Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French tax change

French tax change

Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default French tax change

There is an article in a UK sunday paper stating that the loi de finance 2011 which took effect on January 1st could effect the "tax-free" lump sum when a resident in France takes their private pension.
This only effects lumpsums in excess of 6000 euros.
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...icle546308.ece
I have tried to comply with the site rules - hope I have got it right.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Re: French tax change

Couldn't find the article on the Times site with the link but more concise and authoritative sources here:

http://www.kpmg.com/US/en/IssuesAndI...1-005a-jan.pdf

http://www.french-property.com/news/...sion_lump_sums
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Couldn't find the article on the Times site with the link but more concise and authoritative sources here:

http://www.kpmg.com/US/en/IssuesAndI...1-005a-jan.pdf

http://www.french-property.com/news/...sion_lump_sums
Sorry the link didnt work & thanks for the new links.
If you couldn't find the first link how do you know that the others are more concise???
Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

More as in addition to not better than, my poor choice of wording
Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Your link just seems to go to The Times front page and I just gave up searching for the article because of the incessant and irritating demands for £1 of my money to continue

First time I've ever been there since it went to a subscription model and it will be the last, plenty of other places to get the news.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

My understanding is that this tax charge will apply to all pensions except Government and local Government pension at this time. This may change in the future.
This means that anyone with a company pension who pays tax in France would be taxed on their "tax free" lump sum.

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Your link just seems to go to The Times front page and I just gave up searching for the article because of the incessant and irritating demands for £1 of my money to continue

First time I've ever been there since it went to a subscription model and it will be the last, plenty of other places to get the news.
I found the same. The page had changed since I posted the link.
Yes very irritating demands for money.
The article was v similar to Living France but I found it in the S. Times.

Thanks for fixing that for me.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

I suppose you could transfer it all to a NZ QROPS which allows you to take it immediately as 100% cash, then smuggle it into France and stuff it under your mattress
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:51 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

As I've had my lump sum, I'm assuming no backdating. There's also a tale that involves capital gains changes, but have no details.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cjm
As I've had my lump sum, I'm assuming no backdating. There's also a tale that involves capital gains changes, but have no details.
Correct - no back-dating.
The articles suggested taking the lump sum before moving to France if possible.
There are other changes in the UK for private pensions (not final salary)starting in April removing the requirement to buy an annuity at 75. There will also be tax rate changes for the fund on death.
Not sure about any CGT changes.

Cyrian

Last edited by cyrian; Feb 15th 2011 at 6:03 pm. Reason: correction
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:27 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

I think these may be French tax changes.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK sorry.
If check the link from Im - and - er for KPMG they mentioned another french tax change.

Last edited by cyrian; Feb 15th 2011 at 6:34 pm. Reason: change
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:37 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Can't see a ref to French CTG though.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does this help?

http://impots.dispofi.fr/imposition-...ements-fiscaux
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:15 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Useful, but I have to translate it as my French not good enough. Will save the link though for future reference. I heard there was now a 15 year requirement to avoid CGT.