Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Loire Valley places to stay recommendation?!

Loire Valley places to stay recommendation?!

Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:24 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Loire Valley places to stay recommendation?!

Originally Posted by LindyPoo500

Actually, if you check back, it wasn't me that took it off topic. I posted useful and factual information, based on personal knowledge. As regards to having a go at somebody, once again, check back. It usually takes two.
Well while we are nit picking, Sort out the Quote tags
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:32 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beigey
Thanks all!!
L'abbaye Fontevraud looks amazing and incredibly good value! Only thing is that Google maps saids its about 1.45 mins drive to Chambourd?
We ideally want to stay in the midst of the castles so around Blois.
The trip is really all about the castles ... I have always wanted to go since I was a little girl.
Food and wine is not on top of the agenda as I am pregnant which means all the good stuff is out the window for a while - poor DH!
Thanks again!
Lured back to this thread by all the bloody e-mails saying there was a fire!

The abbaye at Fontevraud is stunning Beigey, and the resting place of Richard, coeur de Lion, Henri II, Aeilinor of Aquitaine and one other who's name escapes me. Possibly Richard's sister? It's one of the most peaceful places we've visited (apart from our gardens on a late autumn day) and is simply beautiful. There's a nice little tea shop in the village right opposite the gates that does a great fouée menu. You HAVE to try fouée when in our area!

Enjoy la Loire - it's gorgeous!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:32 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Well while we are nit picking, Sort out the Quote tags
PMSL! Cleri'll be along soon to assist in that dept!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point

I am trying to see if I can work the trip around at least a night in Fontevraud!!
Fouée looks yummy!!

Anyone else got some suggestions on where to stay nearer Blois??? Or should I start a new thread?
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:52 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beigey
I am trying to see if I can work the trip around at least a night in Fontevraud!!
Fouée looks yummy!!

Anyone else got some suggestions on where to stay nearer Blois??? Or should I start a new thread?
No need for a new thread. As its your thread anyroad, Sorry Like for the intermisson
Old Oct 1st 2009, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

We live about 5km from Chenonceau, so I suggest you look at Montrichard which is closeby, it is a lovely medieval town/village - it has its own castle too. When we first came over we stayed at the Bellevue hotel, I'm no expert on hotels but is is nice enough and has lovely views over the river Cher. I'm not good on links and stuff, but if you google Montrichard & hotels it may be the only one you come up with! It is about 40 minutes south of Blois. It is mentioned in the film Catch Me If You Can.

Also close to Chaumont, famed for its gardens, about 15-20 mins away. And Amboise, which also has a chateau and I can recommend Clos Lucé, the last home of Leonardo Da Vinci (I am ashamed to say the only place I have visited do far, but it is well worth a visit)

We had relatives over recently who visited Villandry and raved about it, that too is just minutes away.
Heck, I'm worried now that someone will butt in and correct me on my geography

Hope this is some help, I really must make more effort to go visit these places which are practically on my doorstep

Sue
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
Hi

We live about 5km from Chenonceau, so I suggest you look at Montrichard which is closeby, it is a lovely medieval town/village - it has its own castle too. When we first came over we stayed at the Bellevue hotel, I'm no expert on hotels but is is nice enough and has lovely views over the river Cher. I'm not good on links and stuff, but if you google Montrichard & hotels it may be the only one you come up with! It is about 40 minutes south of Blois. It is mentioned in the film Catch Me If You Can.

Also close to Chaumont, famed for its gardens, about 15-20 mins away. And Amboise, which also has a chateau and I can recommend Clos Lucé, the last home of Leonardo Da Vinci (I am ashamed to say the only place I have visited do far, but it is well worth a visit)

We had relatives over recently who visited Villandry and raved about it, that too is just minutes away.
Heck, I'm worried now that someone will butt in and correct me on my geography

Hope this is some help, I really must make more effort to go visit these places which are practically on my doorstep

Sue
Yes... Montrichard is a lovely town. There's a beautiful riverside hotel in nearby St Aignan, too - The Grand (which isn't how much the rooms cost per night! Between 40 and 70 Euros a night, I think).

http://www.grand-hotel-saint-aignan.com/en/

St Aignan is also a lovely medieval town and a nice place to stay.

Last edited by MartianTom; Oct 4th 2009 at 9:44 pm.