Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to France

Moving to France

Old Mar 14th 2014, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Abdn_Alliance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to France

Hello folks, I just found this forum, though I would sign up and ask for some advice!

My wife and I are looking to move from the north of Scotland to the south west of France, she is French, and we will be living in her home town.

She is currently pregnant, and we are taking advantage of her year’s maternity leave to have a trial period living in France.

I work on offshore of Aberdeen on an oil rig, I work for 2 weeks and have 3 weeks holiday. I have spoken to my work about this and I will continue to pay British tax/national insurance.

Ok so that’s our basic back ground....

Will I be ok just paying British taxes & national insurance, my work told me I could contact the HRMC about claiming tax back, shouldn’t I be paying anything in France? I have private healthcare through my work, but shouldn't I pay national insurance in France?

I will continue to get paid in pounds, what’s the best way to transfer large sums to euro’s? Any advice on French bank accounts? Or British ones that easily translate.

Thanks
Andrew
Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to France

Hiya

I assume your wife will be covered under the French health system as she is a national?
You will need top up medical for her and your new born. I have no idea how your private health care works and if it will be valid in France.

The tax one is tricky I would probably take advice.

Money transfer, I joined the bank in my village. I use a company in London to transfer the money as they get better rates. I ring them, get a deal, send them the money from my UK account in GBP, normal transfer. And it arrives in my French bank next day or so in Euro.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Abdn_Alliance is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I would have though she would have been covered, but I believe we will be using NHS worldwide, to refund the French system, she is dealing with that!

what company do you use in London? is it better to transfer large sums or monthly usable amounts?
Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

If you work in the UK and live in France, you should apply for a workers S1. This is the form you fill in http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca8454.pdf If you're deemed eligible, which from what you've said it sounds as if you would be, you will continue paying NICs to the UK, and the UK will fund healthcare for you and your dependents in France. When you arrive in France you take your S1 along to the CPAM office and they'll put you into the French healthcare system which will entitle you to around 70 per cent reimbursement of medical costs (it's not free at the point of delivery in France, as it is under the NHS).

You'll continue to be taxed in the UK if you are physically present in the UK when you do your job, but if you are resident in France you'll declare your worldwide household income to the French tax people each year. The dual taxation treaty will ensure that you aren't taxed twice over on the same income; the tax you've paid in the UK will be offset against the tax you would have paid in France, and since you'd probably have a higher tax allowance in France, you likely won't have any tax to pay on your salary. If you have other income, from investments etc, you declare that as well.