Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

UK citizen moving with Chinese wife

UK citizen moving with Chinese wife

Old Jul 16th 2018, 6:32 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen moving with Chinese wife

Originally Posted by hasen
The earnings would be transferred to France as and when needed. My earnings all go into my bank in England and are transferred to China as and when needed. The problem with being self employed with 'online' jobs is that often income doesn't come into the country you live in. Not sure if there are rules to take into account these kinds of things. Proof of resources sounds fine enough but they don't say what they need to be.

Yeah they certainly don't want to give information about that. Unlike the UK visa which has very specific details regarding that. I guess that's the culture difference. Thanks for your help anyway.
Out of interest, I clicked on "où s'adresser" in the above link and it only gives the French Départements with the telephone/mail address/site of the Service-Etranger of the Préfecture selected. If you know where you'll be living, you could contact them. It may be that Préfectures differ as to the financial conditions, which might explain why no figures are given nationally.
Following on from ET's post, I would research the consequences of your wife setting up a business and keeping her earnings in China. The Fisc would look askance at your own financial arrangements and the UK is still in the EU - a red flag would surely go up for a non-EU country.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

hasen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Well, what EU citizens have is the RIGHT TO freedom of movement. Rights are automatically linked with obligations, or at least in France they are (droits et devoirs) and I would think in most people's minds, so normally if you want to exercise a right, one of the first things you do is find out what the associated obligations are. Rights don't usually mean "carte blanche", or at least not in the EU.

Re banks and business income, I think you might be hoping for a bit more flexibility than French rules allow for. If you say you run a business in France, the prefecture isn't interested in a UK bank statement showing an un-itemised credit balance and you explaining you don't keep French accounts because you run your business in sterling. What they expect is a set of business records that complies with French fiscal requirements, designed so that they can easily verify a business' turnover, ie match up each credit payment into your designated French business account (obligatory for a micro entrepreneur) with the corresponding invoice (in euros), and if they're feeling super keen, check that the service invoiced for is the service that you're registered to provide and that the invoice has all the obligatory mentions légales on it. It's how France works. Droits et devoirs, rights and obligations, you meet your obligations to the state and the state will meet its obligations towards you, or alternatively, you don't bother with the rules and the state won't bother granting you any rights.

In fact as far as business accounts go it's not hard to comply. I also work online, for clients across the EU and some outside it. Mostly I can get the payments into my French business account (PayPal, SEPA transfers etc), and for the few that pay in the UK, I simply calculate the exchange rate on the day the payment is received in sterling, and create a euro invoice to that amount on my system; that way my turnover figure always reflects actual turnover.

You don't need to earn megabucks, just enough to be self supporting (ie enough to pay a decent level of social security contributions so that you're not being subsidised by other workers).
Yes but that's Europe, China don't use anything like paypal etc, they have their own systems that are linked with her Chinese bank accounts. Since she'd be applying for the France visa in China I'd assume that they'd understand her Chinese business would deal with Chinese people, Chinese payment systems and thus all, at least initially goes into a Chinese bank account. This is what I mean by no modern rules. I remember I had a problem about 10 years ago in England because they wanted a reference from my boss. But I didn't have a boss because I was self employed, so they said ok from a client then, but I said my job doesn't involve any clients. I think in the end we made up a fake client because they wouldn't have it any other way. No modern rules for a modern world.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Out of interest, I clicked on "où s'adresser" in the above link and it only gives the French Départements with the telephone/mail address/site of the Service-Etranger of the Préfecture selected. If you know where you'll be living, you could contact them. It may be that Préfectures differ as to the financial conditions, which might explain why no figures are given nationally.
Following on from ET's post, I would research the consequences of your wife setting up a business and keeping her earnings in China. The Fisc would look askance at your own financial arrangements and the UK is still in the EU - a red flag would surely go up for a non-EU country.
Yes I'm thinking it's going to be difficult to prove earnings and such. I'm wondering if I was a student would that work? So I'm studying and then she comes across to France as a family member spouse visa?
Old Jul 17th 2018, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's really about being "modern", it's about transparency and accountability and responsibility and all that. If modern means unregulated then France never will be modern, because it is never going to go down the unregulated route.
One of the criteria for residence here is that France is the centre of your economic interests. If your economic interests are in fact entirely elsewhere, the question might arise as to why you would want to apply for residence in France.
I don't know about Chinese business structures but would it not be possible, for instance, for your wife to retain a company (personne morale) in China, and that company employs her (personne physique) in France? The turnover would then stay in China and be subject to corporate tax there, or whatever they have, and her salary ie personal earned income would be subject to social security deductions and tax in France. All requirements met and everybody happy. That's what a UK person would do if they wanted to move to France but keep trading in the UK as a UK business.
Being a student might work, although obviously you would still have to prove sufficient ressources and health coverage for both of you.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...n/index_fr.htm

Si vous êtes étudiant

Si vous êtes étudiant et vivez dans un autre pays de l'UE, votre conjoint, vos enfants et petits-enfants à charge peuvent séjourner avec vous, à condition que:
  • vous soyez inscrit dans un établissement d'enseignement agréé;
  • vous disposiez d'un revenu suffisant pour subvenir aux besoins de toute votre famille sans demander d'aide financière;
  • vous ayez souscrit une assurance maladie complète pour toute votre famille dans votre pays d'accueil.
But if you are in fact going to carry on running your business to earn money to live on, that business will still somehow have to fall into line with French legislation, so I don't really see what would be solved. Being a student doesn't mean you are exempt from the usual regulations and you can run an unregistered / noncompliant business on the side.
At the end of the day, if you live in France you have to accept that that will make you subject French legislation. Moving to a country whose laws don't suit you, is going to be a square peg / round hole scenario. It's a fact that France is far more tightly regulated than many EU countries, especially where running a business is concerned.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 7:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I'm thinking it's going to be difficult to prove earnings and such. I'm wondering if I was a student would that work? So I'm studying and then she comes across to France as a family member spouse visa?
You're losing me.
There was mention of "étudiant" in one of the above links which you could check on, but how are you going to prove to the Authorities that you've enough ressources (and healthcare coverage) for yourself and later, your wife? You'd have to research as to whether you can have Student Status AND run a business structure to ensure income. But the first thing would be to find a Uni course which would accept you (it's probably a mess at the moment with BAC holders applying for any places still available).
The latest figures for the Poverty Threshold in France (sorry, I can't find the link, google "INSEE seuil de pauvreté") give just over 20 000 € p.a. for a single person which isn't far off the figure required to sponsor someone in the UK. Without the financial conditions being written down in black and white, if your expected "take-home" income is above that figure, your own Résidence should be granted.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

I don't think it's really about being "modern", it's about transparency and accountability and responsibility and all that. If modern means unregulated then France never will be modern, because it is never going to go down the unregulated route.
One of the criteria for residence here is that France is the centre of your economic interests. If your economic interests are in fact entirely elsewhere, the question might arise as to why you would want to apply for residence in France.
I don't know about Chinese business structures but would it not be possible, for instance, for your wife to retain a company (personne morale) in China, and that company employs her (personne physique) in France? The turnover would then stay in China and be subject to corporate tax there, or whatever they have, and her salary ie personal earned income would be subject to social security deductions and tax in France. All requirements met and everybody happy. That's what a UK person would do if they wanted to move to France but keep trading in the UK as a UK business.
Being a student might work, although obviously you would still have to prove sufficient ressources and health coverage for both of you.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...n/index_fr.htmSi vous êtes étudiant

Si vous êtes étudiant et vivez dans un autre pays de l'UE, votre conjoint, vos enfants et petits-enfants à charge peuvent séjourner avec vous, à condition que:
  • vous soyez inscrit dans un établissement d'enseignement agréé;
  • vous disposiez d'un revenu suffisant pour subvenir aux besoins de toute votre famille sans demander d'aide financière;
  • vous ayez souscrit une assurance maladie complète pour toute votre famille dans votre pays d'accueil.
But if you are in fact going to carry on running your business to earn money to live on, that business will still somehow have to fall into line with French legislation, so I don't really see what would be solved. Being a student doesn't mean you are exempt from the usual regulations and you can run an unregistered / noncompliant business on the side.
At the end of the day, if you live in France you have to accept that that will make you subject French legislation. Moving to a country whose laws don't suit you, is going to be a square peg / round hole scenario. It's a fact that France is far more tightly regulated than many EU countries, especially where running a business is concerned.
Also if you think about it would be somewhat weird. She lives in China and she will be when she applies for the visa for France, so why would all her earnings already be going into a France bank account? All that you've said may make sense after she's already been living in France for a while but not at the point she applies for the visa. It's all about proving your income prior to moving to said country. Like for example in the UK if you are self employed they ask for your last tax return to prove your current income. But in real terms that can effectively be 2 years ago.

I found the application form which literally doesn't appear to ask for anything. I'm assuming you can read French otherwise there's also a 100% English version. https://static.tlscontact.com/media/...ong_sejour.pdf

Last edited by hasen; Jul 17th 2018 at 7:59 am.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
You're losing me.
There was mention of "étudiant" in one of the above links which you could check on, but how are you going to prove to the Authorities that you've enough ressources (and healthcare coverage) for yourself and later, your wife? You'd have to research as to whether you can have Student Status AND run a business structure to ensure income. But the first thing would be to find a Uni course which would accept you (it's probably a mess at the moment with BAC holders applying for any places still available).
The latest figures for the Poverty Threshold in France (sorry, I can't find the link, google "INSEE seuil de pauvreté") give just over 20 000 € p.a. for a single person which isn't far off the figure required to sponsor someone in the UK. Without the financial conditions being written down in black and white, if your expected "take-home" income is above that figure, your own Résidence should be granted.
Why am I losing you lol. When I first moved to China it was on a student visa since as long as you pay the tuition fees you get the visa. Later after getting married it was no longer necessary to study. Student visas are normally easier to get since you're paying for it, rather than trying to justify your right to live there based on status etc.

For the UK spouse visa you can prove your ability to sustain yourself by salary amount but also by savings. Granted it is very high at £60,000 but the option is at least there. France does not have this at all to your knowledge? I haven't come across it but we haven't come across much regarding this at all though.

Last edited by hasen; Jul 17th 2018 at 8:03 am.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

As said previously.
Your wife is applying for residence as your dependent. They won't look into her financial situation at all at that point. Provided you are living here "legally", she is entitled to join you - regardless of whether she has any income of not.
Her carte de séjour will give her the right to work in France and French business rules will only apply from the point she wants to start to be economically active in France, same as they do for anyone else here who starts a business.

You do need to think a bit long term because her visa will have to keep being renewed, it's not just a one-off thing. Also, post Brexit you will yourself need an official droit de séjour as the right to freedom of movement will end; the current position seems to be that Brits in the EU will be allowed to stay, and after 5 years continuous legal residence they will still qualify for a permanent droit au séjour as they do now. So you will still need to keep your ducks in a row once you are here, to make sure you are allowed to stay.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jul 17th 2018 at 8:14 am.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 8:35 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Also if you think about it would be somewhat weird. She lives in China and she will be when she applies for the visa for France, so why would all her earnings already be going into a France bank account? All that you've said may make sense after she's already been living in France for a while but not at the point she applies for the visa. It's all about proving your income prior to moving to said country. Like for example in the UK if you are self employed they ask for your last tax return to prove your current income. But in real terms that can effectively be 2 years ago.

I found the application form which literally doesn't appear to ask for anything. I'm assuming you can read French otherwise there's also a 100% English version. https://static.tlscontact.com/media/...ong_sejour.pdf
Your assumption is correct.
The form isn't asking for specifics, but your details will be entered in Nos. 28 et seq, and you will come under scrutiny. This will be impossible if you aren't already resident in France with a bona fide address, "moyens d'existence", healthcare cover, etc...
As said, you must get out of the China (and UK) mindset, and take on board how things are in France. Which brings me back to wondering why you've chosen France, surely the most complicated Bureaucracy in Europe?
P.S. I thought the Visa route to the UK involved an annual income of about £18 600 for the sponsor... No idea whether savings are taken into account by the French Authorities. Certainly not by potential landlords, as a bank balance can be emptied from one day to the next....
Old Jul 17th 2018, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did you read the EU link on students? EU freedom of movement rules are 100% based on status, because each status has its own criteria. How it works in China isn't really relevant here. In any case, French tuition fees are very very low.

I honestly am baffled as to why this is such a headache. If you are in a position to support yourselves sustainably and pay your way, all above board, you will get a visa. France is not unreasonable about these things, it prides itself on treating people fairly (which of course includes protecting its own taxpayers, hence why it doesn't grant residence to incomers who risk becoming a burden on society). If you don't earn enough to support yourselves, why would you even want to come here to live in poverty. The sticking point seems to be that you seem to want to keep your business arrangements out of the picture, but that's not possible because how can France make an informed decision if it can't make an objective assessment of your situation. A person can't simply say they have x amount of income from an unspecified source (unless of course you're a dodgy Russian who wants to live in London) because that would leave the door open to money laundering or working on the black or criminal activities or anything. And if, technically, your income comes from running a business in your host country, then it's not unreasonable is it to insist on that business being fully legal in compliance with your host country's business legislation.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jul 17th 2018 at 9:00 am.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 9:15 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did you read the EU link on students? EU freedom of movement rules are 100% based on status, because each status has its own criteria. How it works in China isn't really relevant here. In any case, French tuition fees are very very low.

I honestly am baffled as to why this is such a headache. If you are in a position to support yourselves sustainably and pay your way, all above board, you will get a visa. France is not unreasonable about these things, it prides itself on treating people fairly (which of course includes protecting its own taxpayers, hence why it doesn't grant residence to incomers who risk becoming a burden on society). If you don't earn enough to support yourselves, why would you even want to come here to live in poverty. The sticking point seems to be that you seem to want to keep your business arrangements out of the picture, but that's not possible because how can France make an informed decision if it can't make an objective assessment of your situation. A person can't simply say they have x amount of income from an unspecified source (unless of course you're a dodgy Russian who wants to live in London) because that would leave the door open to money laundering or working on the black or criminal activities or anything. And if, technically, your income comes from running a business in your host country, then it's not unreasonable is it to insist on that business being fully legal in compliance with your host country's business legislation.

I've been accused of assuming wrongly in the past, and hesitate to assume anything here, but it sounds as though the OP's income and means of obtaining it are acceptable for residence in China, but inadequate for France (or the UK as he mentioned right at the beginning), and this seems to be the cause of the head-ache.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

I honestly am baffled as to why this is such a headache. If you are in a position to support yourselves sustainably and pay your way, all above board, you will get a visa.
OK why the sudden change of tune? Up until now you've been saying even if her bank account is not in France there might be a problem. Being able to pay your way and proving that are very different things unfortunately. Anything other than having a bog standard 9-5 job it can be difficult. In China they don't require any proof of earnings or employment since the government won't give you public funds for unemployment on this type of visa anyway.

France is not unreasonable about these things, it prides itself on treating people fairly (which of course includes protecting its own taxpayers, hence why it doesn't grant residence to incomers who risk becoming a burden on society). If you don't earn enough to support yourselves, why would you even want to come here to live in poverty.
Well exactly, so why bother to check. Better to do an IQ test. Just don't grant unemployment benefit to anyone on this type of visa seems a much simpler system. If people are going to France literally to die then what's the problem. That's why in China they don't check 'cos it doesn't seem to serve a purpose.

The sticking point seems to be that you seem to want to keep your business arrangements out of the picture, but that's not possible because how can France make an informed decision if it can't make an objective assessment of your situation. A person can't simply say they have x amount of income from an unspecified source (unless of course you're a dodgy Russian who wants to live in London) because that would leave the door open to money laundering or working on the black or criminal activities or anything. And if, technically, your income comes from running a business in your host country, then it's not unreasonable is it to insist on that business being fully legal in compliance with your host country's business legislation.
If they want to check up on dodgy activity then that's understandable, but proving earnings can be difficult. Well anyway, you're right I don't know why it needs to be such a headache either. French bureaucracy I guess.

Last edited by hasen; Jul 17th 2018 at 9:50 am.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Your assumption is correct.
The form isn't asking for specifics, but your details will be entered in Nos. 28 et seq, and you will come under scrutiny. This will be impossible if you aren't already resident in France with a bona fide address, "moyens d'existence", healthcare cover, etc...
As said, you must get out of the China (and UK) mindset, and take on board how things are in France. Which brings me back to wondering why you've chosen France, surely the most complicated Bureaucracy in Europe?
P.S. I thought the Visa route to the UK involved an annual income of about £18 600 for the sponsor... No idea whether savings are taken into account by the French Authorities. Certainly not by potential landlords, as a bank balance can be emptied from one day to the next....
Yes that's what I'm trying to find out, how it is in France, but like you say 'no idea' seems to sum it up quite a bit unfortunately. Strangely their form that I attached earlier only asks to give details about how you will support yourself but doesn't ask to actually attach anything as proof unless I've read it wrong.

Also regarding no 29, surely this is her application form so how can she be already in France before she applies for her visa? Also since they don't ask for anything more how can they be scrutinised. Even when I applied for my Chinese visa they asked for many attachments as proof otherwise they can't really check anything.

Originally Posted by dmu

I've been accused of assuming wrongly in the past, and hesitate to assume anything here, but it sounds as though the OP's income and means of obtaining it are acceptable for residence in China, but inadequate for France (or the UK as he mentioned right at the beginning), and this seems to be the cause of the head-ache.
No, the problem is proof. It can be very hard to prove earnings and employment. Like my example before where I couldn't provide proof of my employment in the UK since I had no boss or any clients. That's the modern world unfortunately, many jobs can be so strange they don't have these things. e.g instagram model? There's also the complication of whether it is proving my job and my income or proving her job and her income. But in any case they're acceptable in China because they don't ask you to prove your employment or earnings and neither did they require to prove my wife's employment or earnings, since it's irrelevant because you won't get public funds from the government anyway. And I don't think they care if you die of starvation or whatever?

As for the UK, they require either a normal job earning 20k+ or 60k in savings. So unfortunately we don't have either of those.

Last edited by hasen; Jul 17th 2018 at 9:44 am.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Btw I've been so busy discussing things and trying to figure it all out with you guys, I forgot to say thanks again. Certainly much more helpful than trying to find information by searching. So often people who have been through the processes or similar processes can give you more insight than anywhere else. When my wife gets back we'll go to the embassy here in China and see if they have any more concrete details but I'm not confident!
Old Jul 17th 2018, 10:12 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes that's what I'm trying to find out, how it is in France, but like you say 'no idea'
Also regarding no 29, surely this is her application form so how can she be already in France before she applies for her visa? Also since they don't ask for anything more how can they be scrutinised.

As for the UK, they require either a normal job earning 20k+ or 60k in savings. So unfortunately we don't have either of those.
- which is what we're doing, based on official French/EU links. And ET has clearly explained the whys and wherefores. Neither of us are in your situation and, as said, no one who has enquired in the past has ever given feedback, which isn't a good sign of success.
- I've forgotten the pertinent numbers, but your wife must fill in the name and details of her "sponsor" in France and her legal tie to him. Obviously she'll be doing this in China while you'll have arrived in France already, with everything set up. The French Authorities will check on you before issuing her a Visa.
- Unfortunately this is what I assumed - if you yourself are on what the French would call the poverty threshold, they'd be dubious about your being able to sustain your wife. And as ET rightly wonders, who would want to move to another country and live in poverty?
This isn't what you're hoping to hear, but, as said, this isn't China, nor the UK.
If you're really set on moving to France, then you should consider how to increase your income (and accept to be separated from your wife for several months....)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.