Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

UK tax return - online or paper

UK tax return - online or paper

Old May 1st 2019, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK tax return - online or paper

Abject apologies in advance for yet ANOTHER tax query.
This time regarding the UK tax return.

I’ve received my activation code from HMRC and was all set to do my return online only to discover that, being a non-UK resident, I can’t use the HMRC system and have to buy commercial software.
There is a whole list of possible suppliers. Obviously I need one that includes pages about residence.

I need to declare some bank interest and rental income. And was going to complete an R43 form to confirm I’m entitled to the personal allowance.

Does anybody have experience with this software? Am very tempted to just print off the relevant forms and submit a paper return. Although then of course I’ll have nothing from HMRC to confirm they’ve received it.
Old May 1st 2019, 5:45 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK tax return - online or paper

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Abject apologies in advance for yet ANOTHER tax query.
This time regarding the UK tax return.

I’ve received my activation code from HMRC and was all set to do my return online only to discover that, being a non-UK resident, I can’t use the HMRC system and have to buy commercial software.
There is a whole list of possible suppliers. Obviously I need one that includes pages about residence.

I need to declare some bank interest and rental income. And was going to complete an R43 form to confirm I’m entitled to the personal allowance.

Does anybody have experience with this software? Am very tempted to just print off the relevant forms and submit a paper return. Although then of course I’ll have nothing from HMRC to confirm they’ve received it.
Why buy software when you can just print off a paper form and fill it in yourself, where are you technically resident and who needs to know the most about what software doesn't tend to answer those questions?
Old May 1st 2019, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as I said in my post, if you file your return online you get confirmation that HMRC have received it.
Otherwise you just have to hope they don’t mislay it.

Old May 1st 2019, 7:20 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as I said in my post, if you file your return online you get confirmation that HMRC have received it.
Otherwise you just have to hope they don’t mislay it.

Registered post legally confirms they have received it, bet it's cheaper than the software.
Old May 1st 2019, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I would use a paper form, no way would I pay for software. Get proof of posting or proof of delivery if you really don't trust them. I wouldn't let myself feel obliged to shell out money I shouldn't need to spend, just because HMRC have a reputation for losing things - I bet this software isn't cheap.
UK bank interest is normally taxable in France if you live in France, not in the UK.
Old May 2nd 2019, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Eurotrash.
A friend has just recommended 1, 2,3 software which costs £15 and you don’t have to pay until the very end so - provided I don’t have to give credit card details upfront - I might try it just for fun.
I’m surprised HMRC doesn’t make online filing available free to non-residents, given that they’re keen for us to move away from paper filing.
Will probably end up doing a paper return.

Re. UK interest - yes, it’s taxable in France and I’ve already declared it in my French tax return.
But if the UK forms ask about bank interest, presumably I have to tell them about it (even though it’s not taxable in the UK. In the same way I have to tell the French about my UK rental income - even though it’s taxable in the UK, not France).

Old May 2nd 2019, 7:17 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Eurotrash.
A friend has just recommended 1, 2,3 software which costs £15 and you don’t have to pay until the very end so - provided I don’t have to give credit card details upfront - I might try it just for fun.
I’m surprised HMRC doesn’t make online filing available free to non-residents, given that they’re keen for us to move away from paper filing.
Will probably end up doing a paper return.

Re. UK interest - yes, it’s taxable in France and I’ve already declared it in my French tax return.
But if the UK forms ask about bank interest, presumably I have to tell them about it (even though it’s not taxable in the UK. In the same way I have to tell the French about my UK rental income - even though it’s taxable in the UK, not France).

My tax return got lost once ... cost me 100 £ !
It was ''lost in the post'' for 2,5 months if I remember right.
When I rang them to complain, they did actually receive it. Still had to pay even though the date I filled it in was in August and they could see that.
Now I sent it registered and ring them 1,5 months later to ask if they have it.

With this software, one can file on line ? You have to purchase it once or every year ?
If it's every year, registered mail is cheaper.
Old May 2nd 2019, 7:24 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Re your UK rental income, the French will add it to your total income, calculate the tax on it and then deduct from your taxbill whatever you should have paid in France.
They don't deduct the UK tax amount.
That's how I understand it and it suits me very well since my rental income is lower than the tax free allowance. So I don't pay in the UK and still the French deduct an amount from the their tax bill. Win - win situation.

For some reason though, every year my tax calculation is different. But they always deduct an amount for the English rental.
Old May 2nd 2019, 10:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I have, with gritted teeth, paid for the software (same one as posted above) & actually found the whole process quite satisfactory, more, I think, than by paper & post.
Old May 2nd 2019, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I use TaxCalc.
Old May 2nd 2019, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Out of interest, I tried 1,2,3 today.
I didn’t have to give any credit card details upfront and was able to complete all the different sections I needed (residence & property), saving the data as I went along.
I was also able to print it out.
I’m just checking a few figures tonight and will pay the £15 fee tomorrow and submit it.
Found it very easy to use. I say this as someone who is a complete techo-nincompoop.
And at least this way I’ll know for sure that HMRC have received it.

Annetje, yes, you have to pay for the software every year.
You have to get an activation code from HMRC - which is sent by post and took over 3 weeks to arrive.