Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Travel after December 2020

Travel after December 2020

Old Dec 29th 2020, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel after December 2020

More details on applying for a visa to visit Schengen for longer periods is here https://fr.tlscontact.com/gb/lon/index.php?l=en

The EU has years and years of experience of controlling movement across the Schengen border. It's a security issue and they take it very seriously. I don't think Brits are going to suddenly find a big gaping loophole that lets you in and out unchecked, that has never been spotted before.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but Brits do have a blind spot when it comes to following the rules

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lee-night.html
Old Dec 29th 2020, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Just to confirm that when a non resident enters the Schengen area their passport is stamped at point of entry and is then stamped again at point of exit so your passport will show how long you have been in Schengen In addition the EU is bringing online a computer system to stream line the policing of non Schengen residents
I remember that before 1973, some regular travellers paid the extra money for a larger passport .

Im thinking that with possibly three trips a year to my 2nd home, a city break and visa to Africa/ USA etc maybe every three years, my passport would fill up quickly.

In those bygone days , I would ask the passport officials to fill up the current page with their stamp.. Not so easy with a machine
Old Dec 30th 2020, 5:55 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Living in the Pays Basque, 5 minutes from the Spanish frontier, I suppose I have to give some thought to my frequent crossings into Spain for shopping. Up to now I haven't given any thought as to my standing as a Brit traversing the Frontier!! Given there are no customs controls presumably I can can still cross with impunity!!
Old Dec 30th 2020, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW
Living in the Pays Basque, 5 minutes from the Spanish frontier, I suppose I have to give some thought to my frequent crossings into Spain for shopping. Up to now I haven't given any thought as to my standing as a Brit traversing the Frontier!! Given there are no customs controls presumably I can can still cross with impunity!!
With a French registered vehicle I'd be surprised if one has too much hassle crossing the Spanish border and passport checks in 2021, however I wouldn't be surprised to see UK registered cars attracting far more attention, and given a little aggro.
We love the Pays Basque - a superb region, and have spent many splendid holidays in Bayonne, Anglet, Saint Jean de Luz and Biarritz. Also a number of out-of-the-way gites, the names of which I couldn't even start to spell. It was a very easy and leisurely drive down to the area from Toulouse whilst living there. Now slighly further up country, our twice-a-year drive south usually takes us into Andorra for a few days. Filling up for petrol there easily pays for the trip both ways, but never bother with the very cheap duty-free alcohol or tobacco - unlike so many of the 31 registered vehicles.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

There may well be a system in place, or in the pipeline to identify "residents" in the Schengen area. An ID card , or a stamp in the passport.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
There may well be a system in place, or in the pipeline to identify "residents" in the Schengen area. An ID card , or a stamp in the passport.
Yes, in France it is called the carte de séjour
Old Dec 30th 2020, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there is a computerised system coming into place fairly soon but I cannot remember what it is called
As a UK passport holder with permission to live in one Schengen country you can only spend a maximum of 90 in 180 days in other Schengen country
Old Dec 30th 2020, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
As a UK passport holder with permission to live in one Schengen country you can only spend a maximum of 90 in 180 days in other Schengen country
In theory. But since it won't/can't be enforced, then even as a Brit who tends to be a goody two shoes about following rules I doubt if I woujld bother keeping a tally of how many days I spent in EU countries outside of France.
Although as things stand it is a safe bet that the tally for the foreseeable future will be 0. Even getting to France is looking like a long waiting game.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

French passport holders register their fingerprints along with their passports and the system is called PARAFE.
Up until Brexit, an EU citizen could register their fingerprints with their UK or other passports in a gendarmerie.
We registered our fingerprints several years ago which allowed us to use the automatic entry/exit booths when arriving in France.
This system may still be available to Brits holding residence cards but is unlikely to be continued for non-residents.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cyrian
This system may still be available to Brits holding residence cards but is unlikely to be continued for non-residents.
Yes, fingerprints are always taken when residence cards are issued.
But the EU has categorically ruled out the possibility of British passport holders who have EU residence permits using the EU lane at passport control, the question was asked and the answer was a firm Non.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Yes, fingerprints are always taken when residence cards are issued.
But the EU has categorically ruled out the possibility of British passport holders who have EU residence permits using the EU lane at passport control, the question was asked and the answer was a firm Non.
Indeed but I posted the information for the benefit of those who perhaps didn't know about PARAFE and the automatic gates at airports (which are often out of order).