Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Reasonably Priced Homes

Reasonably Priced Homes

Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

racaille is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reasonably Priced Homes

Ah, don't get me started on happiness. I once met a guy (in LA, actually, which might not come as a surprise) who was writing his doctoral thesis on the nature of happiness. We chatted for a while while he outlined his theory: there are people who find 'contentment' which can be drawn as a gentle wave and then there are the peaks and trough people who need crushing lows in order to enjoy huge highs of happiness. I turned to his girlfriend, in an effort to draw her into the conversation, and asked her what type of happiness she experienced.

'It's funny', she replied. 'HE'S never asked me that question....'

Only in LA .....

Sorry ... I digress.....

But you might need to ask yourselves that same question if you want to move to France. And as for caution --- pah! caution is for wimps!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Rainy Day is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reasonably Priced Homes

LOL! Nice story. Bhutan has the right idea. Makes a lot of sense to me, but if a happiness vote comes this way, it will probably become one of those non-PC words (Happy Christmas is already on the chopping block) and will be exchanged for something like 'appropriate behavioral response', or 'harmony instances'. My browser even tells how I should spell.

France is an investigation, not a certainty, and I'm too old to move lock and stock, anyway, so if it happens (wife and I) it will be in incremental steps, with no firm commitments. Second home possibly ...then we'll see. However, my politics are changing somewhat. Too many booms and busts over the last decade or two. I'd exchange a few annoying quirks for a little less volatility, a few strikes and subsidized cheeses over losing my savings.