Tax Fonciere

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 9:55 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Fonciere

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Yes, the tax office doesn't pro rata the bill.

What dmu was saying that often when a property changes hands mid year, which inevitably most do, the buyer and seller usually agree to share the tax foncière for that year pro rata. The notaire works out the monthly tax based on the most recent bill, and the buyer pays this to the seller at the time the sale goes through. So the seller has this money set aside (or spent, or whatever) and when the bill arrives, they pay the full amount but in fact the buyer has already chipped in.
If that's the case, on the final calculation the notaire will specify the TF contribution separate from the price paid for the property, because the TF contribution wouldn't be included in any capital gains tax calculations.
This is a custom not a legal requirement, it is agreed between buyer and seller. Some buyers will refuse to chip in and you can't make them.
As usual I didn't express myself well. The Notaire "reimbursed" me for the T.F. separately, and, since I was still owner (or at least usufruitière) on 1st January 2021, the T.F. bill next year will be sent to me and I'll pay it all. I was expecting to be "reimbursed" 50% of the expected bill (corresponding to the six months of ownership), but the Notaire transferred about 90%. I'm not complaining, just wondering....
Old Oct 3rd 2021, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

jack_russell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Fonciere

Send the proof that you sold the property to the tax office and they should sort it out.