Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Automatic rental car hire in Perpignan?

Automatic rental car hire in Perpignan?

Old Mar 11th 2014, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

markek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Automatic rental car hire in Perpignan?

I posted recently asking for advice on where to explore (long summer / nr sea / green mountains ...) in advance of moving to S France.
Well we've booked flights now for trip in Easter hols, but am getting slightly concerned with there being no automatics showing up on the airport big co's.
In Spain last year a local hire company (found via google) was more helpful. CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A CAR HIRE CO. THAT HAS AUTOMATIC VEHICLES IN PERPIGNAN /A SHORTISH TAXI RIDE AWAY?

Thanks

(Yes I know I should have a manual licence; long story).
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:13 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Automatic rental car hire in Perpignan?

Originally Posted by markek
I posted recently asking for advice on where to explore (long summer / nr sea / green mountains ...) in advance of moving to S France.
Well we've booked flights now for trip in Easter hols, but am getting slightly concerned with there being no automatics showing up on the airport big co's.
In Spain last year a local hire company (found via google) was more helpful. CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A CAR HIRE CO. THAT HAS AUTOMATIC VEHICLES IN PERPIGNAN /A SHORTISH TAXI RIDE AWAY?

Thanks

(Yes I know I should have a manual licence; long story).
https://www.hertz.fr Boîte automatique/Transmission automatique absolutely no issue with a Automatic for any date I picked on their web page.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Mar 12th 2014 at 9:15 am.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Thx CS.
Just checked and yes they have an automatic 'fun collection' car at 2nd highest rate (over 500 EUR for 2 weeks). Also had a v bad experience with Hertz before - "sorry no car" - and would love to avoid. But thanks for effort.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Try here: http://www.automatic-car-hire.com
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Thx Im and Er but this company claims far more than it delivers. It offered only a few v expensive automatic cars (pricier than most well known firms) and lots of cheaper manuals.
But thx for trying to help.
I had a little look at Fr yellow pages; will try phoning a few firms from there.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

I think you'll struggle to find a cheap auto but I wish you good luck in the hunt.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had great problems with finding a small auto last year when house hunting.
Had 2 instances where I booked online and paid deposit only to be emailed 1 day later to say car not available.

In my experience car hire companies in France only seem to offer very expensive, large cc cars with auto option.

I ended up paying the b & b owner to collect me from airport and he kindly ferried me around local area to look at a couple of properties. The second time I went to France I took my own car from UK as the ferry worked out cheaper than hiring (Portsmouth to Caen).
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Gosh, that is surprisingly bad. A couple have shown up on the big firms, but are they really reliable? Doesnt seem so. I'm going to try out my very dodgy French and try a few smaller companies from yellow pages before booking with one of the staples.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

From CS's hertz link https://www.hertz.fr/rentacar/reservation/#vehicles you can have a automatic Peugeot 2008 or VW Golf for 397 euro for 2 weeks with 3250 km included. From the airport.

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

You've forgotten that it's required for Easter and then, depending on actual dates, the price is around €600.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 1:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
You've forgotten that it's required for Easter and then, depending on actual dates, the price is around €600.
Ah. Daft time to come then.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

School hols innit. Missing a day of school saves us a big chunk on air fares.
Re car hire, so far Enterprise has by far the biggest choice of automatic cars - at least 'virtually' on their website! Hope its not a false enticement strategy, to draw folks in, disappoint them on arrival, then trap them into upgrading to a big bucks Merc convertible!