Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Odd Taxing in France

Odd Taxing in France

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:49 am
Just Joined

coldel is a jewel in the roughcoldel is a jewel in the roughcoldel is a jewel in the roughcoldel is a jewel in the rough
Default Odd Taxing in France

A friend of ours living in Australia posted us a present (to celebrate my fiancee and I getting engaged hurrah!) and upon delivery we got charged TVA.

Now, the present (photo frame) is stated on the delivery note as being worth 50 Australian Dollars which is 30 Euros. We got charged 18 Euros - last time I looked im sure VAT isnt over 50% !!

I feel we have been ripped off here - im going to contact the carrier in this case DHL but wondered if people have had similar experiences?

Also Im wondering why we have been charged tax at all? Does everything that is posted in from abroad have to be taxed at 50%+ ???

Am I over reacting here? It just seems bizarre as when living in Tokyo we never paid tax on things posted to us...
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Odd Taxing in France

Originally Posted by coldel
A friend of ours living in Australia posted us a present (to celebrate my fiancee and I getting engaged hurrah!) and upon delivery we got charged TVA.

Now, the present (photo frame) is stated on the delivery note as being worth 50 Australian Dollars which is 30 Euros. We got charged 18 Euros - last time I looked im sure VAT isnt over 50% !!

I feel we have been ripped off here - im going to contact the carrier in this case DHL but wondered if people have had similar experiences?

Also Im wondering why we have been charged tax at all? Does everything that is posted in from abroad have to be taxed at 50%+ ???

Am I over reacting here? It just seems bizarre as when living in Tokyo we never paid tax on things posted to us...
I think part of the problem is your present came from Australia, so was not from another EU country, and the amount you had to pay was import duty. I know we've had complaints before from people who've bought goods online, from companies such as ebay, and had them sent to France, and they've had to pay quite large amounts of money when the goods were delivered.
Congratulations on the engagement though.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:50 am
Just Joined

coldel is a jewel in the roughcoldel is a jewel in the roughcoldel is a jewel in the roughcoldel is a jewel in the rough

OK thanks Val that would explain it - still pretty ridiculous though - must be the highest taxing country in the world given Japans rates..!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coldel
OK thanks Val that would explain it - still pretty ridiculous though - must be the highest taxing country in the world given Japans rates..!
Maybe they should of written gift or present on the declaration.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Im getting to the bottom of it, 50 Euros for the gift, tax at 17% PLUS the cost of delivery 60 Euros which we have to pay VAT on also! DHL dont include it in their costing....

...have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous "Its 60 Euros postage not including tax which the person receiving has to have in cash when its delivered"