Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Best way to receive British television

Best way to receive British television

Old Oct 3rd 2021, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Dancy61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Best way to receive British television

Hi we need a 'box' of some sort to relay british tv. in France. My Firestick is toooo slow and the internet speed is toooo slow, Can anyone advise a solution, hopefully an easy one Thanks

Last edited by Dancy61; Oct 3rd 2021 at 4:21 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2021, 3:37 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to receive British television

Originally Posted by Dancy61 View Post
Hi we need a 'box' of some sort to relay british tv. My Firestick is toooo slow and the internet speed is toooo slow, Can anyone advise a solution, hopefully an easy one Thanks
It would be helpful, even very helpful, if we knew what country you are trying to get UK TV in?
Old Oct 3rd 2021, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Dancy61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah! France
Old Oct 3rd 2021, 5:49 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Best solution for me, though maybe not an easy solution to everyone, is the following combination
Sonarr ( to organize TV shows)
Sabnzbd+ (to get TV shows)
Plex (to watch TV shows)
I tell a web interface what shows I want, and by magic, they appear on my TV.

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 3rd 2021 at 5:52 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2021, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody NEEDS British TV.... do they?
Old Oct 4th 2021, 7:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash View Post
Nobody NEEDS British TV.... do they?
Must admit I really missed my favourite programmes when I first arrived, but after a weaning period of a few years (the fact of not having a TV helped), I've since been hooked on a couple of French soaps on the public channels and have to catch up with Replays when I go away....
@Dancy61 - if you opt for French Satellite, you'll get Sky News (with important events in the UK shown live) and a big selection of films in V.O. with the Cinema Option. If you're going to live in France forever more, French TV is one way of learning the language (with sub-titles for the hard-of-hearing, to help), and even integrating into French life, by being able to join in chat about the News or last night's programme with work mates, neighbours, new acquaintances, etc....
Old Oct 4th 2021, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
Must admit I really missed my favourite programmes when I first arrived, but after a weaning period of a few years (the fact of not having a TV helped), I've since been hooked on a couple of French soaps on the public channels and have to catch up with Replays when I go away....
@Dancy61 - if you opt for French Satellite, you'll get Sky News (with important events in the UK shown live) and a big selection of films in V.O. with the Cinema Option. If you're going to live in France forever more, French TV is one way of learning the language (with sub-titles for the hard-of-hearing, to help), and even integrating into French life, by being able to join in chat about the News or last night's programme with work mates, neighbours, new acquaintances, etc....
Not just French satellite tv but also French tv on the internet.
Our telephone; broadband and TV all come down the same line.
If you want to watch an English language film or TV series then (depending on the channel) you can change the language to the original English version..
If you turn on French subtitles then you get to see the French language equivalent which can help with vocabulary and grammar
French language programmes with French subtitles also help to improve language skills.
HTH
Old Oct 4th 2021, 3:45 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian View Post
Not just French satellite tv but also French tv on the internet.
Our telephone; broadband and TV all come down the same line.
If you want to watch an English language film or TV series then (depending on the channel) you can change the language to the original English version..
If you turn on French subtitles then you get to see the French language equivalent which can help with vocabulary and grammar
French language programmes with French subtitles also help to improve language skills.
HTH
If you have Canal+ the same applies and they have HBO stuff.

But if the OP happens to be in Orne if that’s what the 61 in the username is all about then satellite is the best option off the shelf dish from brico crapo and either a free sat box or something like a Vu plus receiver. Job done.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Oct 4th 2021 at 3:49 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2021, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Am I being thick here. If just UK TV is wanted in Orne a simple 60cm dish and a digital receiver pointed at 28 degrees East will get you full UK Freesat plus much more than normal Freeview. You could get an older Skybox and new dish on Ebay cheap.