Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Adjectives - Order!

Adjectives - Order!

Old Dec 3rd 2013, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of
Default Adjectives - Order!

I've been Reading a wonderful English grammar book and came across the following definition of the positional order of adjectives in English:

'Opinion - size - age - shape - colour - origin - material - purpose - noun.

So you can have a sentence like:

'A Lovely Little old rectangular green French silver whittling knife', but fiddle with the Word order in the slightest and it becomes unEnglish.

I wonder if anyone on here who is married to or lives with a Francophone could ask them to translate the above sentence into French, just to see what order the adjectives arrive in!
Merci d'avance
Blackie
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:14 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adjectives - Order!

Originally Posted by Blackladder
I've been Reading a wonderful English grammar book and came across the following definition of the positional order of adjectives in English:

'A Lovely Little old rectangular green French silver whittling knife', but fiddle with the Word order in the slightest and it becomes unEnglish.

I wonder if anyone on here who is married to or lives with a Francophone could ask them to translate the above sentence into French, just to see what order the adjectives arrive in!
Merci d'avance
Blackie
WOW, let's have a go, but green and silver don't go together and I've altered colour and material.

"Un beau, vieux, petit couteau à tailler rectangulaire, argenté, en acier, d'origine française"
I'll check with OH when he comes in, but meanwhile, qui dit mieux?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

MrsK is an unknown quantity at this point

Merci d'avance
Blackie
this is fun...

Un ancien et joli petit couteau a tailler francais a manche vert et lamme rectangulaire et en argent ...?!

tough tough tough!!! ( and i am french!)
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Great answers both of you!
If you're interested, the book is called 'The Elements of Eloquence' by Mark Forsyth (12.99 RRP) and has some Lovely arcane Words in it (did you know what 'enallage' means?
Nor me
It is 'the deliberate use of a grammatical error'
Nice Little Christmas Stocking book!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:12 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
WOW, let's have a go, but green and silver don't go together and I've altered colour and material.

"Un beau, vieux, petit couteau à tailler rectangulaire, argenté, en acier, d'origine française"
I'll check with OH when he comes in, but meanwhile, qui dit mieux?
OH suggests (but doubting the sanity of the question)

"Un beau, petit couteau à tailler, ancien (or usé, but not vieux), à lame rectangulaire en acier, à manche argenté, et d'origine française"
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

... just to see what order the adjectives arrive in!
Merci d'avance
Blackie
Eh bien, M. Echelle noire...
Old Dec 4th 2013, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Novo,
T'as trop fumé la moquette?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Novo,
T'as trop fumé la moquette?
Nope. Hardwood floors, innit?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsK
Welcome to the forum!
As you will have noted, The Goon Show has nothing on us - and Tweedpipe will soon be along with an enticing poster to prove me right.

Novo howse the owlse?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 7:23 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

More difficult is not just knowing what is an adjective, but what kind.

At my English school I was taught: Subject, verb, noun, adjective and adverb, basically.

My 10 year old in Italy came to me with his homework and said "mummy what is this word" An adjective - I said. And he said "yes but what kind? Is it demonstrative, quantifying or qualifying or negative?"

I think Italian grammar is very intense and too detailed for such young ages. Other Italians argue with me that it sould be just so..... and then as adults they forget and never speak all the proper proper tenses.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

MrsK is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Dec 4th 2013, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

MrsK
Welcome to the forum!
As you will have noted, The Goon Show has nothing on us - and Tweedpipe will soon be along with an enticing poster to prove me right.

And talking about us goons. What time is it........?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tjHlFPTwVk
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

The title of this thread reminds me of a joke (with my apologies to Blackladder).
Nip across to Le Rendez-Vous site.......
Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:31 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
The title of this thread reminds me of a joke (with my apologies to Blackladder).
Nip across to Le Rendez-Vous site.......
Charmant.

And as to owles?
Old Dec 5th 2013, 7:27 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
My 10 year old in Italy came to me with his homework and said "mummy what is this word" An adjective - I said. And he said "yes but what kind? Is it demonstrative, quantifying or qualifying or negative?"
... and what about French "epithètes" and "attributs", adjectives respectively before and after the noun?
It's the same in French Grammar, and all Primary children are capable of grammatical analysis by the time they go up to Secondary school. Which is why it's so difficult for English children in particular, over 11, to go straight to French Collège - not only in all the general subjects, but also they're quite likely to get bad marks in English because they don't understand the French grammatical terms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.