Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Travel after December 2020

Travel after December 2020

Old Jul 3rd 2020, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all
Default Travel after December 2020

Hi all,

We are looking to move to France before December this year, my question is ...... is it possible to travel to and from France without a residency permit until July 2021?
Old Jul 4th 2020, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel after December 2020

Hi
Are you travelling on a UK or a Canadian passport?
People have travelled to and from France before the EU and will continue to do so post Brexit.
I do not know the rules for Canada but a US citizen can visit France for up to 6 months without a visa.
HTH
Old Jul 4th 2020, 7:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi
Are you travelling on a UK or a Canadian passport?
People have travelled to and from France before the EU and will continue to do so post Brexit.
I do not know the rules for Canada but a US citizen can visit France for up to 6 months without a visa.
HTH
Canadians visits without a visa are restricted to 90 days in any 180 days.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see that July 2021 has any significance at all in relation to travel. France is surely not going to put up the barricades and not let anybody in or out!
AFAIK the rules for visitors will not change.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 12:18 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Moving before December 2020 or visiting before July 2021 are two very different proposals - which are you trying to do?
Old Jul 11th 2020, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Rereading this post, perhaps the OP means that they will be moving to France before December, then between Jan and July they will want to go back and forth and they're not anticipating having a CdS by that time.
But I don't think there's much to be added to what's already been said.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

Am I right in assuming then... that if a UK citizen is in France before the 31/12/2020 then they will be able to stay longer than 90 days without being asked to leave?
Old Jul 17th 2020, 12:12 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sidgold
Am I right in assuming then... that if a UK citizen is in France before the 31/12/2020 then they will be able to stay longer than 90 days without being asked to leave?
Providing you register then yes.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Providing you register then yes.
How do you register?
Old Jul 17th 2020, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sidgold
After 31.12.20, a UK citizen without the right to reside in France is allowed to visit France/Schengen for a maximum of 90 days in 180.
But it's not a police state, nobody is going to tap you on your shoulder and ask you to leave! It's up to the visitor to ensure they don't overstay.
After 31.12.20 Brits' passports will be checked on entry and on departure, and if on departure it appears that a Brit been in France for more than 90 days, and doesn't have a carte de séjour, immigration will take whatever steps they take with visitors who have overstayed. I don't actually know what those steps are - a telling off? A fine? A ban on entering France again for a year? Anybody know?

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jul 17th 2020 at 7:28 am.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by cyrian
How do you register?
https://brexit.gouv.fr/sites/brexit/...sejour-en.html
Old Jul 17th 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
After 31.12.20, a UK citizen without the right to reside in France is allowed to visit France/Schengen for a maximum of 90 days in 180.
But it's not a police state, nobody is going to tap you on your shoulder and ask you to leave! It's up to the visitor to ensure they don't overstay.
After 31.12.20 Brits' passports will be checked on entry and on departure, and if on departure it appears that a Brit been in France for more than 90 days, and doesn't have a carte de séjour, immigration will take whatever steps they take with visitors who have overstayed. I don't actually know what those steps are - a telling off? A fine? A ban on entering France again for a year? Anybody know?
It’s been a while since I had to know about this so my information may be out of date but if you left the country voluntarily and had overstayed by less than 30 days then you would receive a fine and a telling off; over 30 days it would be a fine and you’d be flagged on the computer as an overstayer meaning you would be a lot less likely to be admitted the next time you tried to enter the country.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks BIP
I don't need to register but it is a good link for those who do.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It’s been a while since I had to know about this so my information may be out of date but if you left the country voluntarily and had overstayed by less than 30 days then you would receive a fine and a telling off; over 30 days it would be a fine and you’d be flagged on the computer as an overstayer meaning you would be a lot less likely to be admitted the next time you tried to enter the country.
Thanks. I did wonder what happened, not that I intend to try it personally, so this is interesting to know.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

When the time comes I will apply for what's needed. Just curious though, if you're married to a French person, and have kids who are born here who have French ID and to all extents and purposes are French ( with French also being their primary language), I can't imagine they would start splitting up families! I guess at worse they could issue a fine. I don't really care for the tit for tat games politicians play, but I suspect it shouldn't be too complicated to apply. All a big step backwards though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.