Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

special needs adult care

special needs adult care

Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:16 am
Just Joined

ANN49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default special needs adult care

Hi, I'm looking for information on the care/help available for our special needs son aged 22 years, we adopted him several years ago and if we remain here in the UK I know if anything happened to us he would be taken care of by social services, but we are very seriously considering moving to France, our main concern is that if anything happened to my husband and myself would there be any help like this in France or indeed would he be able to return to the UK?Has anyone else had to deal with this situation or have any knowledge of the facilities in France for special needs adults
Ann
He will never be able to live on his own

Last edited by ANN49; Oct 1st 2007 at 5:18 am. Reason: added a line
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:32 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: special needs adult care

Originally Posted by ANN49
Hi, I'm looking for information on the care/help available for our special needs son aged 22 years, we adopted him several years ago and if we remain here in the UK I know if anything happened to us he would be taken care of by social services, but we are very seriously considering moving to France, our main concern is that if anything happened to my husband and myself would there be any help like this in France or indeed would he be able to return to the UK?Has anyone else had to deal with this situation or have any knowledge of the facilities in France for special needs adults
Ann
Hi Ann,
You might send this one to the Consulate/Embassy? Pretty important question to put it mildly. You could also write in a letter to either the News or Connexion,both English Language monthly papers with very well informed editorial staff (do web search for addresses). Hope you get the answer you want. I'll ask around and if I come up with anything I'll get back to you another time. There is a special needs hostel centre near here so I may use this as an excuse to drop in.
T

T
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by treskillard
Hi Ann,
You might send this one to the Consulate/Embassy? Pretty important question to put it mildly. You could also write in a letter to either the News or Connexion,both English Language monthly papers with very well informed editorial staff (do web search for addresses). Hope you get the answer you want. I'll ask around and if I come up with anything I'll get back to you another time. There is a special needs hostel centre near here so I may use this as an excuse to drop in.
T

T
Treskillard, Yet again you take the time to offer some information, you are a STAR
Thankyou Ann
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANN49
Ann
Hi there
I think you will find that the care here in France would be very good, but what would worry me, would be how your son would communicate without getting very frustrated, especially if you or your husband weren't around to help. If you are still in UK I think the best people to advise you are
Dept of Work and Pensions, which cover health issues

Phone (0191) 2187547

website www.thepensionservice.gov.uk

E mail is [email protected]

or check
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/penr...ing_abroad.asp

they deal with the E forms for health cover and would be able to advise you,
especially regarding his right to return to UK. As I understand it, and I stand to be corrected, if you live outside UK for more than 3 years, then upon your return you are not automatically covered for health/social care.

hope this helps
Val
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by val50
Hi there
I think you will find that the care here in France would be very good, but what would worry me, would be how your son would communicate without getting very frustrated, especially if you or your husband weren't around to help. If you are still in UK I think the best people to advise you are
Dept of Work and Pensions, which cover health issues

Phone (0191) 2187547

website www.thepensionservice.gov.uk

E mail is [email protected]

or check
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/penr...ing_abroad.asp

they deal with the E forms for health cover and would be able to advise you,
especially regarding his right to return to UK. As I understand it, and I stand to be corrected, if you live outside UK for more than 3 years, then upon your return you are not automatically covered for health/social care.

hope this helps
Val
Hi Val, I will certainly take your advice, but as for John, our son,having a problem with communicating he can not speak anyway and does not do any signing but he has a great smile and always seems to make people even strangers know what he wants or needs (amazing)
Thanks Ann