Reload this Page >

Help registering UK RHD car in France - Carte Griste

Help registering UK RHD car in France - Carte Griste

Old Oct 26th 2019, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Korgi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help registering UK RHD car in France - Carte Griste

Hi All

I’m having issues registering a UK RHD car in France. I bought a used BMW M5 from a dealer in the UK and currently live in Paris on a special residence permit.

The issue I have is that the bureaucrats are insisting that I fill in a Cerfa 15776*01 certificate of transfer form. Which is nonsense as the form is meant for a car/purchase sale in France and technically some of the boxes can’t be filled in. The other issue is that it requires the dealer in UK to fill it in - which is an issue as the deal is well and truly done.

Technically I understand that I only need a copy of the invoice from the car dealer (which I have provided) and the UK registration - V5C, which I also have provided. The V5C might also be questioned I’ve been told as it’s not in my name (it’s in the old owner’s name who traded the car into the dealer) and the DVLA no longer issues export certificates.

Has anyone got any experience with such a situation? Alternatively, are there any registration services or lawyers in Paris that could assist me with this?

I have all other necessary documents such as the Certificate of Conformity and this is the last step. I also am exempt from the Control Technique and registration taxes as I’m getting the car put on diplomatic plates as I work at an Embassy.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help registering UK RHD car in France - Carte Griste

Try this
Old Oct 26th 2019, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I've not checked the video link provided by ET, but my thoughts are as follows.
I understand that currently the vehicle is not registered in your name. Not only the invoice, but the proof that the vehicle is registered in your name is essential for the French to issue a certificate of immatriculation/carte gris. If the vehicle had been officially registered in your name, you'd be 'almost there.
As you cannot prove that it's registered in your name, the French are requesting their equivalent document which must be completed by the seller and the new owner. Imho there should be no reason why yourself and the seller (whether registered in the name of the original owner, or now by a purchasing garage) cannot complete Cerfa Cerfa 15776*01 together. I've just had a look at the document, and I can't see any technical reason to prevent yourself and the seller from completing this.
Taking official delivery of a vehicle before ensuring it's registered with the authorities in your name is dodgy. Attempting to re-register that same vehicle in France I'd say is near impossible - but someone here may prove me wrong.
I've sold 2 vehicles here over the last 12 years. One to a dealer, and one privately. On both occasions I provided the required doc to be completed by myself and the buyer. The private buyer initially was impatient and was reluctant to spend the time to complete the required document. When I insisted and said otherwise there was no deal, he relented and together we completed the paperwork. I was doing myself & him a favour, without it he couldn't re-register in his name. (At the time I was selling an immaculate 12month old Smart4Two at a price well below Argus for a quick sale, and the buyer knew he was getting an absolute bargain).

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Oct 26th 2019 at 6:54 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Just been watching the video link supplied by ET. Very interesting!
It appears that you will have to obtain another fully-detailed invoice for the vehicle in French (not so easy as you've now left), also the necessary quitus fiscal. Good luck.
I've said more than once on this forum that the hassle that one may encounter when importing a r-h drive vehicle from UK for re-registering is often just not worth it.
Years ago - before I knew any better, I did just this with an MGC, a car which wasn't sold in France, and at that time the most infuriating part of the excercise was finding and changing out components - headlights etc that did not conform.
Even on a recent EU German produced vehicle, you may find there are some components specfically for the UK market, which do not conform to French specs.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Who issues the CD plates, Is it the French authorities or do the Embassy organise it? I think you should ask for advice there anyway as this is similar to armed forces in Europe who also have their own plates/registration systems in place. Good Luck.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by calman014
Who issues the CD plates, Is it the French authorities or do the Embassy organise it? I think you should ask for advice there anyway as this is similar to armed forces in Europe who also have their own plates/registration systems in place. Good Luck.
Very good point. I wouldn't be surprised if your Embassy had more than a few strings to pull to convince the need to the French authorities. Unless there's some difference for an Embassy supplied vehicle and a staff personally owned vehicle.
I have a colleague who's with the French Embassy, currently changing posts between India and somewhere in France, so maybe difficult to contact.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Oct 26th 2019 at 9:40 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Oops missed the bit about diplomatic plates, didn't read to the end, sorry.
In that case surely your embassy will sort it - separate system entirely.
Mind you drive on the right side of the road ;-)
Old Oct 27th 2019, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Korgi is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Help registering UK RHD car in France - Carte Griste

Thanks all for the comments. Yes, it’s with the Embassy staff but the procedures for registration and the information required are similar to an ordinary process. The benefits come from being exempt form taxes and registration fees etc. Somewhat moot if I can’t get the car registered. I will proceed and hopefully get there eventually.

I will push for the car dealer to sign the French transfer form. The deal has been done though properly according to UK law and they don’t have Any legal obligation to help. In hindsight I would have done things slightly differently - but that’s often the case.