Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Loire Valley places to stay recommendation?!

Loire Valley places to stay recommendation?!

Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Loire Valley places to stay recommendation?!

Planning to take a trip up to the Loire Valley castles in Nov for a few nights and looking for a nice, clean, comfy place to stay which isn't going to break the bank or mean to much driving to castles and sites for 3-4 nights.

I'm not bothered about a gite and DH doesnt want a B&B so I guess that leaves us with hotels?!

Any suggestions? Just depressed myself on the Relais Chateaux website! LOL!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:40 pm
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice
Default Re: Loire Valley places to stay recommendation?!

Check out Saumur, with a great chateau. I know it very well. It's a beautiful riverside town, lots of restaurants and shops, and a good selection of hotels, and very well positioned for lots of the chateaux. Don't miss Chenonceau (think that's how it's spelt)
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

It might be worth contacting Stu (Le Chant)
he lives and works in Saumur
he's posted some stunning photo's on another thread on here

if you are looking for somewhere really different to stay, you might look at l'abbaye Fontevraud. We stayed there last year for a few nights and it was really good

http://www.hotelfp-fontevraud.com/
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:19 am
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

Originally Posted by val50
if you are looking for somewhere really different to stay, you might look at l'abbaye Fontevraud. We stayed there last year for a few nights and it was really good

Stu doesn't live or work in Saumur, as it happens, but agree absolutely about Fontevraud! Fantastic place
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:17 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LindyLoo500
Stu doesn't live or work in Saumur, as it happens, but agree absolutely about Fontevraud! Fantastic place
Stu is 15 mins North of Saumur and Ewood 20 South which is close enough for comfort, And being that we know them their advice on the area is pretty accurate.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Stu is 15 mins North of Saumur and Ewood 20 South which is close enough for comfort, And being that we know them their advice on the area is pretty accurate.
I do not disagree with your statement regarding Stuart and his knowledge of the area, and agree that he would be well placed regarding advice, and also, in fact, for accommodation. I posted what I believed would be a helpful suggestion to somebody, and corrected a statement made by another poster. That's all.

I have neither time nor inclination for a lengthy debate with you. However, for the sake of correctness, once again I beg to differ. Unless Stuart goes to Saumur by plane, at a distance (given by Autoroute) and knowing the distance personally as being something like 18 miles, you, too are incorrect.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:30 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not disagree with your statement regarding Stuart and his knowledge of the area, and agree that he would be well placed regarding advice, and also, in fact, for accommodation. I posted what I believed would be a helpful suggestion to somebody, and corrected a statement made by another poster. That's all.

I have neither time nor inclination for a lengthy debate with you. However, for the sake of correctness, once again I beg to differ. Unless Stuart goes to Saumur by plane, at a distance (given by Autoroute) and knowing the distance personally as being something like 18 miles, you, too are incorrect.
The poster you corrected, Happens to know Stu well. So does not need correcting. She also has a respected place in our forum.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
The poster you corrected, Happens to know Stu well. So does not need correcting. She also has a respected place in our forum.
This was not actually the issue. This issue was that it was an incorrcet statement
Old Sep 30th 2009, 11:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by beigey
Planning to take a trip up to the Loire Valley castles in Nov for a few nights and looking for a nice, clean, comfy place to stay which isn't going to break the bank or mean to much driving to castles and sites for 3-4 nights.

I'm not bothered about a gite and DH doesnt want a B&B so I guess that leaves us with hotels?!

Any suggestions? Just depressed myself on the Relais Chateaux website! LOL!
I just remembered a little hotel that we stayed at many years ago, which is well positioned for the Loire. Mind you, it's probably not as good a postition as Saumur

http://www.hotel-restaurant-loreedesbois-49.com/
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps your mistaking Stu for another "friend" Lindyloo500

Beigy, here is the link for the photo's le chant has taken of Saumur

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496742
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

he's posted some stunning photo's on another thread on here

edited: Le Chant lives and works NOT FAR FROM Saumur
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:32 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

I do the journey from our place just south of Mouliherne to Saumur in around 15 minutes. Sometimes it takes 20. My gps logs it at 22kms from our house. I don't have a jet, nor a high powered bike to dodge traffic with. I used to do the journey very regularly. Not so much now as daughter has her own taxi service called 'boyfriend'.

Thanks for the link Val - very kind!

Beigey, if you do want any help/advice on what to see in the Saumur area of the Loire, drop me a line and I'll help best I can.

Hotels - Best Western Adagio in Saumur is reasonably priced, and good. There's a Campanile just on the northern outskirts of town. Hotel Anne d'Anjou gets good reports too. One of our favourites is the Hotel Bussy at Montsoreau. We've never stayed there (just used the loos, when eating) but it looks great. Lots of charm and character. Very, very old. One of our favourite villages too. Interesting troglodyte dwellings all over.

Chateaux - Chenonceau (chateau) and Chenonceaux (ville) are both worth visiting. Chambord also, as are Azay le Rideau, Angers, Montgeoffroy, Gizeux, Montsoreau, Luynes and countless others. If you're after a wine tour, let me know also as we have good friends who're in the trade and are able to offer 'private' tours & tastings of their domaine.

If you'd like a photographic itinerary, let me know and I'll describe how to find some of those 'off the beaten track' places that lots of tourists miss, not knowing that they're there!

HTH.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all!!
L'abbaye Fontevraud looks amazing and incredibly good value! Only thing is that Google maps saids its about 1.45 mins drive to Chambourd?
We ideally want to stay in the midst of the castles so around Blois.
The trip is really all about the castles ... I have always wanted to go since I was a little girl.
Food and wine is not on top of the agenda as I am pregnant which means all the good stuff is out the window for a while - poor DH!
Thanks again!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:21 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=val50;7978224]
apologies again to OP that this thread has gone off topic - it could have been quite a useful one if allowed to run it's course.

PS: MIGHT BE NICE IF YOU ARE HAVING A GO AT SOMEONE TO GET THEIR USER NAME RIGHT!
Actually, if you check back, it wasn't me that took it off topic. I posted useful and factual information, based on personal knowledge. As regards to having a go at somebody, once again, check back. It usually takes two.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

[quote=LindyLoo500;7978246]

Actually, if you check back, it wasn't me that took it off topic. I posted useful and factual information, based on personal knowledge. As regards to having a go at somebody, once again, check back. It usually takes two.

Sorry, I checked back and all I could see you did was nit pick about how close someone lives to a town centre.
And totally disagree about it taking two - it only needs one person to stir up trouble

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.