Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

self build in france

self build in france

Old Nov 21st 2006, 9:55 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute
Default self build in france

hi all
i am wondering if any one can give me some advice. we have a plot of land in Brittany and have just had it divided in order to self build 2 houses on it. we then want to sell them in order to finance refurbishing an older house on the rest of the plot. we have seen a french architect and planning permission has been granted in principle depending on the plans we submit.
However a friend who lives in France and knows a friend.....etc....reckons that the houses have to be built by a french registered builder only, we told the architect that we were building them (OH in the trade and is taking several mates over) and he didn't say anything about French registered builders. However this may have been a misunderstanding on my part as my french is about enough to get by and i may have misunderstood him.
Any one out there how knows better?

Thanks
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all
Default Re: self build in france

We have built our own house all by ourselves and then completely renovated another one and we are not registered builders.

if the house is less than 170 m² you don't even need an architect to draw your plans.

You should know before you start though, that unless you take out the proper insurance, you will be responsible for the work carried out for 10 years. you need someone qualified and registered for a gas installation but not for the plumbing or the electricity but they will check that the electric has been done to the proper regulations before they give you any electricity.

Good luck with your plans
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:34 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by priscilia
We have built our own house all by ourselves and then completely renovated another one and we are not registered builders.

if the house is less than 170 m² you don't even need an architect to draw your plans.

You should know before you start though, that unless you take out the proper insurance, you will be responsible for the work carried out for 10 years. you need someone qualified and registered for a gas installation but not for the plumbing or the electricity but they will check that the electric has been done to the proper regulations before they give you any electricity.

thanks for your reply.
i will look into the insurance side.
kind regards
N x
Old Dec 13th 2006, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

neil morgan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Very helpful
We plant to build a 160m2 cottage near Limoges
Any extra help would be most gratefully received, particularly what sort of insurance where to get it and approximate cost
Happy Christmas
Neil
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by neil morgan
Thanks
Very helpful
We plant to build a 160m2 cottage near Limoges
Any extra help would be most gratefully received, particularly what sort of insurance where to get it and approximate cost
Happy Christmas
Neil
It's called "assurance decennale" but I don't know how much it cost we didn't get one
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

skiaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thewoodz
hi all
i am wondering if any one can give me some advice. we have a plot of land in Brittany and have just had it divided in order to self build 2 houses on it. we then want to sell them in order to finance refurbishing an older house on the rest of the plot. we have seen a french architect and planning permission has been granted in principle depending on the plans we submit.
However a friend who lives in France and knows a friend.....etc....reckons that the houses have to be built by a french registered builder only, we told the architect that we were building them (OH in the trade and is taking several mates over) and he didn't say anything about French registered builders. However this may have been a misunderstanding on my part as my french is about enough to get by and i may have misunderstood him.

Thanks
Unfortunately this is true if you wish to sell a property in France you will require a 10 year construction guarentee called a desenage which you can only get from a French builder:curse: I do believe that you can however circumnavigate this by selling to a Brit on a bought as seen option or by arranging your own desenage assurance but this is very costly approx 10% of total build price.

Adam
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:02 am
on the Goldie

Originally Posted by skiaway
Unfortunately this is true if you wish to sell a property in France you will require a 10 year construction guarentee called a desenage which you can only get from a French builder:curse: I do believe that you can however circumnavigate this by selling to a Brit on a bought as seen option or by arranging your own desenage assurance but this is very costly approx 10% of total build price.

Adam
thanks for that Adam - but at the mo' we have been waiting since Oct for the plans so as we have planning permission on the land - i think we are just going to sell the land for someone else who has more knowledge and keep the old building and do that up.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:49 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all

Thanks
One thing i know is that you can build you own house my mother and new husband have been doing this for a number of years. once all permissions granted you have two years to start work then you can take as long as you like.

However if you are building new houses to sell the tax man will be moving in for a while. dont expect to much profit this is why you dont see many property devolopers in france because the tax man hammers you if you sell before 8 years after completion.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:51 am
on the Goldie

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
One thing i know is that you can build you own house my mother and new husband have been doing this for a number of years. once all permissions granted you have two years to start work then you can take as long as you like.

However if you are building new houses to sell the tax man will be moving in for a while. dont expect to much profit this is why you dont see many property devolopers in france because the tax man hammers you if you sell before 8 years after completion.
oh - thanks for that! we knew that we would have to pay tax but didn't realise it was so "bad"
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:29 am

oh - thanks for that! we knew that we would have to pay tax but didn't realise it was so "bad"
Very bad for new builds i think its a bad as 30 percent if not more i will make some calls and let you know. have a nice notaire that selling a house for us.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 7:27 am
on the Goldie

Very bad for new builds i think its a bad as 30 percent if not more i will make some calls and let you know. have a nice notaire that selling a house for us.
thanks.

are you selling to get nearer to spain? or are u there now?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:33 am

thanks.

are you selling to get nearer to spain? or are u there now?
We are selling two house`s one in st lizier nr st girons and on about 15 km from there which is as close to spain as you can get but in france. were we live we are currently weighing up all the options as our 5 year old son is fluent in french and english as he has been in school for 2 and half years spain is were i would like to go but my wife is a little worried about changing his country again which is understandable and our daughter has just been born here so very little change for her.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

You will be charged 19.6% tax on your profit if you sell your house within 5 years of building. Make sure you keep all bills, invoices and receipts. It's best if you always ask for a proper invoice with all details of taxes paid no matter what you buy for your house.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:36 pm
on the Goldie

We are selling two house`s one in st lizier nr st girons and on about 15 km from there which is as close to spain as you can get but in france. were we live we are currently weighing up all the options as our 5 year old son is fluent in french and english as he has been in school for 2 and half years spain is were i would like to go but my wife is a little worried about changing his country again which is understandable and our daughter has just been born here so very little change for her.
i understand her concerns but he is still young and at the best age for picking up languages! he will be a great little multi linguist

You will be charged 19.6% tax on your profit if you sell your house within 5 years of building. Make sure you keep all bills, invoices and receipts. It's best if you always ask for a proper invoice with all details of taxes paid no matter what you buy for your house.
thank you for the advice, its something that we prob wouldn't have done, and yet it seems such a sensible thing to do.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

thank you for the advice, its something that we prob wouldn't have done, and yet it seems such a sensible thing to do.
you would need them to prove how much the house actually cost you, so that you only pay tax on the difference