par train

Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

peut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nice
Default par train

Wondered if anyone had made the journey from St. Pancreas, London to Bordeaux by TGV lately and how they managed to get from Gare du Nord to Gare de Montparnasse. Is it easy and/or very expensive.
Thanks a lot, love reading the blurb.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:13 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: par train

Hi there
This is my first attempt at replying to a post, so here goes.

There's a direct métro from the Gare du Nord to Gare Montparnasse, the No. 4 line from Porte de Clignancourt to Porte d'Orléans. Buy a carnet de 10 tickets (just over 10 €, but a Parisian would know exactly), much cheaper than single tickets and you can use the rest whenever you pass through Paris in the future.
Can't tell you the price of TGV tickets to Bordeaux. It depends on the date, time of day, how far ahead you book and whether you've got an SNCF Reduction Card. To give an example, a single ticket from Montpellier to Paris, booked two months beforehand, with a 50% Reduction, costs a bit less than 50 €.
Hope I've been of some help.
Bon Voyage!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

It's worth logging onto the SNCF site, part of which is in English which will give you the costs and times of travelling to Bordeaux. Thiviers, near where I live is on the Limoges:Bordeaux line. I can get a train to Paris at 8 a.m. to arrive at 11.45a.m. then travel back again either the same day or later. Return cost last time (with my senior ticket) for the four hour journey and return was around 45€. Excellent value and comfort.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

peut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nicepeut-etre is just really nice

thank you Brenda. That sounds a good idea because from Yorkshire it's fairly easy to get to Paris by air, but messy to get from yorkshire to London, change stations, get to Paris, get across Paris to get the train to Bordeaux. Do you change stations in Paris to travel on to UK. I understand you can also travel via Lille to Bordeaux and only have to change platforms, not across the city. The budget airlines keep changing schedules and destinations and the ferry seems to shut down for the duration. So near, but so far! Various governments have promised the Yorkshire would get a good link for eurotunnel etc. but it never materialised.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peut-etre
thank you Brenda. That sounds a good idea because from Yorkshire it's fairly easy to get to Paris by air, but messy to get from yorkshire to London, change stations, get to Paris, get across Paris to get the train to Bordeaux. Do you change stations in Paris to travel on to UK. I understand you can also travel via Lille to Bordeaux and only have to change platforms, not across the city. The budget airlines keep changing schedules and destinations and the ferry seems to shut down for the duration. So near, but so far! Various governments have promised the Yorkshire would get a good link for eurotunnel etc. but it never materialised.
There is a direct TGV train that goes from Charles de Gaulle airport to Bordeaux, cost is about 70 euros, and journey takes 4h25 mins. You can get details and book online
http://www.tgv.com/EN/index_HD.html
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:34 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peut-etre
I've just come back from England, and picked up a Eurostar Timetable at Ashford. There are indeed two Eurostar trains from St Pancras to Lille with just over an hour to wait for a TGV to Bordeaux, which by-passes Paris. The 08h53 from London, arriving in Bordeaux at 18h03 might not suit you if you are going south from Yorkshire, but the second one leaves at 14h34, arriving in Bordeaux at 23h12. As you don't have to cross over London to Waterloo any more, you don't have to go far to St Pancras...