Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Current Solar PV feed in regulations?

Current Solar PV feed in regulations?

Old Jan 7th 2019, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Bbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current Solar PV feed in regulations?

Hi there!

With my girlfriend we have almost bought the house in French Pyrenees. Among others we will have to choose energy provider. On the top of that I know I'll be installing (prior research) solar panels on the property to generate own electricity and hopefully feed in and bank or sell energy? I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with current legislation in France regarding solar panels and would be able to advise on:
  1. How is feeding back to grid operate? Do you sell or bank your energy?
  2. Is choosing operator affects above?
  3. Any restrictions limitations i should be aware in this respect?
We are both interested in leaving sustainable and ecological as much as possible but in the same time having it economically viable hence above question. Thanks guys!
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:29 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Solar PV feed in regulations?

Originally Posted by Bbird
Hi there!

With my girlfriend we have almost bought the house in French Pyrenees. Among others we will have to choose energy provider. On the top of that I know I'll be installing (prior research) solar panels on the property to generate own electricity and hopefully feed in and bank or sell energy? I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with current legislation in France regarding solar panels and would be able to advise on:
  1. How is feeding back to grid operate? Do you sell or bank your energy?
  2. Is choosing operator affects above?
  3. Any restrictions limitations i should be aware in this respect?
We are both interested in leaving sustainable and ecological as much as possible but in the same time having it economically viable hence above question. Thanks guys!
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I can't help personally, but
https://panneau-solaire.ooreka.fr/co...anneau-solaire
is the first result of a google search for "réglementation panneaux solaires". Your first port of call is your Mairie, to declare your intention and make sure that you're allowed to install solar panels in the first place. They'll advise on which official body to ask questions 1 and 2.
Completely off-topic, but if you and your girlfriend aren't legally bound (marriage or PACS), you should ask your Notaire how best to protect your respective interests - French Property and Inheritance Laws are very different from the UK and you must be aware of the drawbacks for unrelated joint-owners. Take a look at the "Partner Status" thread in the Moving to France FAQs above for an idea of the risks...
Old Jan 7th 2019, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Solar PV feed in regulations?

Welcome to the forum!
There's a lot of reading involved but the answers to most of your questions will be found HERE and HERE.
The first is a general FAQ, and the second an official government info site, so you'll see no aggressive promotions which 9/10 of other related sites show.
A word of warning. There are certainly far more rogue panneaux solar installers in France than there are cheeses and their varieties (1000's+ 'solar cowboys'). And they're a breed far worse than the reputation given to double-glass salesmen a few years ago. I've forgotten the number of times I've seen news reports and documentaries here of folks being totally ripped-off, not only with the estimation of costs, but after full payments made up-front, material being installed on the roofs, without other essential equipment, cabling etc, and the company or his 3rd party installer disappearing without trace.
To get some true examples of the many horror stories, Google 'victimes des arnaques des enterprise de photovoltaique' or similar.
Talking rogues, assureurs on the photovoltaic market have not been spared either. Prudence and prevention are the key words.
I looked into having solar panels installed a few years ago, and after much research made up a short list of 4 companies.
I met with their service reps in due course to discuss various aspects of their installations and tech features. I'd done my homework, and my last query to them was about post-installation maintenance costs. Three of the four said there were nil subsequent costs, and were adamant on this - which I knew not to be true. I then asked them for a simple time v efficiency-loss graph, which was met with a mix of head-shakes, jaw-drops and shoulder shrugs. The 4th said that any costs would be low, almost insignificant. I pushed him on this and especially the recommended cleaning periodicity and related costs, but he was reluctant to give any info. That's just one reason I've not followed this up since. I knew at the time - although I didn't prompt them - that in general, a cleaning operation is beneficial approx every 3 years. This can be performed with a low pressure washer, a long telescopic brush and warm water. I guess it's fine for the youngsters to nip up on rooftops and diy, but no way would I entertain that.
Now, had that sort of info been given openly for discussion by the company reps solicited, it would have given additional confidence in their operation, and possibly led to agreement for an installation. No regrets, although gas heating charges nowadays cannot be overlooked, which of course was just one of the major gripes of the gilets jaunes - and rightly so.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 7th 2019 at 4:42 pm.