Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Survival in Paris - any ideas?

Survival in Paris - any ideas?

Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all
Default Re: Survival in Paris - any ideas?

Talking about teaching - my brother-in-law lost his IT job in Paris yonks ago, and did a course to teach English as a foreign language (EFL). He gets loads of work - more than he can handle. And it is teaching adults of course, all wanting to be there, not forced to be there like schoolkids.

Trouble is, most course, such as the Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA)course cost a bit, and this one involves one month of VERY intensive study. Here's a link:

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/t...rds/celta.html

You need to have good English skills of course, but you don't have to have an existing degree, though it does help.

Another job is translating - the work is done online, and is great if you are bilingual: you just have to find an agency and prove you can do it. Translators always translate from the foreign language into their own mother tongue.
Old May 5th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this thread has shot my dreams down. I'm english, currently live in NYC, but was thinking that Paris is somewhere that I would love to live someday. I was thinking about enrolling on a French course at the French Institute over here with a view to possibly looking for work in a couple of years providing I could get my French skills to a reasonable standard….so I guess that's unlikely? Is finding work in Paris really that hard?
Old May 5th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
Wow, this thread has shot my dreams down. I'm english, currently live in NYC, but was thinking that Paris is somewhere that I would love to live someday. I was thinking about enrolling on a French course at the French Institute over here with a view to possibly looking for work in a couple of years providing I could get my French skills to a reasonable standard….so I guess that's unlikely? Is finding work in Paris really that hard?
The employment situation isn't great here, but it shouldn't let it put you off, there's certainly jobs to be had, especially if you have the qualifications. Speaking the language is a must though, unless you want to be a cleaner or work behind the bar of an Englsh themed pub. You'd probably be best to approach an agency, as it would be in their interest to find you work.
Old May 7th 2008, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Hey CFM,

good to hear you are back and doing well fro yourself. Its always good to have a level playing field to view life from and you certainly balance those scales.
i thought you were of to Oz or New Zealand though not the UK. Anyway enjoy.