Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

September break

September break

Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default September break

I'm after recommendations for a long weekend break. First break without children for 10 years.

We like galleries, architecture, alchohol general sight seeing

Never been to Paris but not sure how relaxing that would be. I would love to go though.

We were thinking of San Sebastian just over the border, that's kind of top of the list.

Just wondered if anyone had any other ideas. Places, hotels, restaurants.

Quite fancy the Cote D'azur/Provence. My French prof says Bourgogne is quite cultural.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: September break

Hi
You may think that September will be quieter but that is when the coach parties and cruises arrive.
We did a Rhone river cruise from Avignon to Dijon last September and although we had previously visited most places, it was good to see everything from the river.
PACA is nice in September and there is lots to do around Nice and Monaco include the Rothschild mansion.
We have also visited the area from Carcassonne to Collioure and towards Spain.
In Bourgogne, you have the Hospice de Beaune and the museum in Dijon.
About 10 years ago, we spend a week in Paris and would be happy to repeat the visit. There is always lots to do and see in Paris.
Another town with lots to see is Lyon.
Good luck with your choice.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

We only chose September as it's our anniversary

Thanks for those tips. I'll look into those
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

La Rochelle is great for a weekend break - lots of lovely seafood restaurants and culture.

If you want to go a little further I would recommend Budapest - its one of my favourites.

Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:43 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Loy Loy we 'did' Paris last year, as I knew it would be my last chance for some while. We did it in August at the advice of some French friends as they said that there were always good bargains on hotels in Paris in August...they were right. We had one of the most magical times, and I thought I knew Paris reasonably well, but it was great to have the time to meander and enjoy it...the 'beaches' on the Seine embankment, the green spaces...and maybe I'd been in France too long, because all of the waiters were nice! It is a truly wonderful city and it was a complete bargain, the transport system works, the galleries are so varied there is something for everyone and what can one say negative about the food

Have a great time wherever you go, it's difficult to go somewhere for a visit in France and not have a good time! Congratulations on your anniversary.

p.s. one of my sadnesses is that I left France without having visited Toulouse or Lyon
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:43 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capricorn2013
La Rochelle is great for a weekend break - lots of lovely seafood restaurants and culture.

+ 1
Old Mar 14th 2014, 12:25 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

We live not for from Lyon and recommend a short break there. Do your research before hand though. The old town and cathedral is lovely. Maybe see if the ampitheatre is showing any live music events, which has a great at atmopshere. It has excellent transport links too and feom Lyon airport too.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 1:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capricorn2013

If you want to go a little further I would recommend Budapest - its one of my favourites.

+1. I love La Rochelle. I could recommend a hotel called "Les Brises", on the seafront and an easy (15 minute) stroll through parkland to the seafood restaurants on the old harbour.

As to Budapest, my wife has been there, but I haven't. How about Athens if you're looking farther afield? September (end of) would be a great time to visit.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again everyone. We are ideally looking to drive so it's France or just over the border into Spain really. I will look into La Rochelle. We have been there but it was only a day trip while we were holidaying in the region.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Lots and lots of things to do in the Luberon area. Avignon is nearby where you will find masses of culture and history.

I would be happy to suggest hotels and restaurants in either.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:30 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loy loy
Thanks again everyone. We are ideally looking to drive so it's France or just over the border into Spain really. I will look into La Rochelle. We have been there but it was only a day trip while we were holidaying in the region.
Drive down to Barcelona lots of Dali stuff to see on the way and loads to do once you are in Barcelona
Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Drive down to Barcelona lots of Dali stuff to see on the way and loads to do once you are in Barcelona
That's kind of why we thought San Sebastian. Basque, culture.

Hotels seem very expensive though. Not been away for a while. Does 650e for 3 nights seem expensive? It does to me.