Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Telephone and motorists!

Telephone and motorists!

Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Telephone and motorists!

Here's something I didn't know until yesterday.
One can now be penalized (fine of 135€, plus loss of 3 points on driving licence) by taking a call on a mobile phone in the car EVEN if one has pulled into the side of the road and shut off the car's engine.

This measure - which has apparently been under discussion for over a year - has apparently been added to the Highway Code which stated that "the use of a telephone held in hand by the driver of a vehicle in circulation is prohibited".
To make a call, phone in hand, the car needs to be on a planned parking location.
One exception to this decision is that a disabled motorist can use his phone, even if stopped on a 'taxiway.'
This was officially announced on tv today. Strangely enough however I can see no mention yet of this new decision on either the Securite Routier or LegiFrance/Code de la Route sites.

To enforce road security, the government have also announced this year that motorists will have their license suspended for a temporary period if they are spotted telephoning at the wheel whilst committing another offense such as forgetting flashing indicators when changing direction etc.

Still on the subject of accident prevention, in addition to a safety helmet I'm sure that any of you who use (or have children who use) 2 wheel transport >50cm3 should already know that it is an offence not to be wearing a certified pair of gloves whilst driving. This also applies to the passenger, and I believe came in late 2016, non-compliance of which is sactioned by a fine of 68€ and one point loss.
Amazing when one thinks there are many, many thousands of multi-recurrence (often up to 15 times) 'petits' délits/ offenders in France who do not even risk a slap on the wrist.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephone and motorists!

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
.... Still on the subject of accident prevention, in addition to a safety helmet I'm sure that any of you who use (or have children who use) 2 wheel transport >50cm3 should already know that it is an offence not to be wearing a certified pair of gloves whilst driving. This also applies to the passenger, ....
"Driving"? Are you still talking about 2 wheels?

Driving = "inside the vehicle", or at least surrounded by it, if you're sitting on a saddle, then that would be "riding". Right?

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 4th 2018 at 3:41 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Driving"? Are you still talking about 2 wheels?

Driving = "inside the vehicle", or at least surrounded by it, if you're sitting on a saddle, then that would be "riding". Right?
Apologies, that should have read riding of course.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 4:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Apologies, that should have read riding of course.
I think you were right the first time Tweedie. You don't get a riding license to legally drive a motorbike, you get a driving license. The passenger (if any) is riding pillion and doesn't need a license (just suitable gloves, apparently, and a helmet).

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 5th 2018 at 4:52 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 5:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think you were right the first time Tweedie. You don't get a riding license to legally drive a motorbike, you get a driving license. The passenger (if any) is riding pillion and doesn't need a license (just suitable gloves, apparently, and a helmet).
You can't insert "driving licence" into the sentence I asked about, and make any sense of it. The sentence concerns the activity, not the permit to be allowed to do it on a public road.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 7:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can't insert "driving licence" into the sentence I asked about, and make any sense of it. The sentence concerns the activity, not the permit to be allowed to do it on a public road.
You, my friend, have issues.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks TP, I did not know that.