Wikiposts

S.U.Z.

Old Apr 10th 2009, 11:42 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S.U.Z.

Think I would have buttered him up and hoped by crawling I avoided the fine.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 12:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by le plumber
Well said

By the way if you ever want to get on the nerves of the Police National just call them Police Municipale - I got stopped not long ago (seat belt.........again) and called a friend I was going to be late, and on the phone I kept making reference that I was with the Police Municipale, and the guy kept correcting me "police NATIONAL monsieur!!"
After my bollocking, he gave me my ticket and sarcastically wished me good day. I said thank you, and continued "by the way I think the Police MUNICIPALE do a sterling job!!!"
I can assure you it REALLY gets up their nose big time
Just as a matter of interest, how much is the fine for not putting your seat belt on? Do they take points off one's Driving licence, too, which they apparently do for talking on mobile phones when driving?
(You were lucky your cop kept his self-control - the next one might react differently to your provocation....)
Old Apr 11th 2009, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wellington,
This post was sent by someone who has left France recently for fear of this developing situation
To Thailand??? Not the safest place in the world either - and not improving!!
Phuket may seem idyllic but Thailand is simmering under the bland surface!!
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/index.php

I have quite a few contacts in Thai Airways from my professional days and I hear disturbing rumours..
especially concerning the Tamils..
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sear...keyword=phuket
and the "Red and Black Shirts".

Last edited by Roger O; Apr 11th 2009 at 4:52 am.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Just as a matter of interest, how much is the fine for not putting your seat belt on? Do they take points off one's Driving licence, too, which they apparently do for talking on mobile phones when driving?
(You were lucky your cop kept his self-control - the next one might react differently to your provocation....)
its 90€ and three points!!

I'm always winding them up. Last summer I was stopped by a motard (Police on a motorbike) - I wound down the window and said , with a straight face, "Bonjour p'tit Pédé!" (Hi ya gayboy). He looked at me in a funny way, took his helmet off and asked me to repeat myself so I replied, in a tone of voice you use when someone is hard of hearing, "Bonjour je peux vous aider" (hello can I help you).
Obviously in french the phrases sound (sort off) similar and I got away with it!! My aprentice was next to me and could hardly stop himself from laughing - much to the annoyance of Mr le Gendarme
Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:30 am
Just Joined

stargazerlily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by le plumber
Well said

By the way if you ever want to get on the nerves of the Police National just call them Police Municipale - I got stopped not long ago (seat belt.........again) and called a friend I was going to be late, and on the phone I kept making reference that I was with the Police Municipale, and the guy kept correcting me "police NATIONAL monsieur!!"
After my bollocking, he gave me my ticket and sarcastically wished me good day. I said thank you, and continued "by the way I think the Police MUNICIPALE do a sterling job!!!"
I can assure you it REALLY gets up their nose big time
I am playing the devil's advocat !
This thread I suppose could be taken as racist, but I am going to stick me neck out and say that I don't think Wellington intended it to be, but rather an observation , one from afar, granted.
I too have made many observations.
I have lived in various Muslim countries during my adult life and have always tried to be courteous and aware of how to behave within the laws of these places. "When in Rome ..etc" To be honest, I think these years were my happiest, mainly because I found that family and friendship was important within the Muslim communities, and religion never played a part in friendship.
However, I must admit, both in the UK and in France, there have been times when I have felt intimidated by the numbers of Muslim groups taking over various villages, communities, towns and areas of cities that I have travelled through and this is where I become rather concerned. It is not the elder Muslims, but rather the young impressionable ones.
Many years ago, I read that to become a Muslim, one must surrender to allah. Those who didn't were to be killed. I never believed this and thought it was rubbish. But suddenly , particularly with the escalation of terriorists, this is becoming true, Whilst living in Turkey, I made many Turkish friends, all Muslims and great fun. But there was one, who tried to blow my car up with myself and family inside, because he felt we were contaminating his country and religion. It was a sobering time, but did not and does not make me racist against the Muslims as a whole.
However, what does concern me is the number of young militant muslims within the European community. In the UK I can remember my father fighting in WW11 for the freedom of us all, and as a woman , the suffregate movement so that woaman, as I, could vote and finally be recognised as equal to our fellow men. It therefore upsets me to see woman covered head to toe, in robes designed to hide them from society, when I am sure they are lovely, pretty women. Why do they have to hide in shame ?? I am also concerned about the increasing number in the Muslim population. We as westerners are encouraged to only keep our family to the minimum - 2 point 2 children - In China, it is one. I cannot help but wonder whether in a few years time there will be more Muslims in the world than any other religion or indeed any other nationality. and that is a worry, Not because of the racist or relgious point, but because I can see Europe losing its identity of being French, or German or English or Danish. Will we also slowy see our democratic equal rights to being a comlpete European nation be eroded under sharia Law? And yes it is already creeping in. There are areas both in the UK and in France where the police do not wish to go. Individuals have no hope.
It is the young angry men, whom I worry about for they have no direction in becoming a national in the country they are brought up in. -one belief- "Surrender or die" becomes paramount in impressionable minds and in times of strive, as we are all witnessing, people turn to religion for comfort.
I am far from religious, rasict or moralist, - please do not brand me in any of these forms. It is just an observation. I would say the same if I were to witness a rise in christian cruisaders. I welcome feed back.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stargazerlily
I am playing the devil's advocat !
This thread I suppose could be taken as racist, but I am going to stick me neck out and say that I don't think Wellington intended it to be, but rather an observation , one from afar, granted.
I too have made many observations.
I have lived in various Muslim countries during my adult life and have always tried to be courteous and aware of how to behave within the laws of these places. "When in Rome ..etc" To be honest, I think these years were my happiest, mainly because I found that family and friendship was important within the Muslim communities, and religion never played a part in friendship.
However, I must admit, both in the UK and in France, there have been times when I have felt intimidated by the numbers of Muslim groups taking over various villages, communities, towns and areas of cities that I have travelled through and this is where I become rather concerned. It is not the elder Muslims, but rather the young impressionable ones.
Many years ago, I read that to become a Muslim, one must surrender to allah. Those who didn't were to be killed. I never believed this and thought it was rubbish. But suddenly , particularly with the escalation of terriorists, this is becoming true, Whilst living in Turkey, I made many Turkish friends, all Muslims and great fun. But there was one, who tried to blow my car up with myself and family inside, because he felt we were contaminating his country and religion. It was a sobering time, but did not and does not make me racist against the Muslims as a whole.
However, what does concern me is the number of young militant muslims within the European community. In the UK I can remember my father fighting in WW11 for the freedom of us all, and as a woman , the suffregate movement so that woaman, as I, could vote and finally be recognised as equal to our fellow men. It therefore upsets me to see woman covered head to toe, in robes designed to hide them from society, when I am sure they are lovely, pretty women. Why do they have to hide in shame ?? I am also concerned about the increasing number in the Muslim population. We as westerners are encouraged to only keep our family to the minimum - 2 point 2 children - In China, it is one. I cannot help but wonder whether in a few years time there will be more Muslims in the world than any other religion or indeed any other nationality. and that is a worry, Not because of the racist or relgious point, but because I can see Europe losing its identity of being French, or German or English or Danish. Will we also slowy see our democratic equal rights to being a comlpete European nation be eroded under sharia Law? And yes it is already creeping in. There are areas both in the UK and in France where the police do not wish to go. Individuals have no hope.
It is the young angry men, whom I worry about for they have no direction in becoming a national in the country they are brought up in. -one belief- "Surrender or die" becomes paramount in impressionable minds and in times of strive, as we are all witnessing, people turn to religion for comfort.
I am far from religious, rasict or moralist, - please do not brand me in any of these forms. It is just an observation. I would say the same if I were to witness a rise in christian cruisaders. I welcome feed back.
Well at last we are back on thread,instead of pointless remarks about different types of gendarme.
My post was an observation as Stargazerlilly has remarked.
I have 50 years of experience of France and it would now be our home except the house we were about to buy was on the new Eurostar route o Bordeaux.
So we went where other family and grandchildren were living.
I grant that Thailand is a corrupt and unstable country in some ways, but we
fear nothing from terrorism ,only Thaksin.
But France is another matter,and England has similar problems with enlarging
"ghettos" of Islamic people,and vile "clerics" who stir from their pulpits.
Yes ,it is the young who are vulnerable to brainwashing.
It seems in recent years many terrorist plots are being hatched behind closed curtains in terrace houses in the Midlands.
We should all be observant and careful.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

Stargazerlily, I think you may have failed to understand the meaning of the word 'racism'.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

stargazerlily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cupoftea
Stargazerlily, I think you may have failed to understand the meaning of the word 'racism'.
Cup of Tea - were you to have understood my thread you would have noted that I specifically stated that I am far from a racist, No, not at all. In certainty I have not one racist bone in my body and feel very upset to think that you believe I am.
Perhaps being non-racist is how I have been able to live in so many wonderful countries, integrate and make long term, close friends of numerous races, regardless of their religious beliefs. I do not consider myself better than any one else, which is what racism is all about.
Surely an observation does not make me a racist! I used the word Muslim in my observation merely because it is the religion which has brought large groups of other foreigners together, establishing what is now referred to by some as "ghettos" as they appear to deliberately separate themselves from the essence of what, I consider, immmigration is all about.
I could make a similiar observation were it to be groups of English clustering together in villages and towns outside of the UK attempting to impose British ways in a foreign country, which has happened throughout history. At the moment I live in France, and in doing so, I try to adhere to French Law and embrace what France is all about.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

That's the age old argument 'I can't be homophobic because one of my best friends is gay'.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 12:18 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread would be better off in TIO. Or at least in Le Rendezvous.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 12:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
This thread would be better off in TIO. Or at least in Le Rendezvous.
I was just about to suggest Taking It Outside.....
Old Apr 12th 2009, 12:35 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
I was just about to suggest Taking It Outside.....

I hope they get wet
Old Apr 12th 2009, 12:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I hope they get wet
Très drôle - it's still pouring hard here, too....
Old Apr 12th 2009, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

The only place in the world (and I have visited many with nearly 1/4 century as an airliner!) which I have been where Chinese, Indians, French, British, Africans, Creoles, and other minorities live together in 99% (1% occasional bickering but nothing really "serious") racial and religious harmony and tolerance - achieved voluntarily, not by governmental suppression - is ?

Name it!! (Wish I could offer a trip there as prize, but no budget!!!!!)

Last edited by Roger O; Apr 12th 2009 at 1:19 am.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 5:35 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roger O
The only place in the world (and I have visited many with nearly 1/4 century as an airliner!) which I have been where Chinese, Indians, French, British, Africans, Creoles, and other minorities live together in 99% (1% occasional bickering but nothing really "serious") racial and religious harmony and tolerance - achieved voluntarily, not by governmental suppression - is ?

Name it!! (Wish I could offer a trip there as prize, but no budget!!!!!)
Toronto?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.