Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Regional accents around France?

Regional accents around France?

Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

lozthewoz will become famous soon enough
Question Regional accents around France?

Where in France are the strongest regional accents and also the most neutral?

I studied French in Nice for a few weeks in 2006 and was told that it was fairly neutral there which is obviously what I want if I'm trying to learn the language, and that Marseille was very strong.

I'm planning a year out to travel around France and stop at a few different language schools. I was just wondering if anyone's come across accents or dialects that are just impossible to understand, and where are the best places to go for more neutral accents?

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Regional accents around France?

Hi

We live in dept 41, Loir-et-Cher, (North-West of the centre) which is usually regarded as the "purest" French.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Find Brittany quite difficult - especially when they start speaking Breton

Originally Posted by lozthewoz

I studied French in Nice for a few weeks in 2006 and was told that it was fairly neutral there which is obviously what I want if I'm trying to learn the language, and that Marseille was very strong.

I'm planning a year out to travel around France and stop at a few different language schools. I was just wondering if anyone's come across accents or dialects that are just impossible to understand, and where are the best places to go for more neutral accents?

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:22 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty difficult in Ariege but talking whilst chewing on the grass don't help. That being said our little boy has picked it up a treat and sounds like a local.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:37 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such thing as neutral French - all the accents carry a message of one sort or another.

Apart from that - the Urban area, the highrise estates, might have the strongest accents. Are they regional?

Originally Posted by lozthewoz

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:04 am
Just Joined

loutre8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

They are very strong accents in France.
In the south it looks cute, very latin, but people use words every time in any kind of situation that look vulgar anywhere else (enculé, con).
On the mountains, they are rural accents, like saying "tôble" instead of "table"
But the strongest is definitively the north ones (Picardie+Nord-Pas-de-Calais), with a lot of grammar mistakes. You can here on the streets sentences like:
I's croivent qu'i sont drôles! (Ils se croient drôles)
try by yourself
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=koHf6ud2mW0

The most neutral accents are anywhere else!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Périgord Vert has an accent which is not as strong as Marseilles. I would equate it with Mancunian in England, complicated by the strong influence of Occitan, the Langue d'Oc. so pain, chien, train, demain, étang become respectively pem, chem, trem,demem, étem.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

I am reliably informed by my French friend who knows these things that the people from Tourainne are considered to speak the best and accentless French.

Last edited by onlyonebrenda; Apr 20th 2008 at 10:28 pm. Reason: Should spellcheck first!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

There you go onlyonebrenda, I live in Chissay-en-Touraine, so I have no excuse for not picking up good French!

Sue
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
There you go onlyonebrenda, I live in Chissay-en-Touraine, so I have no excuse for not picking up good French!

Sue
Eh? Quoi? Quel connerie!