Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Shooting at home

Shooting at home

Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shooting at home

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Reading that, I would define that as a proper range. My suggestion would be go join your local ball trap (Shot Gun range Clay) and get friendly. Our neighbours are very easy going, As long as I dont stand on the patio taking pot shots at things in the bushes. But here everyone shares a bit, A silly example was my oh went to the old folk down from us to ask where the best place to by chickens was, Now we get 12 eggs placed on our doorstep every week and when the weather is right a bag full of Cepes.
I don't quite read it this way, and believe that one can use a cat 5/7 arm on one's own property within the stated requirements....."it should be retained on a purely sporting basis, you will be able to shoot only in one private enclosed space preventing third parties or game to enter the “field of fire” and, with the agreement of the owner. Your projectiles will have to be collected in full safety without leaving the enclosure defined as field of fire."

I base this on the understanding that a cat 5/7 arm is not subject to 'Autorisation Préfectorale' (unlike a cat. 1 or 4 arm) - the latter of which can only be used on a proper range - this being stated in the following query/answer in one of the previous attached docs:-

Q: Est-ce que je peux tirer sur ma propriété privée avec mes armes soumises à autorisation?
A: NON!!!, le tir est autorisé uniquement dans l’enceinte d’un stand de tir agrée.

Docthebiker, you stated that you were shooting off a few rounds of BP(PN) at home doing powder load calculations. Unless I'm greatly mistaken, one would not be using this today for shotgun loads, rather for either a muzzle-loading pistol or rifle. Believe these are now cat 8 arms, also NOT subject to 'Autorisation Préfectorale'.
As stated in earlier post, I should get further clarification from the lads at the club this weekend.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Docthebiker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Reading that, I would define that as a proper range. My suggestion would be go join your local ball trap (Shot Gun range Clay) and get friendly. Our neighbours are very easy going, As long as I dont stand on the patio taking pot shots at things in the bushes. But here everyone shares a bit, A silly example was my oh went to the old folk down from us to ask where the best place to by chickens was, Now we get 12 eggs placed on our doorstep every week and when the weather is right a bag full of Cepes.
A proper range I would define as a licenced range, but there is no mention of licence just permission of the land owner.
I've started with ball trap, but the club I'm a member with in Arlay have stopped shooting until the spring.

A lot of clubs don't like PN because of the smoke (and smell) distracting other shooters, but I like it as it's more challenging then using cartridges.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Docthebiker, you stated that you were shooting off a few rounds of BP(PN) at home doing powder load calculations. Unless I'm greatly mistaken, one would not be using this today for shotgun loads, rather for either a muzzle-loading pistol or rifle. Believe these are now cat 8 arms, also NOT subject to 'Autorisation Préfectorale'.
As stated in earlier post, I should get further clarification from the lads at the club this weekend.
Cat 8 are 'historic' arms. These can even be breech loaders that use cartridges such as the Russian needle gun, the sharps 'trapdoor' or the famous Chassepot that pre-date the historic arms cut-off but still use PN in their cartridges.

Where some people do fall foul is thinking all PN is cat 8em when it is not.
An 1868 replica of a Remington revolver can be made of Stainless Steel and have carbon fibre grips, but (technically) isn't if it has the addition of adjustable sights.
I've no idea what category modern designs of PN rifles (with things like electronic ignition) fall under, though I've often seen them advertised for sale second hand as Cat 8em. They are not cat 8 unless the design pre-dates 1872/3)

I like these historic arms as they have real character and it presents a further challenge to get the best results from them.

Last edited by Docthebiker; Oct 1st 2009 at 10:51 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi Doc, a question for you:

I bought a Chassepot (cavalry carbine model) from an arms dealer in northern Yemen - in fact in the dusty city of Saada where the trouble is just now. The barrel was not plugged and I managed to get this antique, but usable, firearm home with me to Sweden. My question is do you know how I can tell whether this weapon is genuine? I'm not an active marksman (did enough in the army) but would just like to know how to tell a real one from a copy. Hope this is not off topic.
And good luck with the plummin' and the pluggin'
Blackie
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Not my personal "thing" but, looking around, this seems quite a good site giving details, variations, etc.
http://www.gunsworld.com/french/gras/cha_us.html
You may find someone who can give you a "real" answer..
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder

I bought a Chassepot (cavalry carbine model) from an arms dealer in northern Yemen - in fact in the dusty city of Saada where the trouble is just now. The barrel was not plugged and I managed to get this antique, but usable, firearm home with me to Sweden. My question is do you know how I can tell whether this weapon is genuine? I'm not an active marksman (did enough in the army) but would just like to know how to tell a real one from a copy. Hope this is not off topic.
Blackie
Don't know much about these, but in general I would start by looking for any proof markings on or near the barrel, as I wouldn't expect any cheap & cheerful copies to have any - although I could be wrong.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Docthebiker,
I was at the club today, and the general consensus was that you can shoot BP on your own property with all due care and attention.
Nobody could quote a min distance between two neighbouring properties, or min distance to public road.
Still pretty vague I agree, so if in doubt it may be worth while having a word at the Marie - who may even refer you back to the gendarmerie - in which case you'll be back to square one!
Incidently, whilst at the club, was asked if I was interested in BP shooting, which led to some basic tuition with a replica percussion pistol, loading/firing a dozen or so . Fascinating! Once I almost forgot the dose of semolina following the powder - very quirky! Could easily get hooked on this, and eventually kit myself out with the necessary equipment & 'ingredients'.
I note there's the annual BOURSE MILITARIA-ARMES in Toulouse this Sunday, which I'll probably check out and price-up some BP equipment. So your initial query and this thread has been useful.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blackladder

Blackie
I'm no expert on the Chassepot but know a couple of things. As far as I know they didn't make a carbine but a huge batch of original rifles were converted into carbines.
Take a look at the breech, these used paper cartridges (there's a guy makes them on Naturabuy). Some originals were converted for brass cartridges and sleeved 0.22.
I don't think any of the mass market manufacturers made a copy, and african artisans tend to stick with long Arabic muzzle loaders. They sell enough 'Nomads' without having to resort to faking something as complex as the chassepot.
Bear in mind 100's of 1000's went on the market almost straight after the Franco Prussian war as they were quickly superseded in the Arms Race leading up to WW1, so there are lots of genuine chassepots out there.

Loads were exported to the US and they are very knowledable on the forums over there, so might be worth an ask.