Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

those old painted advertisements

those old painted advertisements

Old Nov 25th 2007, 6:01 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute
Default those old painted advertisements

I hope this thread runs for a while. I'm a landscape archaeologist/historian and one thing that I've been noticing for a few years is the old painted adverts that you see (on the sides of houses for example) besides the roads of France. You know the sort of thing I mean, Dubonnet adverts. I've been travelling to this country for nearly 30 years now and I've noticed recently that there are less and less of these visible. Clearly they wear out with time, rain and sun, but also they are painted over or cemented over (or pebble-dashed!). I've started keeping a record of those I see, taking photographs of them basically. I've got a bit of sad collectors mentality which I admit with only mild shame. I wonder if anyone else would be willing to take a photo or two to post on this forum so that I can see them and others too? It'd be interesting to see where they are more numerous and if there are any cases of them getting protected. I would guess that the North would be rich in them as there are the big Route National leaving Paris where they would have been placed. In the UK such adverts might become the subject of Heritage protection orders. Anyway, I'll leave this as it is and invite anyone to contribute. I was doing this alone but I've realised that this forum is an ideal network to gather more information and I hope examples. Thanks for reading this and hope you like the pictures I post below.
Attached Thumbnails those old painted advertisements-firstdayatschool-12-.jpg   those old painted advertisements-picture-022.jpg   those old painted advertisements-dubonnet.jpg   those old painted advertisements-kronenbourg.jpg  
Old Nov 25th 2007, 6:33 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: those old painted advertisements

Iv always got my camera with me so soon as I spot one Il take a photo for you,think theres about three in this village Il investigate.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:24 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treskillard
I hope this thread runs for a while. I'm a landscape archaeologist/historian and one thing that I've been noticing for a few years is the old painted adverts that you see (on the sides of houses for example) besides the roads of France. You know the sort of thing I mean, Dubonnet adverts. I've been travelling to this country for nearly 30 years now and I've noticed recently that there are less and less of these visible. Clearly they wear out with time, rain and sun, but also they are painted over or cemented over (or pebble-dashed!). I've started keeping a record of those I see, taking photographs of them basically. I've got a bit of sad collectors mentality which I admit with only mild shame. I wonder if anyone else would be willing to take a photo or two to post on this forum so that I can see them and others too? It'd be interesting to see where they are more numerous and if there are any cases of them getting protected. I would guess that the North would be rich in them as there are the big Route National leaving Paris where they would have been placed. In the UK such adverts might become the subject of Heritage protection orders. Anyway, I'll leave this as it is and invite anyone to contribute. I was doing this alone but I've realised that this forum is an ideal network to gather more information and I hope examples. Thanks for reading this and hope you like the pictures I post below.
I have a good friend who is a professional photographer. Once he had an interesting commission, which was to take photos of everyday things which immediately told the viewer where they were.

Lamp posts in Paris, lamp posts in London, lamp posts in Berlin. Dubonnet wall posters in France, und so weiter.

He was well paid for this project.

It's been done.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:31 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I have a good friend who is a professional photographer. Once he had an interesting commission, which was to take photos of everyday things which immediately told the viewer where they were.

Lamp posts in Paris, lamp posts in London, lamp posts in Berlin. Dubonnet wall posters in France, und so weiter.

He was well paid for this project.

It's been done.
You mean his project has been done?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:28 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple close by to us Treskillard, I'll grab a few shots for you this afternoon hopefully. Do you want me to post them here, or send them to you direct?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:23 am
down under where

Originally Posted by Le Chant
There are a couple close by to us Treskillard, I'll grab a few shots for you this afternoon hopefully. Do you want me to post them here, or send them to you direct?
Post them here would be nice. Thanks
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treskillard;
You mean his project has been done?
I"m not at all sure what I mean. When I posted I had been without sleep for about 32 hours and jet lagging in extremis. Sorry if I came across as abrupt or even rude.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:54 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

This one was taken a couple of hours ago on my way into Saumur to pick up my daughter from collège.

Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I"m not at all sure what I mean. When I posted I had been without sleep for about 32 hours and jet lagging in extremis. Sorry if I came across as abrupt or even rude.
You - rude and grumpy - never
Go on then - don't keep us all in suspense - where have you been?
Hope it was somewhere nice
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:34 pm
down under where

Originally Posted by Le Chant
[CENTER]This one was taken a couple of hours ago on my way into Saumur to pick up my daughter from collège.
Nice that - thanks Looks like it was saved, or a bit of it by being covered up with a later advertising board do you think?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Something like this do you mean??
Attached Thumbnails those old painted advertisements-wall.jpg  
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:44 pm

Now that's art of a different sort. Not advertising, but still well done, even if it's a tad frightening. I've worked often in Belfast and surrounding areas and those murals are stunning pieces of art, but deadly serious in content.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:45 pm
down under where

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Well they do seem to be wearing berets.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:47 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

That brought back memories
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:50 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher
That brought back memories
I think they are so beautiful, even with the political message behind them they are so unique.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.