The 'Tour'

Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 'Tour'

The Tour de France passes through our village today between 15:30 and 16:00 local time.
You can't miss me, as I'll be waving a Jolly-Roger on Brexit flag, with an effigy of Borris Johnson......
Arrival is expected in Toulouse around 16:30, so some excellent arial video can be expected between those times, especially of La Ville Rose.

Old Jul 17th 2019, 10:04 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 'Tour'

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
The Tour de France passes through our village today between 15:30 and 16:00 local time.
You can't miss me, as I'll be waving a Jolly-Roger on Brexit flag, with an effigy of Borris Johnson......
Arrival is expected in Toulouse around 16:30, so some excellent arial video can be expected between those times, especially of La Ville Rose.

Just checked the TV coverage - it starts at 15h00 on France 2, so fame should strike you!
I haven't drummed up any enthusiasm for the Tour this year, it was really OH's annual Must-Watch....
Old Jul 17th 2019, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

I'll watch out ! I watch.every single day but on ITV 4 - fewer adverts and less hysteria!
Old Jul 17th 2019, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give you both a wave.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 2:12 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give you both a wave.
Presuming it was all on schedule, no one seemed to wave at the camera (did the Gendarmes confiscate your outrageous flag?)
Old Jul 17th 2019, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
Presuming it was all on schedule, no one seemed to wave at the camera (did the Gendarmes confiscate your outrageous flag?)
The flag was ok, but they confiscated Mme TP. Her makeup was scaring the kids. And I told her when we left that it wasn't a halloween gathering!

For those who have never witnessed the 'Tour' live, all I can say is that the organisation & co-ordination is truly mind-boggling. I've watched in the past on tv, but seeing it first hand is really something else. Five mins before the arrival of the race leaders, no fewer than 5 (military?) helecopters flew overhead, followed by hundreds of security and other race related vehicles. Another two film-reporting helicopters then preceded the race leaders.
I reckon our mayor will be jumping up and down with rage, as a few minutes before the leaders and the peleton reached our village there was a commercial break on TF2 who'd been transmitting live. Watching the recorded transmission afterwards, it appears I've had by several miliseconds of fame, but fear that the clip of Mme won't make it from the cutting room floor!
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:17 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The flag was ok, but they confiscated Mme TP. Her makeup was scaring the kids. And I told her when we left that it wasn't a halloween gathering!

For those who have never witnessed the 'Tour' live, all I can say is that the organisation & co-ordination is truly mind-boggling. I've watched in the past on tv, but seeing it first hand is really something else. Five mins before the arrival of the race leaders, no fewer than 5 (military?) helecopters flew overhead, followed by hundreds of security and other race related vehicles. Another two film-reporting helicopters then preceded the race leaders.
I reckon our mayor will be jumping up and down with rage, as a few minutes before the leaders and the peleton reached our village there was a commercial break on TF2 who'd been transmitting live. Watching the recorded transmission afterwards, it appears I've had by several miliseconds of fame, but fear that the clip of Mme won't make it from the cutting room floor!
I must have blinked just then!
Old Jul 18th 2019, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

It is a great event isn't it? We have now seen it live 3 times. The last 2 years ago when it went right past our hameau and we had a massive party. Grandpabunz was waving his Bahamian flag and that did make it to the screen. Our family in the UK was thrilled to bits!
Old Jul 18th 2019, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by grannybunz
It is a great event isn't it? We have now seen it live 3 times. The last 2 years ago when it went right past our hameau and we had a massive party. Grandpabunz was waving his Bahamian flag and that did make it to the screen. Our family in the UK was thrilled to bits!
So the family Grannybunz have had their several seconds of fame too. Kudos.
The 1st time I witnessed the Tour de France circus, was in July 1988, when the Toulouse/Saint Girons leg departed from within the Aerospatiale, Blagnac works - now part of the Airbus facility. The Tour teams were positioned just outside our office overlooking what was the Concorde production hangar. Happy times indeed, and not just for the TdeFrance experience.

I was reading this summary recently which tells of many things of The Tour we know about, and even more we weren't aware of. Interesting!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_France

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 18th 2019 at 4:56 pm.