
They are the same
No sorry! I meant UK pension! 😉