Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

surveyor for buying house

surveyor for buying house

Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:17 am
Just Joined

barbel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default surveyor for buying house

I am considering buying a house in France. The house is built into a steep bank. If I was considering such a house in England, I’d certainly pay for a survey to be carried out, to include the specific question: will there be a problem after heavy rain, with water run-off. In other words, could the garden or house get flooded. This has nothing to do with risks of flood plains and river levels (it’s high up on a hill), but just concerns the immediate topology of the house and its garden (and the neighbouring gardens).
The kind of survey I want would give me professional advice about the risks or otherwise, from someone I could sue if the advice turned out to be wrong.
In England I can just look up “surveyors” in the Yellow Pages. But does such a profession or service exist in France?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:44 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: surveyor for buying house

Originally Posted by barbel
I am considering buying a house in France. The house is built into a steep bank. If I was considering such a house in England, I’d certainly pay for a survey to be carried out, to include the specific question: will there be a problem after heavy rain, with water run-off. In other words, could the garden or house get flooded. This has nothing to do with risks of flood plains and river levels (it’s high up on a hill), but just concerns the immediate topology of the house and its garden (and the neighbouring gardens).
The kind of survey I want would give me professional advice about the risks or otherwise, from someone I could sue if the advice turned out to be wrong.
In England I can just look up “surveyors” in the Yellow Pages. But does such a profession or service exist in France?
They can be found but you normally only find them dealing with commercial sites in France, I believe what you are looking for is something like "Métreurs" which would probably be a quantity surveyor or a "Géomètre" is a land surveyor. A Building surveyor has my dictionary stumped. I would suggest asking at a architectes office. Odds are "Not having seen it" but if it's built in to a bank then there could be some water penetration. Sensible landscaping and adequate rain water drain off are going to be the main factor. Look for evidence of damp, People that have damp issues in France have little bucket thingys that have tablets in them to absorb moisture in the air.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

In our experience surveyors are basically unheard of in France for property!
Our French neighbours say that in their opinion if a house is still standing after 10 years then it should be ok!!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:27 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
In our experience surveyors are basically unheard of in France for property!
Our French neighbours say that in their opinion if a house is still standing after 10 years then it should be ok!!
Considering how regularly folk sue someone around here I would never work as a surveyor in France, It only works for Géomètre's because their word is pretty much final in conjunction with a judge. They deal with boundary and right of way disputes a lot. Overall I think common sense is the best house surveyor, Dont get sunk by a over ambitious dreams.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Feb 14th 2011 at 5:31 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I urge caution (as you seem to be doing). I had a look at two houses much like you describe, not realising they were in this sort of situation. Both suffered damp / humidity issues. One had in fact developed a serious fungal infection that kept reappearing - the sort that can destroy a house. The agent tried to downplay it, but had to ultimately confess to the seriousness of its nature when we pressed her.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

we avoid houses on the base of a slope like the plague, after owning one in the uk. It was permanently damp and cold!