Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Restraining order advice.

Restraining order advice.

Old Jan 7th 2019, 8:30 am
Just Joined

MrandMrsFrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Restraining order advice.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help with info about putting a restraining order in place (injonction d'éloignement).
Without going into too much detail, the partner of my mother-in-law physically grabbed my 15 year old daughter and pushed her to the ground on new years day (after attacking my husband with 2 pieces of wood, knocking both me and my mother-in-law to the ground).
My mother-in-law has now disowned my husband (her son), as he supports our daughter (of course!).
She has made contact with the mother of the best friend to our middle daughter (age 12), to see if she can arrange access at her (the friends mother) house!
Both our 15 and 12 year old want nothing to do with her (they witnessed the attack on my husband), we also have a 2 year old, who is obviously too young to give an opinion - I am worried she (mil) has a legal right to demand visits/contact!
She (mil) lives close to where our 12 year old daughter goes to college, I am also worried she will try to stalk her.
She (mil) is estranged from all other family (both her family and her deceased husbands family), my husband was the only member to put up with her (until now).
As I am British (hubby is French), what would be the quickest way to put a restraint in place (here or via the UK), does it have to go through courts or is there a simple way to do it?
There is zero chance of a reconciliation (as I said I don't want to go into detail, but she is a vile woman and I have only tolerated her due to her being my mother-in-law, husband feels a huge sense of relief now she is out of our lives - but is she?).
Thanks for reading, Mrs Frog x

Ps - please no nasty comments, I feel physically sick with stress and I'm also still grieving my mothers death 7 weeks ago.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 8:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restraining order advice.

Originally Posted by MrandMrsFrog
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help with info about putting a restraining order in place (injonction d'éloignement).
Without going into too much detail, the partner of my mother-in-law physically grabbed my 15 year old daughter and pushed her to the ground on new years day (after attacking my husband with 2 pieces of wood, knocking both me and my mother-in-law to the ground).
My mother-in-law has now disowned my husband (her son), as he supports our daughter (of course!).
She has made contact with the mother of the best friend to our middle daughter (age 12), to see if she can arrange access at her (the friends mother) house!
Both our 15 and 12 year old want nothing to do with her (they witnessed the attack on my husband), we also have a 2 year old, who is obviously too young to give an opinion - I am worried she (mil) has a legal right to demand visits/contact!
She (mil) lives close to where our 12 year old daughter goes to college, I am also worried she will try to stalk her.
She (mil) is estranged from all other family (both her family and her deceased husbands family), my husband was the only member to put up with her (until now).
As I am British (hubby is French), what would be the quickest way to put a restraint in place (here or via the UK), does it have to go through courts or is there a simple way to do it?
There is zero chance of a reconciliation (as I said I don't want to go into detail, but she is a vile woman and I have only tolerated her due to her being my mother-in-law, husband feels a huge sense of relief now she is out of our lives - but is she?).

Ps - please no nasty comments, I feel physically sick with stress and I'm also still grieving my mothers death 7 weeks ago.
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I don't know anything about French law, but two things come to mind - I hope you and your husband reported the assault on yourselves and your daughter to police?, and if French law is anything like Australian, a restraining order would not be possible without some evidence that your MIL is a threat to your daughters/yourselves. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to assist and best of luck.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 10:04 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restraining order advice.

Originally Posted by MrandMrsFrog

Sorry to hear of your situation.
As your OH is French, he's best placed to file a complaint against his mother's partner (Commissariat or Gendarmerie, depending on where you live), and a Court will likely put a restraining order against him.
https://www.pratique.fr/droits-oblig...s-parents.html
indicates that your situation would also encourage a Judge to refuse to allow your children's grandmother access to them. Ensure that your daughter's friend's family refuses your mil's demands, and also inform their schools.
In any case you should consult an Avocat ASAP as it must be a Court decision...
Hope everything works out.