Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Selling in France

Selling in France

Old Nov 18th 2013, 10:43 am
Just Joined

peterkine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling in France

We have sold our house in France, and are due to sign the Acte de Vente in December 3 days after our buyers sign their contract so sell their house. My query is that our buyers owners have asked to move in to our House (after we have moved out early with a pre contract contract) in the period between them selling their house and signing with us. We have been told this is not unusual but we have many reservations - Insurance - delay in the signing of the Acte de Vente etc. Has anybody heard of or experience of this situation?, and have any advice? Thanks
Old Nov 18th 2013, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling in France

Certainly it does happen, and usually there are no problems but occasionally there are.

I wouldn't be keen myself.

In this day and age of electronic transfers, couldn't your notaire arrange for both transactions to go through on the same day?

Otherwise, unless I had a lot of confidence in the buyers, I think I'd be hardline. I would say that I had everything arranged around the original signing date and it isn't convenient to change the dates at this stage and clear out my remaining possessions any earlier. The buyers will have to let the removals company look after their possessions for 3 days while they stay with friends or in a hotel for 3 nights. It won't kill them and if they've already signed the compromis they can't change their minds.

Friends of mine (English) had to stay in a hotel for two weeks AFTER they'd signed the Acte de Vente and paid over the money, because the (French) owners hadn't moved out! Eventually the estate agent had to more or less kick them out.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

peterkine is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your comments, I must admit I have been uneasy about doing this especially if something goes wrong at the last minute.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 2:54 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterkine
We have sold our house in France, and are due to sign the Acte de Vente in December 3 days after our buyers sign their contract so sell their house. My query is that our buyers owners have asked to move in to our House (after we have moved out early with a pre contract contract) in the period between them selling their house and signing with us. We have been told this is not unusual but we have many reservations - Insurance - delay in the signing of the Acte de Vente etc. Has anybody heard of or experience of this situation?, and have any advice? Thanks
We moved into two of our houses early, personally I don't see an issue with it.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
We moved into two of our houses early, personally I don't see an issue with it.
My fear would be same as the OP says, that the buyers would move in and their own sale would fall through or get delayed at the last minute. But I know people do it.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 4:09 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
My fear would be same as the OP says, that the buyers would move in and their own sale would fall through or get delayed at the last minute. But I know people do it.
Should the buyers rely on the sale of their house then there should be a clause in the Compromis on the new house "The Op's house" to cover this which would delay the purchase unless the seller wishes the sale to be nullified in the event of a non sale of the buyers house. It's surprising what clauses you can have added and it is where understanding the language is vital.

But ultimately all the OP needs is to get the buyers to sign a short term holiday let contract for the in-between period which as I see it gives them zero rights to remain in the property if their sale falls through.

But should you feel uncomfortable with something from the outset it pretty much answers the question imho.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Nov 18th 2013 at 4:13 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:57 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I did it, in August 2012. I was moving to Canada, and the French buyers knew it as did the Notaire and all of the town and village. I let them have the house two weeks early. I liked the buyers, I trusted them, and all went well. They had poked around my house and knew my tastes and sent me a big bottle of Guerlin perfume when I arrived...which I thought showed style.

I sold an earlier house a few years before and I wanted to wait at least a few weeks after the ink was signed on the agreement...I didn't feel confident even when the money was banked!

Go with your feelings, if they are trustworthy

Last edited by MillieF; Nov 19th 2013 at 1:58 am. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I did it, in August 2012. I was moving to Canada, and the French buyers knew it as did the Notaire and all of the town and village. I let them have the house two weeks early. I liked the buyers, I trusted them, and all went well. They had poked around my house and knew my tastes and sent me a big bottle of Guerlin perfume when I arrived...which I thought showed style.

I sold an earlier house a few years before and I wanted to wait at least a few weeks after the ink was signed on the agreement...I didn't feel confident even when the money was banked!

Go with your feelings, if they are trustworthy
With the greatest of respect Millie, Guerlin is only marginally acceptable.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:16 am
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
With the greatest of respect Millie, Guerlin is only marginally acceptable.
Couldn't agree more...but oddly enough it's the only brand that doesn't disappear without a sniff on me within a second, strange, but true
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Couldn't agree more...but oddly enough it's the only brand that doesn't disappear without a sniff on me within a second, strange, but true
I'll have to pop upstairs to see what I've been buying the OH for decades.

She writes it down for me and I just show the note to the duty free stall.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:24 am
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'll have to pop upstairs to see what I've been buying the OH for decades.

She writes it down for me and I just show the note to the duty free stall.
How well organised! My husband often gets up close and personal with (I suspect the loveliest) sales team member and I get whatever she's wearing!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Millie...
giss a whiff!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Millie...
giss a whiff!
If Millie looks or smells anything like THIS one, put me down for a whiff too!
Old Dec 4th 2013, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

elie bekaert is an unknown quantity at this point

<snipped>

How did you managed to sell your house ? Did you worked together with a immo office ?

thx

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 4th 2013 at 8:37 pm. Reason: Please read rule 9 about no ads on the open forums. You may place a BE classified & link that to your BE signature. Thanks