Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Student Moving to Paris... advice please!

Student Moving to Paris... advice please!

Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

GemmaLord is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Student Moving to Paris... advice please!

Hi there,

I'll shortly be moving to Paris to study for a year and am looking for somewhere to live. From the research I've done finding an apartment looks to be a bit of a minefield, and so I was hoping some of you might be able to give me some advice, or a checklist of what documents I might need to take with me and what documents I need to get from my mum (guarantor etc)...

I am subletting an apartment in August while I look for somewhere more permanent, I'm sharing with 2 others and so need an apartment with 3 bedrooms...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

thanks,

Gemma
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:28 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Moving to Paris... advice please!

Originally Posted by GemmaLord
Hi there,

I'll shortly be moving to Paris to study for a year and am looking for somewhere to live. From the research I've done finding an apartment looks to be a bit of a minefield, and so I was hoping some of you might be able to give me some advice, or a checklist of what documents I might need to take with me and what documents I need to get from my mum (guarantor etc)...

I am subletting an apartment in August while I look for somewhere more permanent, I'm sharing with 2 others and so need an apartment with 3 bedrooms...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

thanks,

Gemma
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
There was a thread about a year ago on the same subject. I don't know how to put a link for an earlier thread, but if you make a forum search (top right)for "Student movinf to Paris to flatshare", there's a list of documents needed and things to do for renting an appartment, in replies 2, 4 and 7.
All three of you will have to provide the same documents and I believe the Guarantors must be present when the lease is signed, as they must each copy a long document by hand. At least, this is what we did for our student daughters' various moves.
Don't hesitate to ask more questions, we'll do our best to help!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

GemmaLord is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks I'll take a look, I hope the guarantor doesn't have to be there as my mum won't be coming with me! Hopefully they'll make do with email/ speaking to her on the phone?? I guess it depends on who the landlord/ agency is...
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GemmaLord
Thanks I'll take a look, I hope the guarantor doesn't have to be there as my mum won't be coming with me! Hopefully they'll make do with email/ speaking to her on the phone?? I guess it depends on who the landlord/ agency is...
Hi, maybe by snailmail. She'll have to copy out a page or so of text on a form, by hand. But when constituting your "dossier", you'll still need to take copies of HER birth certificate, marriage certificate, UK payslips, etc...
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi again,
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=guarantor
This is an experiment, trying to put the link!
P.S. It worked!