Thin isolation

Old Sep 3rd 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thin isolation

Hello peeps

I was wondering if anybody had any experience of thin insulation - the roll of multilayer insulation sandwiched between foil.

I've asked at the building merchants but these people are so full of crap telling me that it's some kind of NASA technology that in the end I just switch off.
I have also asked people I know in the trade who install it who say its good, but I get the idea that they are wanting me to ask them for a quote.

I'd really like some feedback by someone who actually has it at home.....

Thanks
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 7:58 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thin isolation

Originally Posted by le plumber
Hello peeps

I was wondering if anybody had any experience of thin insulation - the roll of multilayer insulation sandwiched between foil.

I've asked at the building merchants but these people are so full of crap telling me that it's some kind of NASA technology that in the end I just switch off.
I have also asked people I know in the trade who install it who say its good, but I get the idea that they are wanting me to ask them for a quote.

I'd really like some feedback by someone who actually has it at home.....

Thanks
I have found if it is used in conjunction with normal insulation then it,s pretty good. Dont use it somewhere screws could be going through it later because they get tangled up in the thin foam layers and then cant dig in to the wood or metal. I personally prefer good old fashion insulation 20/30 cm because the new stuff has zero sound absorption properties. If I had all the tiles off the roof then I would use it in place of felt on top of marine ply, But I would still use the old stuff as well between the rafters. The way I see it is you cant have too much insulation
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
The way I see it is you cant have too much insulation
Thats what I always say

I feel pretty much the same way as yourself, and I can't seem to find anybody who has used only this stuff without using traditional methods on top.
I'm in the process of buying a house that I will renovate - the renovation has already started, and they have already put up the placo and 160mm of GR32. To meet todays regs it should really be 360 (200 + 160) in a criss cross fashion, or at the very least, 200mm traditionally laid between the rafters. So I either take down all the placo and start again :thumb down: or take off the tiles on the roof and lay down this thin stuff that Nasa is supposed to have brought to us
Old Sep 5th 2011, 7:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what I always say

I feel pretty much the same way as yourself, and I can't seem to find anybody who has used only this stuff without using traditional methods on top.
I'm in the process of buying a house that I will renovate - the renovation has already started, and they have already put up the placo and 160mm of GR32. To meet todays regs it should really be 360 (200 + 160) in a criss cross fashion, or at the very least, 200mm traditionally laid between the rafters. So I either take down all the placo and start again :thumb down: or take off the tiles on the roof and lay down this thin stuff that Nasa is supposed to have brought to us
I'm pretty sure that val50's OH used the mylar stuff in their attic in Carentan. She doesn't post very often on here anymore, but I know she pops in to check PM quite regularly.

You could send her a PM and she could ask her OH exactly what he did. I know she told me that it made a big difference to her heating bills.

Cheers.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 8:17 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats what I always say

I would have the tiles off it its the traditional tiles they can be removed with ease, Depending on how well the placo was fitted if it`s a poor job then rip that out.