Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Tours

Relocating to Tours

Old Dec 22nd 2013, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

elpuerto48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to Tours

Early in the New Year my wife and I will be relocating to Tours for at least a couple of years. We are active pensioners and would like some advice on what areas of town would suit us and which to avoid! Any input would be appreciated.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Tours

Welcome to the forum.

As you have chosen Tours to live for the next few years, one assumes that you have already visited and know a little about the city. Is this the case?
Choosing a particular area to live is a rather personal thing - areas loved by some may be disliked by others for a multitude of reasons.
Some love living in city centers due to the convenience for shopping - especially for 'seniors', the downside being the noise, possible lack of lock-up garage/parking space, pollution etc. Another important factor is budget when deciding on a location.
I've passed through Tours on numerous occasions, but am not able to advise on 'best living locations'. But what is 'best' for yourselves? Knowing this perhaps others can advise accordingly.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Since seeing your post, I logged onto THIS wiki site which told me more about Tours in 30mins than perhaps several visits could. Well worth a read.
Another thing I'd recommend is to make an armchair virtual tour to some of the 19 or so 'quartiers' of Tours using Google Earth, especially in street view. I do this frequently when visiting a new area or town for the first time, which can give a very reasonable, instructive overview.
Please let us know how you get on after your move.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello elpuerto48
In addition to Tours you have the immediate surroundings including Fondettes; St Cyr sur Loire; Rochecorbon; St. Avertin and Ballan Miré.
These are all served by a good bus system into Tours.
The centre of Tours is very busy especially in the tourist season.
We have friends who live next to the old quarter and they cannot sleep with their windows open at night because of the noise from the bars and clubs.
If you are looking to rent then there are lots of new flats in Tours Nord near Avenue André Maginot which is served by the new tramway.
If you have a car then parking is difficult in Tours.
In addition to the site suggested by TP, why don't check this site http://www.tours.fr/index.php
and this site for the bus and tram https://www.filbleu.fr/
Tours is a good lively town with loads of restaurants; shops and markets.
It also has a theatre and a congress hall as well as sports facilities.
If you cycle then you can use many cycle routes [Loire à vélo ] and walking routes.
Why don't you make another couple of posts and the private message system is available to you.
You can then PM me with your specific requirements and perhaps I can help.
Good luck

Last edited by cyrian; Dec 23rd 2013 at 9:36 am. Reason: Link added