Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

separatists/nationalists

separatists/nationalists

Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:39 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute
Default separatists/nationalists

Just wondering if any of you have come across any Occitan separatists in your time in France or should I say Colonial Power that tried to extinguish the memory of that once proud people...

The question is for real
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:05 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: separatists/nationalists

Originally Posted by treskillard
Just wondering if any of you have come across any Occitan separatists in your time in France or should I say Colonial Power that tried to extinguish the memory of that once proud people...

The question is for real
Haven't heard any whispers of such movements here in the Hérault, but they're certainly encouraging the language. Until fairly recently, only the elderly in the villages spoke Occitan, but the local Lycée has been offering an Occitan option in the Bac for some years now. The Vivre en Languedoc newspaper issued by the Région always has some pages in Occitan and even our local free paper has an article with translation into French.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Albanach has a spectacular aura aboutAlbanach has a spectacular aura aboutAlbanach has a spectacular aura about

Bonjour!

We were in holiday in Languedoc last year and met some Occitan separatists. We got chatting to a guy in Minerve whose wife and daughter both speak Occitan fluently.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 7:10 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albanach
Bonjour!

We were in holiday in Languedoc last year and met some Occitan separatists. We got chatting to a guy in Minerve whose wife and daughter both speak Occitan fluently.
Hi, Welcome to the forum. What made them into separatists? What did they say or do to show that?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Albanach has a spectacular aura aboutAlbanach has a spectacular aura aboutAlbanach has a spectacular aura about

Bonjour!

They think of themselves as Occitanian (is that the correct adjective?) rather than French. They feel a sense of resentment for their language and cultural distinctives having been oppressed by the French government etc... They have made a real effort to raise their daughter to speak Occitan as her first language.

After chatting to him, the guy gave us some stickers with the Occitan flag which had a slogan in Occitan which he said means, "We will blow things up"!! I wasn't sure if he was being 'tongue in cheek' on that one.

How strictly one can call them 'separatists' depends, I suppose. Whether they want a separate Occitan nation, I have no idea. They certainly want to be Occitanian within their homes and local communities though.

Albanach
Old Jun 15th 2008, 3:30 pm
down under where

Originally Posted by Albanach
Bonjour!

They think of themselves as Occitanian (is that the correct adjective?) rather than French. They feel a sense of resentment for their language and cultural distinctives having been oppressed by the French government etc... They have made a real effort to raise their daughter to speak Occitan as her first language.

After chatting to him, the guy gave us some stickers with the Occitan flag which had a slogan in Occitan which he said means, "We will blow things up"!! I wasn't sure if he was being 'tongue in cheek' on that one.

How strictly one can call them 'separatists' depends, I suppose. Whether they want a separate Occitan nation, I have no idea. They certainly want to be Occitanian within their homes and local communities though.

Albanach
Thanks for an interesting answer - much appreciated. Were they originally from the Languedoc as far as you recall? Sons and Daughters of the earth (i.e. paysans) or Bourgeois?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 5:26 pm
down under where

This is why I put the question up, well partly, seeing this made me wonder about who the separatists are, it's in English and Occitan but not French!

Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treskillard
This is why I put the question up, well partly, seeing this made me wonder about who the separatists are, it's in English and Occitan but not French!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OjjkAQE1A3Y
Whoa. Thanks for that tres. I think I got some learning to do.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

fripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nice

That video was quite interesting
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Salut Treskillard,

I think they were all from Languedoc. The man worked in a shop in Minerve though I have no idea whether they live in Minerve or nearby. It was interesting to meet them.

Albanach